LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 48  Next  [ 948 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Keston Hiura called up, Shaw optioned

Offline  Re: Keston Hiura Called Up; Shaw to IL (wrist); Spangenberg DFA'd
Posted: May 14, 2019, 3:47 PM Post
Eye Black said:
IIAY said:
patrickgpe said:
if you ask who is the first player that comes to mind, Milwaukee Brewers #18, I say Jose Hernandez. Hopefully he changes this.

The first one that popped into my head was Wes Helms. Like you, I hope KH changes this.

The full history of Brewers (and Pilots) to wear #18...

1.	Gus Gil	 	        1969 Seattle Pilots
2. Tom Hausman 1975 Milwaukee Brewers
3. Tom Hausman 1976 Milwaukee Brewers
4. Barry Cort 1977 Milwaukee Brewers
5. Bob Galasso 1979 Milwaukee Brewers
6. Danny Darwin 1985 Milwaukee Brewers
7. Danny Darwin 1986 Milwaukee Brewers
8. Darryl Hamilton 1988 Milwaukee Brewers
9. Jim Olander 1991 Milwaukee Brewers
10. Alex Diaz 1992 Milwaukee Brewers
11. Tom Brunansky 1993 Milwaukee Brewers
12. Tom Brunansky 1994 Milwaukee Brewers
13. Duane Singleton 1994 Milwaukee Brewers
14. Dave Valle 1994 Milwaukee Brewers
15. Duane Singleton 1995 Milwaukee Brewers
16. Todd Dunn 1996 Milwaukee Brewers
17. Kevin Koslofski 1996 Milwaukee Brewers
18. Todd Dunn 1997 Milwaukee Brewers
19. Charlie Greene 1999 Milwaukee Brewers
20. Jose Hernandez 2000 Milwaukee Brewers
21. Jose Hernandez 2001 Milwaukee Brewers
22. Jose Hernandez 2002 Milwaukee Brewers
23. Wes Helms 2003 Milwaukee Brewers
24. Wes Helms 2004 Milwaukee Brewers
25. Wes Helms 2005 Milwaukee Brewers
26. Gabe Gross 2006 Milwaukee Brewers
27. Gabe Gross 2007 Milwaukee Brewers
28. Jason Kendall 2008 Milwaukee Brewers
29. Jason Kendall 2009 Milwaukee Brewers
30. Shaun Marcum 2011 Milwaukee Brewers
31. Shaun Marcum 2012 Milwaukee Brewers
32. Khris Davis 2013 Milwaukee Brewers
33. Khris Davis 2014 Milwaukee Brewers
34. Khris Davis 2015 Milwaukee Brewers
35. Ramon Flores 2016 Milwaukee Brewers
36. Eric Sogard 2017 Milwaukee Brewers
37. Eric Sogard 2018 Milwaukee Brewers
38. Mike Moustakas 2018 Milwaukee Brewers

I remember being fairly excited when the Brewers got Tom Brunansky back in '93. Boy did he turn out to be terrible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 4:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
Logs into BF
Minor league forum, link report, "Hey, SA played early."
Hmmmm, no Hiura today, "lol put on your tin foil hats"
Major league forum
What!
A Joke? Nope. NOPE!
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 4:07 PM Post

GIF Master
I look forward to Keston doing well, poorly, or somewhere in between.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Keston Hiura Called Up; Shaw to IL (wrist); Spangenberg DFA'd
Posted: May 14, 2019, 4:18 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
Logs into BF
Major league forum
What!
A Joke? Nope. NOPE!
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I'm thrilled about this. The Braun AAA vs Hiura AAA. That spray chart. I wanted this move done 4 games ago. Only difference is Shaw IL not AAA. Must watch TV for the young gun.

Only 1 complaint. CC should know the batter who produces bats in the 2 hole or the 6 hole this year. Hiura 7th... nah. Just put him in the 6th hole and watch that craziness continue.

Ha, Being TJseven7

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 4:23 PM Post
homer said:
TJseven7 said:
Logs into BF
Major league forum
What!
A Joke? Nope. NOPE!
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

I logged into the MiLB forum first and checked the link report.
For a few weeks now every time Hiura didn't start I'd say "put on your tinfoil hats" because I felt a number of people were on call up watch. If he's not playing in SA maybe he's getting called up. That was posted nearly every time.
I logged into the MLB forum and saw the call up as the first link.

Subsequently freaked out. Thought maybe it was a joke. Saw it wasn't, and freaked out more.

And 92, watch it. Just because trading a valuable platoon bat, that we currently need, is a dumb idea doesn't give you the right to start stuff like you are trying above. You don't think Thames is valuable and he's not, but that also won't fetch anything in return. Not only is trading Thames a dumb idea but you also expect back unreasonable return. Compounding the dumb idea. Having a dumb opinion gets blow back and doesn't give you licence to drag flames throughout the whole board.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 4:41 PM Post
So let's be real, it should be:

vs. RHP

1B - Thames
2B - Hiura
3B - Moose

vs. LHP

1B - Moose
2B - Hiura
3B - Perez

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 4:43 PM Post
turborickey said:
Eye Black said:
Maybe I missed it, but didn't see this posted yet.

From Daren Willman here is Keston Hiura's base hit spray chart from all of his MiLB games...

If there has ever been a player that a shift will not work, he is the guy.

His outfield spray chart is pretty even, but I'm not sure you can make that claim without a spray chart of his infield outs. The infield hits skew heavily to the left side, but that makes sense due to longer throws. It would be nice to have a really good hitter that they have to play straight up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 6:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
homer said:
TJseven7 said:
Logs into BF
Major league forum
What!
A Joke? Nope. NOPE!
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

I logged into the MiLB forum first and checked the link report.
For a few weeks now every time Hiura didn't start I'd say "put on your tinfoil hats" because I felt a number of people were on call up watch. If he's not playing in SA maybe he's getting called up. That was posted nearly every time.
I logged into the MLB forum and saw the call up as the first link.

Subsequently freaked out. Thought maybe it was a joke. Saw it wasn't, and freaked out more.

And 92, watch it. Just because trading a valuable platoon bat, that we currently need, is a dumb idea doesn't give you the right to start stuff like you are trying above. You don't think Thames is valuable and he's not, but that also won't fetch anything in return. Not only is trading Thames a dumb idea but you also expect back unreasonable return. Compounding the dumb idea. Having a dumb opinion gets blow back and doesn't give you licence to drag flames throughout the whole board.

Ah got it. I thought you logged in tonight and saw someone else had posted that.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:35 PM Post
Very nice MLB debut by Hiura, 2 hits and a walk, the team could really use his bat in the lineup.

After all these years, finally an impact Brewers player of Asian descent for me to root for.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:38 PM Post
So are the Brewers going to need to send him down at some point to get another year of pre-arby from him? The talk just recently was that he needed a week or two yet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:44 PM Post
I don't know if you you'll want to send Hiura down if he his playing 2b and hitting like a RH Ben Gamel.

All in all I'm very impressed with how chill he was about the call up. How much of a non-issue he made it. How he looked like he belonged immediately. This wasn't a Brinson Phillips looking kid flailing at the ball. He didn't let many strikes go by without putting his bat on the ball with some pop. Fouled off 2 good pitches in the 1st ab with 2 strikes. Took his walk. Harper made a heck of a play to make a foul ball an out. Then pulled one into the OF. Contact was good, doesn't seem to have a pitch region that bothers him. Doesn't reach beyond the far corner well but its a ball so don't swing at it.

Last edited by TJseven7 on May 14, 2019, 9:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:50 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
I don't know if you you'll want to send Hiura down if he his playing 2b and hitting like a RH Ben Gamel.

Oh, I agree. Yet, I assumed economics is why Keaton hasn't been with us in May.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
Below is the link for the FanGraphs call-up article for Keston Hiura. I’ve heard Eric share this hot chocolate story on his podcast before, but is a pretty great indication that Keston truly loves baseball (and yes, I realize how sappy and cliche that sounds)...

Called Up: Keston Hiura by Eric Longenhagen

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:55 PM Post
tigerbrew said:
Very nice MLB debut by Hiura, 2 hits and a walk, the team could really use his bat in the lineup.

After all these years, finally an impact Brewers player of Asian descent for me to root for.

Agreed on the first part, Hiura certainly exceeded my expectations for his first start. I was actually hoping that CC would kind of ease him into to playing. No Sir! You're up, you start! He didn't disappoint!
On your second comment, while the term impact can be debated, I really liked Nori Aoki when he was here and thought he made a impact, albeit a short one.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 8:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
rickh150 said:
So are the Brewers going to need to send him down at some point to get another year of pre-arby from him? The talk just recently was that he needed a week or two yet.

He was already in AAA long enough that 2019 will not count as a full season of MLB service time.

The only uncertainty is if he will qualify for Super Two which would mean four trips through Arbys instead of the standard three.

I don't believe we will officially know that until the end of the season though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 9:06 PM Post
sveumrules said:
rickh150 said:

He was already in AAA long enough that 2019 will not count as a full season of MLB service time.

The only uncertainty is if he will qualify for Super Two which would mean four trips through Arbys instead of the standard three.

I don't believe we will officially know that until the end of the season though.

Just extend him. I don't know if he will ever be a great defensive 2b. I don't know if the power will be there to be a superstar. What should be pretty clear is this kids hit tool is pretty impressive and he should be an obp monster. That .408 in SA doesn't look like a fluke and its not that he got on 3 times tonight. It's the ease at which he makes hard contact with the ball and that he is shift proof. If he has power at the MLB level he's a 3 hitter, if not he could be a lead off guy.

Just tonight... up the middle, BB, down the RF line, and into LF. I mean... come on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 9:20 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
tigerbrew said:

Agreed on the first part, Hiura certainly exceeded my expectations for his first start. I was actually hoping that CC would kind of ease him into to playing. No Sir! You're up, you start! He didn't disappoint!
On your second comment, while the term impact can be debated, I really liked Nori Aoki when he was here and thought he made a impact, albeit a short one.

Yes I like Aoki a lot too, he was good, but sadly the Brewers traded him. Hiura is different from Aoki and probably better, a first round Brewers draft pick and top prospect, totally homegrown and he's also half Chinese descent.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 14, 2019, 10:35 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Below is the link for the FanGraphs call-up article for Keston Hiura. I’ve heard Eric share this hot chocolate story on his podcast before, but is a pretty great indication that Keston truly loves baseball (and yes, I realize how sappy and cliche that sounds)...

Called Up: Keston Hiura by Eric Longenhagen

Gotta say I agree with everything Eric wrote.

Hiura is a pure hitter who is not likely to be over-matched by MLB pitching.

If he has really improved his plate approach and the walk uptick is for real, lookout.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 4:22 AM Post
sveumrules said:
rickh150 said:

You won't officially know that until the end of 2021.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 7:33 AM Post
hawing said:
This is good and intriguing news, but this thread needs a little more adoration. Like this classic from 2008! http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12972

Who else remembers the haiku days of Brewerfan lore? And frequent references to Anchorman? [laughing]

I'm still mad that three week stretch of mashing Branyan didn't make it onto the season DVD.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 48  Next  [ 948 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply