LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next  [ 948 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Keston Hiura called up, Shaw optioned

Online  Re: Keston Hiura Called Up; Shaw to IL (wrist); Spangenberg DFA'd
Posted: May 15, 2019, 7:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
One game into his MLB career and Keston Hiura is already at 0.2 WAR (per Baseball Reference).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Keston Hiura Called Up; Shaw to IL (wrist); Spangenberg DFA'd
Posted: May 15, 2019, 7:57 AM Post
Whole different, less guarded tone today is nice to see. Even if it's only after one game, lol.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 8:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Whole different, less guarded tone today is nice to see. Even if it's only after one game, lol.

There have been two posts about Hiura since the end of the game. Also, there is nothing wrong with being guarded.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
homer said:

There have been two posts about Hiura since the end of the game. Also, there is nothing wrong with being guarded.

Nothing wrong with getting excited either. We are fans after all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
Let me start by saying, I'm not expecting Hiura to be a superstar. Just hoping for him to be good. That said, boy did he hit the ball hard twice last night. I haven't watched many highlights of him, so this is the first time really watching his swing. I'd describe it as powerfully quick. I'm kind of taken back by it. The ball seemed to jump off the bat. I'm impressed by the first game and look forward to hopefully many more good games to come.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:20 AM Post
So let's say for argument's sake Hiura takes the opportunity and runs with it a la Braun in 2007. Is the most likely scenario Shaw just doesn't get his full time job back? Shaw has to be nervous about having a full time job when he returns from his injury. I am really interested to see how this all plays out, especially if Hiura looks really really good during his time in the big leagues.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:29 AM Post
Global Moderator
shanedog19 said:
So let's say for argument's sake Hiura takes the opportunity and runs with it a la Braun in 2007. Is the most likely scenario Shaw just doesn't get his full time job back? Shaw has to be nervous about having a full time job when he returns from his injury. I am really interested to see how this all plays out, especially if Hiura looks really really good during his time in the big leagues.

I was just thinking about this but in terms of what happens if Shaw starts raking in his minor league rehab stint. He could easily fill in at 1st and steal ABs from Thames, play 2B against the occasional righty, and give Moose a day off here or there. Plus someone is bound to get injured at some point. But if Hiura is hitting then I think Shaw's days as an everyday starter are probably over.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:32 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:

Nothing wrong with getting excited either. We are fans after all.

Agree. Feel free to be excited and support Keston. But stop trying to call out people who are being cautious.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
shanedog19 said:

I'm a believer that injuries will make our depth worthwhile at somepoint, so I think that might work itself out. I think the most likely scenario is that Shaw figures it out and the Brewers include Thames in some sort of June/July deal for a pen arm and Shaw becomes the platoon person at 1B vs. RHP.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:39 AM Post
Shaw is too good a hitter to just be dismissed all year. I know a certain someone wanted Thames out right now and a Hiura call-up, which would have been insane with how bad Shaw has been. But with a long-term view Thames is probably the odd man out. There's regression and there is hitting .160, which just seems impossible for Shaw to pull off all year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:03 AM Post
Shaw can play 3B, 2B, and 1B so he has that going for himself. The only dumpable player is Eric Thames...or you can option Travis Shaw. If Hiura absolutely mashed the Brewers have a bit of a log jam of a problem.

I don’t think I would personally drop Thames to go with Shaw, even if he is mashing at AAA. Because really I don’t care what a seasoned veteran is doing to AAA pitching. I’d option Shaw and make him wait for an injury (which will happen). Then he better get up here and produce or back down he goes.

I don’t condone dropping serviceable players when someone can be optioned...especially dropping someone serviceable to have Shaw be on the MLB roster when he has been garbage all year. I’d predict Stearns would do what he has often done and preserve as much depth as humanly possible...option Shaw...or even Hiura even if producing. I don’t see Thames getting dropped without a productive Shaw in place.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:27 AM Post
Shaw has a role on the Brewers well beyond this year as either a fulltime 3B or platoon 1B with Aguilar. Heck, he could even fill in at 2B in a pinch against a RH starter. Thames is the odd man out and a trade involving him should be explored if Shaw demonstrates he's healthy and ready to rejoin the MLB club. IMO, the ideal 2019 scenario is to trade Thames for the best package of young prospects DS can find (think Adam Lind trade), keep Hiura up at 2nd, keep Moose as the primary 3B, and roll with Shaw and Aguilar as a 1B platoon. I like Thames both as a player and even moreso as a pretty cool dude - but his offense is replicative as a LH power bat who can get streaky and carry a team for a few weeks just as easily as he can slump badly and be a strikeout machine. To me Shaw and Thames are virtually the same offensive player when healthy - but Shaw provides more positional flexibility in the IF.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:34 AM Post
homer said:
shanedog19 said:

I was just thinking about this but in terms of what happens if Shaw starts raking in his minor league rehab stint. He could easily fill in at 1st and steal ABs from Thames, play 2B against the occasional righty, and give Moose a day off here or there. Plus someone is bound to get injured at some point. But if Hiura is hitting then I think Shaw's days as an everyday starter are probably over.

Too pessimistic re: Shaw.

More likely: Once Shaw is healthy, Thames is moved. Cleveland could use him, some other AL teams might be willing to take a flyer (maybe Minnesota, he's be an improvement over Cron, Rosario, or Kepler, especially on the OBP side of things).

The problem is who to ask for in return. Probably UT Chris Williams and a couple of DSL lottery tickets from Minnesota. Cleveland's got Miednick and Gallagher who I'd go for as a lower-ceiling/higher-floor version of the Lind-for-Peralta trade.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
I guess I should clarify....if Hiura mashes then Shaw's days as an everyday starter might numbered if the position player roster stays the way it is. Obviously, if there's a move then that could open a spot for him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:49 AM Post
Too many quality players? What a time to be a Brewers fan!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:49 AM Post
Shaw is 29 and has never really been great. He doesn't have great pedigree and statistically speaking he's probably already a little past his peak. He could be the quintessential example of a McGehee/Bill Hall type who has 2-3 good years at his peak. I'm glad he has options but I'm not just gonna assume we'll see 2017-18 Shaw again. I get the same feeling from Aguilar. All I'm saying is they should both have to earn every start they get from here on out, regardless of what they did the last two years. Team first.

I consider it likely that every single season Hiura has from here on out will be better than every season Shaw has. And I don't believe for a second that Shaw's bat will consistently serve at 1B, though his defense there would be intriguing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:51 AM Post
Isn't Moose's deal an option(mutual/player?) year next year? If Shaw starts raking again, he can play 3rd next year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:58 AM Post
coolhandluke121 said:
Shaw is 29 and has never really been great. He doesn't have great pedigree and statistically speaking he's probably already a little past his peak. He could be the quintessential example of a McGehee/Bill Hall type who has 2-3 good years at his peak. I'm glad he has options but I'm not just gonna assume we'll see 2017-18 Shaw again. I get the same feeling from Aguilar. All I'm saying is they should both have to earn every start they get from here on out, regardless of what they did the last two years. Team first.

I consider it likely that every single season Hiura has from here on out will be better than every season Shaw has. And I don't believe for a second that Shaw's bat will consistently serve at 1B, though his defense there would be intriguing.

He has been pretty damn good. A 100-RBI 3B who has OPS'd well over .800 for both seasons with MIL. But there's a huge amount of wiggle room between 17-18 Shaw and 19 Shaw though. He could still be a big part of this team without being that good again.

For now it's a pretty good problem to have. I would rather attempt to work him through it than write him off. Talk to me in late July and I might feel differently.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 11:07 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

He has been pretty damn good. A 100-RBI 3B who has OPS'd well over .800 for both seasons with MIL. But there's a huge amount of wiggle room between 17-18 Shaw and 19 Shaw though. He could still be a big part of this team without being that good again.

Not sure he's even been a top-5 3B in the league at any point. Still good, but I don't think he's so good that he's somehow assured of a prominent role on the team for years to come. Countless players have been this good or better in their prime before and then faded around 30. And though he's certainly brought a lot of value at 3B, the idea that he's the long-term answer at 1B doesn't seem supported by his long-term track record.

Again, he has to earn it and shouldn't get some huge leash. He's had more than enough leash already. They can't claim his stats from his age 27/28 seasons to help them now. A slump is one thing, especially if you have more than a 2-year track record of success. But a slump this long, with absolutely no promising signs of breaking out, and with just 2 years of being a legit MLB player to your name as a 29-year-old, does not make you a core piece.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2019, 11:12 AM Post
ewitkows said:
Isn't Moose's deal an option(mutual/player?) year next year? If Shaw starts raking again, he can play 3rd next year.

It's a mutual option. They're almost never exercised, and tend to serve as a mechanism of deferring a bit of money. It's just such a narrow range of performance that'll result in a situation where both player and team will want to opt in. If the team considers the option to be well worth their money, Moose will likely think he can get a bigger guarantee either through a multi-year deal, or something similar to what he signed this year. And if his performance in relation to the market looks bleak enough that $8m (The difference between the 2020 $11m salary and $3m buyout) looks tempting to Moose, the Brewers wouldn't be too keen on it.

I mean it's not at all out of the question that Moose is a Brewer in 2020, but I think it's more likely to be a result of a new contract. Whether it's through becoming a FA and re-signing, or working out some kind of extension.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next  [ 948 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply