LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next  [ 948 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Keston Hiura called up, Shaw optioned

Offline  Re: Keston Hiura called up, Shaw optioned
Posted: July 17, 2019, 7:29 PM Post
timpep said:
crossface21 said:
Shaw has a history of not hitting well when he's not an everyday player. The Brewers know this. Bringing him up to be bench guy or a platoon player isn't going to work based off his past history. I can see them trading Moose because they can get a good return on perhaps a bullpen arm and putting Shaw back at 3B.

The only times Shaw has really struggled was at the end of 2016 and see the beginning of this year. Both times he was a full time player until he lost playing time sure to struggling with the plate. I see no evidence he is affected more than anyone else with limited playing time.

Shaw has a history of being excellent against righties and mediocre to bad against lefties. He was bad all of last year against them. There is nothing wrong with being the strong side of a platoon as a lefty as long as the rest of the roster fits that type of guy (it doesn't right now...can't have both him and Thames rostered unless Shaw starts playing a decent SS)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2019, 7:33 PM Post
Hiura's 0.992 OPS is currently lower than only 7 other MLB players who have at least as many ABs as he does...those 7 are Yelich, Bellinger, Trout, Gallo, Rendon, Garver, and Tatis Jr.

Sure, he's not going to have at least 2 hits every game - and while there's been a noticeable improvement with the K rate he still needs to try and reduce that while increasing his BB rate...but damn that kid can swing a bat!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2019, 8:54 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Hiura's 0.992 OPS is currently lower than only 7 other MLB players who have at least as many ABs as he does...those 7 are Yelich, Bellinger, Trout, Gallo, Rendon, Garver, and Tatis Jr.

Sure, he's not going to have at least 2 hits every game - and while there's been a noticeable improvement with the K rate he still needs to try and reduce that while increasing his BB rate...but damn that kid can swing a bat!

Remember too that he's just about to turn 23 next month. He likely won't reach his prime for another 4 or 5 years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 17, 2019, 9:13 PM Post
Oxy said:
timpep said:
crossface21 said:
Shaw has a history of not hitting well when he's not an everyday player. The Brewers know this. Bringing him up to be bench guy or a platoon player isn't going to work based off his past history. I can see them trading Moose because they can get a good return on perhaps a bullpen arm and putting Shaw back at 3B.

The only times Shaw has really struggled was at the end of 2016 and see the beginning of this year. Both times he was a full time player until he lost playing time sure to struggling with the plate. I see no evidence he is affected more than anyone else with limited playing time.

Shaw has a history of being excellent against righties and mediocre to bad against lefties. He was bad all of last year against them. There is nothing wrong with being the strong side of a platoon as a lefty as long as the rest of the roster fits that type of guy (it doesn't right now...can't have both him and Thames rostered unless Shaw starts playing a decent SS)

Moose did have experience at SS in full-season A - a long time ago, but he is an option. He did make a decent transition to second base earlier this season, and hit well.

I'm just sayin'...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 6:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
Clancy, every single one of us, athletes certainly included, loses range, speed, and athleticism as we get older. That Moose played SS is A BALL means virtually nothing now, so many years later.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 6:56 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
torts said:
at least when they decide to recall shaw they can dump Saldy instead of Keston

They need an backup infielder capable of playing SS, though. I mean, I guess you could stick Moose or Shaw there in a pinch, but it isn't ideal.

Hey Shaw's picked it up but the infielder that's really been raking in AAA is Cory Spangenberg, and I find it interesting that he started at SS yesterday. Plus he can play virtually anywhere much like Perez.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 7:56 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
True Blue Brew Crew said:
I recall saying that Hiura is the best RH bat in the organization which take however you want, (as an indictment of how subpar the team's RH bats are or as indicator of how good Hiura is) it's a fair opinion to hold.

I also said that Hiura will be the team's 2nd best bat for the remainder of whatever season they decide to keep him up permanently. And hopefully it's this one because I stand by it. His bat is that special. And it's a characterization shared by people much closer to the situation.

I can man up and admit that you are 100% right on Hiura, TBBC. He's exceeded my expectations in a big way. That bat has the chance of truly being difference-making. I liked him as a prospect, but in no way did I think he was going to be ready this year. I was WAY off.

:thumbsup:

This offense can be scary good the rest of the season. Now they just need to find the right mix on the pitching side.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Keston Hiura called up, Shaw optioned
Posted: July 18, 2019, 9:43 PM Post
Loved the brutal honesty from Chase the other day in regard to Hiura:

"I don't know why we sent him down, honestly."

Probably not a comment Stearns was crazy about hearing, but maybe one he needed to.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 9:50 PM Post
Anderson’s thoughts mean very little. Stearns has big picture things to keep in mind that Anderson could not probably careless about.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 10:00 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Anderson’s thoughts mean very little.

Poor Chase.

Honestly, you're right, it's really probably not that big of a deal to either Anderson or Stearns, but I think many of us felt the same way Anderson does.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2019, 10:17 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:
Anderson’s thoughts mean very little.

Poor Chase.

Honestly, you're right, it's really probably not that big of a deal to either Anderson or Stearns, but I think many of us felt the same way Anderson does.

Obviously the Brewers' plan didn't work, but I think everyone understands why they did it, even though many disagreed with it. It's water under the bridge at this point. Hiura is up now, and he likely isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 5:58 AM Post
I knew Hiura could flat our hit. But the amount of power he displays surprises me. I'm aware of what he's done in the minors, but it doesn't always translate to the Majors. But 9 HR In 124 AB, and not yet 23? He's a legit 30 homer a season guy.

ESPN's home run tracker is no more. Would somebody be good enough to post a site that tracks distance and exit velocity? Does Fangraphs track this anywhere?

The thought of Hiura and Yelich back to back for the foreseeable future makes me giddy.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 6:05 AM Post
The 'stache said:
I knew Hiura could flat our hit. But the amount of power he displays surprises me. I'm aware of what he's done in the minors, but it doesn't always translate to the Majors. But 9 HR In 124 AB, and not yet 23? He's a legit 30 homer a season guy.

ESPN's home run tracker is no more. Would somebody be good enough to post a site that tracks distance and exit velocity? Does Fangraphs track this anywhere?

The thought of Hiura and Yelich back to back for the foreseeable future makes me giddy.

Grisham
Yelich
Hiura

This triumvirate makes me even giddier!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 6:08 AM Post
I'm seeing an average exit velocity of 93.3, with a MLB average of 87.5. Is this for all at bats, or home runs only?

His hard hit pct is 53.1%. MLB average is 34.4%.

I should have known better looking at his scouting reports before being called up. Baseball Savant gives him a 70 hit tool, and 60 power, on the 70-20 scale.

Yikes.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 6:27 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
torts said:
at least when they decide to recall shaw they can dump Saldy instead of Keston

They need an backup infielder capable of playing SS, though. I mean, I guess you could stick Moose or Shaw there in a pinch, but it isn't ideal.

Hey Shaw's picked it up but the infielder that's really been raking in AAA is Cory Spangenberg, and I find it interesting that he started at SS yesterday. Plus he can play virtually anywhere much like Perez.

Then perhaps we should bring him up to take the place of Saladino...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 7:35 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

You weren't joking. He's actually been pretty consistently ridiculous all season once you get past April:

Month   AB  2B 3B HR SB CS   AVG   OBP   SLG   OPS
----- --- -- -- -- -- -- ---- ---- ---- -----
May 87 11 1 3 8 1 .345 .414 .598 1.012
June 105 7 2 2 5 2 .352 .415 .514 .930
July 60 5 1 3 5 0 .383 .431 .650 1.081

Split AB 2B 3B HR SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
----- --- -- -- -- -- -- ---- ---- ---- -----
vs. L 94 7 0 1 2 1 .266 .317 .372 .689
vs. R 224 17 4 9 18 3 .344 .418 .576 .994

His splits definitely favor righty matchups, but that's the majority of appearances, compliments Arcia as a soft platoon, and he's not completely useless against lefties. And as mentioned, he's played all over the field: LF (20 starts), CF (18), 2B (12), 3B (10), 1B (10), SS (8), RF (3)

I'm game for a Saladino/Spangenberg swap. If nothing else, this team should have some really nice depth and options in September.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 8:22 AM Post
Swapping Saladino for Spangenberg is certainly fine by me, but Shaw is the bat we've got to try to work back in eventually. (Not at Hiura's expense of course). We've seen with Saladino how much a journeyman raking in San Antonio means.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 8:25 AM Post
Hiura has elite bat speed...which was always going to lead to more power. Just a matter of him figuring it out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 8:39 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Swapping Saladino for Spangenberg is certainly fine by me, but Shaw is the bat we've got to try to work back in eventually. (Not at Hiura's expense of course). We've seen with Saladino how much a journeyman raking in San Antonio means.

That's a good point. It's a little tricky finding a spot for Shaw with 2B/3B covered and not good options for a platoon. Aguilar's raking again this month (1.161 OPS), so I guess you have to hope that continues and you get to the point that you prefer Shaw to Thames on the roster and can find a trade partner for Thames.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 19, 2019, 11:42 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Spangenberg has very limited time at SS. MLB = 1 inning. Minors = 8 games. He certainly isn't a starting SS.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next  [ 948 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply