LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Lyles was a money thing, right?

Offline  Re: Lyles was a money thing, right?

Posted: May 23, 2019, 6:22 AM Post
Most pitchers are volatile year to year. Selling high on Hader would have been a genius move too. The guesswork as to which pitchers will produce year to year is somewhat akin to picking stocks, the goal is to win more than you lose.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Lyles was a money thing, right?

Posted: July 18, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
*Ehem*

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 12:00 PM Post
Oh, he stinks again? Shocker. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 1:11 PM Post
Brew4U said:

If he ‘stinks’ what does that say about Burnes, Wilkerson, Burch Smith, Jay Jackson, Alex Wilson, Petricka?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 1:22 PM Post
Jopal78! said:
Brew4U said:

If he ‘stinks’ what does that say about Burnes, Wilkerson, Burch Smith, Jay Jackson, Alex Wilson, Petricka?

One of the bigger regrets I have is not posting, "in, before he is compared to our current pitching."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 1:29 PM Post
14 ER in 4.2 IP in two starts against the Cubs. That's one way to go from a good season to falling back in line with his career averages. [sad]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 1:40 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Jopal78! said:
Brew4U said:

One of the bigger regrets I have is not posting, "in, before he is compared to our current pitching."

But that is the point. The Brewers dropped him (presumably over money), and it weakened the overall talent of the pitching staff. Lyles isn’t a world beater but he’s effective at soaking up innings and keeping his team in the game. The last couple spots that n the Brewers staff haven’t been able to do that

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 1:43 PM Post
Ha....these hot takes aren't aging to well it seems.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 1:53 PM Post
Jopal78! said:
bill hAll Star said:
Jopal78! said:

But that is the point. The Brewers dropped him (presumably over money), and it weakened the overall talent of the pitching staff. Lyles isn’t a world beater but he’s effective at soaking up innings and keeping his team in the game. The last couple spots that n the Brewers staff haven’t been able to do that

Going into when they decided this before the season, given that Lyles probably needed to/wanted to be on an MLB roster, would you have taken Lyles over Burnes, Woodruff, etc?

To start the year they had Chacin, Woodruff, Anderson, Davies, Burnes, Guerra, Hader, Knebel, Jeffress, Peralta, Albers, Claudio.

That's 12 pitchers right there with Nelson eventually coming back. Albers they needed to keep and Claudio was acquired later, but even one with a negative outlook on him wouldn't complain about a guy that could/should be a LOOGY being there.

So the problem has been injuries and minors depth. They ended up spending the money on Gio once injuries hit anyways who is probably functionally the same as Lyles other than the fact that he's dealt with more injuries this year.

They had roughly 13 MLB pitchers already. I don't know what Lyles' situation is but I'm not sure they wanted to just stash him in the minors for $2.5 million even if they could.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 2:06 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Going into when they decided this before the season, given that Lyles probably needed to/wanted to be on an MLB roster, would you have taken Lyles over Burnes, Woodruff, etc?

To start the year they had Chacin, Woodruff, Anderson, Davies, Burnes, Guerra, Hader, Knebel, Jeffress, Peralta, Albers, Claudio.

That's 12 pitchers right there with Nelson eventually coming back. Albers they needed to keep and Claudio was acquired later, but even one with a negative outlook on him wouldn't complain about a guy that could/should be a LOOGY being there.

So the problem has been injuries and minors depth. They ended up spending the money on Gio once injuries hit anyways who is probably functionally the same as Lyles other than the fact that he's dealt with more injuries this year.

They had roughly 13 MLB pitchers already. I don't know what Lyles' situation is but I'm not sure they wanted to just stash him in the minors for $2.5 million even if they could.

It's so easy to monday morning quarterback this stuff. Why'd we get rid of Garrett Cooper again? Why'd we let Sogard walk? Guys seriously questioning not keeping Lyles...please join my fantasy baseball league.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 2:26 PM Post
It’s all relative. 2017 they missed the post season by one game. One extra win here and there has the potential to be important in September. I don’t think there’s much doubt that a little better quality of depth on the 40 man would have resulted in a few more wins this year already.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 4:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Lyles seems like an odd hill to die on... the Brewers assumed that Lyles, at his career norms, wasn't worth the money owed. After a great start in a very small sample, he's reverted to his career norms. Seems like the Brewers made the right choice at the time based on that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 5:35 PM Post
I wasn't opposed to Lyles as a depth piece, but the guy I wanted to keep was Miley. In order I thought they should keep 1 of Miley, Gio, then Lyles. I guess we ended up with 1 of them, so we still need to see how Gio actually does.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2019, 6:35 PM Post
In his last 7 starts, which were interrupted by a stint on the DL and include 3 starts against the Brewers, Lyles has an ERA over 10.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply