LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich will NOT participate in HR Derby]

Offline  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities

Posted: June 11, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
With all the negativity Harper has been getting, Machado is flying under the radar for so far resorting back to his just good/ok hitting, not his outlyer half season he had last year. Currently at a 730 OPS and .327 obp. Popped into my head when someone mentioned depth at NL 3B.

While both are having some pretty crappy years compared to their contracts/previous years, the good thing is that they are signed to 10/+ year guaranteed contracts. So they can make it up in volume...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 11, 2019, 3:02 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
With all the negativity Harper has been getting, Machado is flying under the radar for so far resorting back to his just good/ok hitting, not his outlyer half season he had last year. Currently at a 730 OPS and .327 obp.

This really isn't true. He was pretty darn good three of the last four years. Which really is no good thing for the Padres because, in my opinion, he has been a surprise bust this year. I didn't think .950 OPS Machado was going to be a thing...but wow, sub .800? I don't think anyone expected that.

Teams really sell out for these young FAs....and it has not been going too good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 11, 2019, 4:33 PM Post
I think Yelich is going to be voted in as a starter.

Moustakas has a solid chance to be voted in as a starter as well even though Atlanta fans have been voting heavily so far. Moustakas should get in as a reserve if he's not voted in as a starter.

Grandal will hopefully get into the top three to move on, but I don't see him beating out Willson Contreras for the starting role. Even if he isn't voted in as a starter, I'd be shocked if he isn't selected as a reserve.

Hader will probably be selected.

I don't really think Davies or Woodruff will get in. I think Davies, as of today, is the more likely selection.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 11, 2019, 7:59 PM Post
Yelich is a starter, and I can see four more Brewers in.

I miss the World Series home field attachment that the All Star Game brought. Without it, it is more like Pre-season football, Spring training baseball, and the NBA regular season. Very little meaning or importance attached to winning the game. Before it, I remember more and more guys leaving the dugout early to go home. Expect the same.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 6:36 AM Post
rickh150 said:
Yelich is a starter, and I can see four more Brewers in.

I miss the World Series home field attachment that the All Star Game brought. Without it, it is more like Pre-season football, Spring training baseball, and the NBA regular season. Very little meaning or importance attached to winning the game. Before it, I remember more and more guys leaving the dugout early to go home. Expect the same.

It wasn't very good even when the World Series home field was attached. I agree that it was a nice thought in theory, but there was no way to have everyone take it seriously and have everyone available. It was a fluky weird way to decide home field advantage.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 8:04 AM Post
100% agreed!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 11:22 AM Post
It is an exhibition game... why does it need to be taken seriously?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 11:51 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
tmwiese55 said:
With all the negativity Harper has been getting, Machado is flying under the radar for so far resorting back to his just good/ok hitting, not his outlyer half season he had last year. Currently at a 730 OPS and .327 obp.

This really isn't true. He was pretty darn good three of the last four years. Which really is no good thing for the Padres because, in my opinion, he has been a surprise bust this year. I didn't think .950 OPS Machado was going to be a thing...but wow, sub .800? I don't think anyone expected that.

Teams really sell out for these young FAs....and it has not been going too good.

I mean, I said Good. I was just one who was very skeptical on him being that just in 2017 the guy had a .310 OBP. And even the better years before that are in the 800s OPS. Again, that's good and all especially for someone who can play 3b/SS. But it's not this generational/freak level hitter he was hyped as (he's basically done that for one half season). Even you Braun/Fielder level guys floated in the upper 900s. That's all I was saying, I didn't say he sucked or anything. Nothing wrong with just being good, I just thought the hype was out of whack when were looking at getting him due to his hot start last year which he then cooled right off to finish and hasn't picked it up yet this year.

Age though of course is a big perk in his and Bryce's deal. Giving out those deals at 25/26 is way different than at 31ish.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 12:46 PM Post
areacodes said:
It is an exhibition game... why does it need to be taken seriously?

So it is fun fo watch.... NBA and NFL are ridiculous. Just try. Hustle.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 2:20 PM Post
But when is the last time you've seen MLB players not trying in an ASG?

Pitchers are still trying to get guys out, guys are trying to make plays in the field on defense, batters are trying to hit. They're trying to win. I don't really see the conflict. Baseball has always been the best of the All Star games.

I never thought home field advantage for the WS was ever big enough stakes anyway, if guys are considering playing at less than 100% effort to protect themselves from injury that "prize" isn't going to stop them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 2:22 PM Post
I think it's fine with no stakes. There is definitely a level of pride attached to it and playing well in it for a lot of guys. I think it's one of the few positives of the unwritten rules and all that nonsense...it's kept a level of fire in the ASG.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 2:31 PM Post
Well it's just such a less physical game for everyone other than the P/C that there really isn't any reason not to try. Football, hoops and hockey you're risking injury every play.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 2:33 PM Post
The NBA players try, just not on defense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 4:59 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I still think MLB could do more to make the all-star week more creative. They have improved the home run derby so I know they are capable of it. At some point it might not make sense to play a traditional 9-inning baseball game anymore. They could experiment with different rules, do a skills competition, basically anything to make it fun and showcase their stars.

Imagine how much social media attention they would get if they allowed the fans to vote on some rule changes for the all-star game...let people be creative. Put a pit of alligators in the outfield, award bonus runs for stealing bases, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 8:43 PM Post
Haven't watched an all star game of any sport in at least 5 years, probably many more. Couldn't care less.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 10:15 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Well it's just such a less physical game for everyone other than the P/C that there really isn't any reason not to try. Football, hoops and hockey you're risking injury every play.

Playing to win is different when the game matters. Bunting a guy over, getting a decent secondary lead, stretching a double into a triple, not trying for the Jack when contact will get the go ahead run in in the late innings, just running out a grounder.... if the game doesn't matter, the effort and team care level in these situations goes down naturally and hero ball is more apparent.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities

Posted: June 29, 2019, 9:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
Per Robert Murray...

Christian Yelich will participate in the Home Run Derby.

So not only was Yelich the top vote getter in the National League, now he has a chance at the $1 million prize if he wins this year’s Home Run Derby.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2019, 9:48 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Per Robert Murray...

Christian Yelich will participate in the Home Run Derby.

mixed feelings on this...

I'd rather he didn't participate to be honest.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich to participate in HR Derby]

Posted: June 29, 2019, 10:12 PM Post
Yelich - Is a lock now

Moustakas - Should be a Lock

Grandal - is likely to be picked for there isn't many better catchers in the league

Hader - Clearly a lock

Woodruff - Could but can't say it's a lock

Davies - Had a hot start to the season but he has had too many bad starts and isn't getting enough strike outs to even have a chance

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich to participate in HR Derby]

Posted: June 29, 2019, 11:08 PM Post
Well. There goes Yelich for the second half

Just get rid of the home run derby. Who freaking watches that anyways

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply