LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich will NOT participate in HR Derby]

Offline  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich to participate in HR Derby]

Posted: June 30, 2019, 12:57 AM Post
willie key said:
Well. There goes Yelich for the second half

Just get rid of the home run derby. Who freaking watches that anyways

Lots of people. And Yelich will be fine. He was never going to keep hitting .350 and be on pace for 90 HR's.

He's struggling now, so people will attribute any struggles he has to the HR derby.

He'll be fine. I worried more about Prince or if Moose were to do it.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich to participate in HR Derby]

Posted: June 30, 2019, 6:51 AM Post
Yelich doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to be all that successful in the derby.

Then again, I never thought he'd be a 30+ HR guy to begin with and here we are, so what do I know?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
Selfishly, I wish Yelich would skip the Derby. He’s facing his first real slump in almost a year and is playing every day trying to carry the team on his back. The nonstop activity of the offseason may be catching up to him. I’d like to see him take it as easy as possible during the All Star break while starting in the game and getting a couple of ABs.

On the other hand, if it’s something he really wants to do, then let him take advantage of the opportunity. Life and fame can be short.

Last edited by BruisedCrew on June 30, 2019, 10:52 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities

Posted: June 30, 2019, 9:19 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Per Robert Murray...

Christian Yelich will participate in the Home Run Derby.

So not only was Yelich the top vote getter in the National League, now he has a chance at the $1 million prize if he wins this year’s Home Run Derby.

Oh no...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 10:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
Via Cespedes Family Barbecue...

confirmed for the HR derby:

1. Pete Alonso
2. Carlos Santana
3. Christian Yelich
4. Josh Bell
5. Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
6. Ronald Acuña Jr.
7. ???
8. ???

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Yelich is obviously frustrates and fighting himself right now, as evidenced by his comments last night that he has been hitting like a pitcher for the last two weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
Christian Yelich could actually surprise one in the derby. He hits that ball hard almost every time he swings. Even his ground outs often after rockets. Going for homers he could smack a lot of them out.

I’m surprised people still believe it ruins a swing or it is the reason players struggle in the second half. Someone did a pretty deep study on the topic and there was no correlation between second half slumps and the HR Derby participants. Non HR Derby participants struggled just as much and sometimes notably worse than HR Derby participants.

The All Star game is simply loaded with half year wonders and people that are on unsustainable paces. A notably worse second half is just reality.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 11:29 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Christian Yelich could actually surprise one in the derby.

I think he’ll do well. I enjoy watching him hit batting practice because his line drive home runs are a thing of beauty. He shouldn’t need to alter his swing at all for the derby.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 11:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
Vlad Jr in the derby is hopefully gonna be fun. I like the pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 3:57 PM Post
As expected the Brewers will be represented by:

Yelich
Grandal
Moustakas
Hader

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich to participate in HR Derby]

Posted: June 30, 2019, 4:17 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
As expected the Brewers will be represented by:

Yelich
Grandal
Moustakas
Hader

That looks about right. No complaints here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 4:57 PM Post
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:
Christian Yelich could actually surprise one in the derby.

I think he’ll do well. I enjoy watching him hit batting practice because his line drive home runs are a thing of beauty. He shouldn’t need to alter his swing at all for the derby.

I hope it doesn't screw him up. We have seen plenty of guys that got messed up for a bit after it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 5:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting examination into the HR Derby "curse"...

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/ ... curse-2017

"To what extent does the Home Run Derby play into this drop in performance? I’m going to say little-to-none. More often than not, players selected to the Derby are those who are having extremely lucky first halves. That’s why they have been selected in the first place!"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 5:32 PM Post
sveumrules said:

"To what extent does the Home Run Derby play into this drop in performance? I’m going to say little-to-none. More often than not, players selected to the Derby are those who are having extremely lucky first halves. That’s why they have been selected in the first place!"

I would be more interested into stats for the first 3 weeks after Home Run Derby as I don't think it affects the whole second half just 15 or 20 games immediately after the derby

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 7:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
All Star Game teams...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 30, 2019, 7:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
# of All Stars per National League team:

Brewers - 4
Dodgers - 4
Rockies - 4
Braves - 3
Cubs - 3
Mets - 3
Nationals - 2
Dbacks - 2
Padres - 1
Giants - 1
Reds - 1
Pirates - 1
Cardinals - 1
Marlins - 1
Phillies - 1

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 01, 2019, 9:05 AM Post
Eye Black said:
# of All Stars per National League team:

Brewers - 4
Dodgers - 4
Rockies - 4
Braves - 3
Cubs - 3
Mets - 3
Nationals - 2
Dbacks - 2
Padres - 1
Giants - 1
Reds - 1
Pirates - 1
Cardinals - 1
Marlins - 1
Phillies - 1

Only 3 for the Cubs?! It wasn't that long ago when half of the AS roster was full of them...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 01, 2019, 10:06 AM Post
yourout said:
sveumrules said:

I would be more interested into stats for the first 3 weeks after Home Run Derby as I don't think it affects the whole second half just 15 or 20 games immediately after the derby

I have a hard time believing a professional baseball player forgets how to swing for any amount of time just because he tried to hit homeruns in batting practice. I wonder when/where this idea first took hold, I feel like it's about as meaningful towards actual outcomes as mentioning a no-hitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 04, 2019, 11:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would say any perceived drop in performance after a home run derby is because a lot of guys have really good first halves (hence the invitation to the derby) and then come back to the norm in the 2nd giving the appearance that the derby somehow caused the drop.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 04, 2019, 11:49 AM Post
I hope that MLB goes back to the Home Run Derby format of the past where you had the 10 outs and could hit as many homeruns before accumulating 10 non-homeruns. The whole timed thing and receiving awarded bonus time and needing to wait for the ball to hit the ground before the next pitch is thrown is stupid in my opinion. I used to enjoy the Home Run Derby before the format change, but now it’s hard to even watch.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply