LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is a successful season

Offline  Re: What is a successful season

Posted: June 20, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think anything short of making the postseason would be failure.

Even a wild card game loss could be explained as the randomness of the game, but they have boasted about their payroll and came into the season as the winningest team in the NL last year. That shouldn't have been a fluke.

They are a legit postseason contender and to me, that's the line between success and failure.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2019, 10:28 PM Post
JimH5 said:

Even a wild card game loss could be explained as the randomness of the game, but they have boasted about their payroll and came into the season as the winningest team in the NL last year. That shouldn't have been a fluke.

They are a legit postseason contender and to me, that's the line between success and failure.

Yes!

This team has enough talent to win the division again and make noise in the playoffs once again.

This team needs to bring up Hiura, though, and bench Shaw for at least a month.

I think Arcia will be fine -- though letting Perez or Saladino play a couple days a week might not be a bad idea while Arcia is "cool" or "cold."

Grandal/Braun and Thames should play first base; Aguilar will have to be a pinch-hitter until an injury for one of those 1B platooning regulars occurs.

Cain will need to sit against some righties/Gamel is good enough to not rot on the bench while Cain continues to demonstrate an inability to hit against righties as he has in the past.

Houser/Peralta have to replace Nelson in the rotation ... Nelson needs to go back to the minors.

Do these things and the rest of the NL Central will be shaking in their boots!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2019, 11:42 PM Post
It sounds like Counsell wants to win now (this season), but there is some inconsistency here when he says this about Nelson, but doesn't say it about some of our position players.

Attachments:

File comment: It sounds like Counsell wants to win now (this season), but there is some inconsistency here when he says this about Nelson, but doesn't say it about some of our position players.
2019-06-21 00.39.30 mobile.twitter.com d7de9fd5c999.png
2019-06-21 00.39.30 mobile.twitter.com d7de9fd5c999.png [ 13 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What is a successful season

Posted: June 21, 2019, 6:15 AM Post
Global Moderator
JimH5 said:

I have a similar opinion. The best teams don’t always win (and advance) in the playoffs, but you have to at least get into the playoffs to have a shot at the ultimate goal. If on October 1st their season is still alive than I am at least content that after a long season they have put themselves in a position to make a run at a championship.

As far as evaluating “success” with the benefit of hindsight, I think it goes beyond just this season. If this current window closes without the Brewers appearing in a World Series it is always going to be a bit disappointing. Maybe that is due in part to the fact they were so close last season, but it seems like this is the window where they have a real chance to win an NL pennant and make a World Series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 12:38 PM Post
Successful season =

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 12:48 PM Post
Worst trophy in sports. But yeah it’d be nice.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 2:29 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Worst trophy in sports. But yeah it’d be nice.

I don't know, the Lombardi trophy is just a silver football on a tall base. NHL is just a weird cup. NBA is a nice idea of a basketball on the rim, but it looks unbalanced.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
Make the playoffs and it's a successful season for most MLB teams, including us this year in a tough division and league.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 9:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think the IGT conversation is a bad place to judge "what is a successful season".

I don't think anybody is saying "everything is fine", but what (some) people seem to be saying is that "yes, there are some players that aren't performing, but there is an OVERWHELMING amount of negativity when the team is still fighting for first place, and that really gets tiresome."

Nobody is saying that EVERYTHING is fine (that I have seen), but there are posts every night like "this team is trash" "this team can't win" etc, etc, etc, and it makes you wonder how some people enjoy watching baseball at all.

I think "What is a successful season" is a great question, and varies from person to person, but using the IGT conversation of how to judge that is not a great barometer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 9:30 PM Post
Stanley Cup is the best one, not even a question IMO. But I actually like the WS trophy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2019, 10:18 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
I think the IGT conversation is a bad place to judge "what is a successful season".

I don't think anybody is saying "everything is fine", but what (some) people seem to be saying is that "yes, there are some players that aren't performing, but there is an OVERWHELMING amount of negativity when the team is still fighting for first place, and that really gets tiresome."

Nobody is saying that EVERYTHING is fine (that I have seen), but there are posts every night like "this team is trash" "this team can't win" etc, etc, etc, and it makes you wonder how some people enjoy watching baseball at all.

I think "What is a successful season" is a great question, and varies from person to person, but using the IGT conversation of how to judge that is not a great barometer.

This is 100% bingo. I agree ... I just have a really difficult time understanding our some of the guys that go extremely negative on nearly every post can enjoy watching baseball. The IGTs I would say are more toxic than they have ever been this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2019, 5:48 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Just because we opened the season with 3 starting pitchers didn't necessarily mean our rotation was permanently set with those 3 SP. Nelson was due back, and there were FA available along with trades. Plenty of ways to add SP. And opening with 3 rookie SP allowed us to find a gem in Woodruff, who might be better than most arms we could potentially trade for. Also you can look and see that Nelson/Chacin have been just as bad as Peralta/Burnes as SP...while Woodruff is arguably the best SP on the staff this year. The SP has not been as good as we'd like it to be, but pointing at the 3 rookies as the reason is ridiculous.

The problem with the three rookie starters approach is that you had to get rid of veterans that did well for you last year to see the results. If the thought was that if any of the rookies struggle, then someone else could move into their spot, who would go there? You let Miley go (who was arguably our best starter last year) and Gio go (who, while not as good as Miley, helped us big in the short time before the postseason). Sure, we found one good starter in Woodruff with this approach, but now our rotation is in shambles. This is why this approach cannot be in all-in approach, unless you get lucky and all three would have been good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2019, 6:24 AM Post
In professional sports a successful season should be at least making the playoffs. Anything less than that is a failure

Now depending on the circumstances it doesn’t mean you lose your job, etc

But if you getting paid a lot of money to play, coach or run a team your job is to get to the postseason period.

All these other buzzwords are nonsense. If you want to get participation ribbons for the year than go coach high schoo, college or your local beer league team

This American idea of tanking that has become acceptable is a scourge to our way of life and humanity as a whole and needs to be stamped out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 25, 2019, 11:44 PM Post
MadScientist said:
Successful season =

More like a championship season...
Last year was a successful (yet disappointing) season, but it was not a championship season. There is a difference. I can't wrap my head around only one team in a 30 team league having the only success because they won it all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2019, 10:00 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Stanley Cup is the best one, not even a question IMO. But I actually like the WS trophy.

Stanley Cup is simply awful, uglier than most high school trophies.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply