LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Bill Schroeder

Offline  Re: Bill Schroeder

Posted: July 06, 2019, 1:00 AM Post
trwi7 said:
Brian can go too.

I know you've never liked Schroeder. I get it, disagree, but it's a matter of opinion, but how can you not like BA? I think it's hilarious when he and Schroeder are working together and BA starts giving him crap.

I like them both personally. BA's actually pretty good about using the analytics and not just solely reverting back to the "Joe Morgan" type analysis. The type of ex player who ignores everything that made him great, ignores everything we've learned about the game that they got wrong when he played(again, even though HE got it right and was pretty much the ideal 2nd basemen for the modern era..or any era of the game).

I think BA's funny, I like his calls.

Is there something you don't like about BA or just as simple as you not liking his style?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 1:17 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I love these threads. Half of this place loves Bill and BA and the other half isn't too enthused about them. I have made my feelings about Anderson pretty clear in the past. Bland, boring, vanilla, uninteresting, safe. He's not annoying is about the only positive I can say about him and many say that's why he's so good. Meh, whatever. Rock is what he is. Knows about the mechanics of how to play baseball but couldn't explain the difference between OPS and the word oops. Pretty much your standard old guy baseball man. Loves to point out how every batter just needs to think the other way and all those called strike 3 pitches are just too close to take. The thing I really like about him though is he gets very upset at bad umpiring and when the Cardinals pull their typical crap.

Agreed. I'm genuinely curious why people are so harsh about BA. I get some people who really dislike him. But like this thread, I disagree with you on both BA and Rock. Rock's obviously not David Stearns or part of the analytics department, but he's really better than MOST of the former players who are in the booth. I know you were using hyperbole with the with the OPS, but he actually does talk about how the game has changed in that respect and even has talked about "there's a reason why OPS is on the scoreboard" now.

The going the other way thing...I don't know, I think that's one of the biggest problems with this team. When they're going good, Aggie, Arcia, Braun in particular are all really good taking the ball to the opposite field. And 2 of the 3 have real power that way(even Arcia has some). So maybe he talks about it too much, but...realistically, anyone who's calling 155 games or so a year, they're going to repeat themselves, they're all going to have certain things that they say over and over again.

But I realize if you don't like him, it really doesn't matter. It's not always a logical thing, just a personal preference. I mean..it's not really a procedural thing or Uecker wouldn't have worked in baseball for years. I've listened to games he's called and gone 3 innings without getting an update on the score. I still love listening to him.

I do think that we've got one of the best duo's in the game after listening to most of the other guys and while BA does other stuff, he's not gonna leave the Brewers or else he already would have. He's already doing plenty of big time jobs as it is. I'm sure he could do more National games if he wanted to.

Listen to Brian say the word amateur and you'll want to kick a kitten.

Damn you Trwi. This is like when someone pointed out the canned laughter on a TV shows years ago...I think it was King of Queens. Loved the show until it was mentioned, then I couldn't stand listening to it. Hopefully BA rarely says the word "amateur" and I won't have to listen to it too often.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 1:21 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
BillMilton said:
How about a new analyst next year? Last original comment came about five years ago. Only gets enthused when talking about the fantasy camp. I liked Plesac’s games.

Plesac just babbles on and on and on. He doesn't know when to shut up.. Rock gives good insight to the small parts of the game that may be missed by the casual fan who hasn't played the game. MA loves Schroeder.

Agree with Plesac, but I imagine he'd get better if he built a rapport with whoever he'd be replacing that he doesn't have now. But I thought he was awful in the games he called. I didn't like BA when he started either. That said, we've lost the last two guys we've had once they got a shot with the Brewers and BA might be the most successful of the three and has chosen to stay instead of bolt.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 7:50 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
so long as there are humans calling sports games, there will be humans complaining about them. I like our announcers, but then again, I have never felt like any particular sports announcer was worth worrying about or changing my enjoyment of the game.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Bill Schroeder

Posted: July 06, 2019, 8:23 AM Post
brooks_quichenick said:
DHonks said:
On the radio side, when Ueck isn't doing a game, I feel like the other two sound EXACTLY the same. I generally can't tell the difference.

Yes! I’ve said this so many times haha I cannot tell Grindle or Levering apart, they sound ridiculously similar.

I'm in this camp too. Have said that to many people, that I cannot tell the difference between the two

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
Lol if Anderson wanted a different job he would have it. He is one of the most sought after play by play guys in sports. Actually probably is the most sought after guy in the country. I don’t know if anyone else that does as much as him or does as many sports...and most of those other gigs are playoffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 9:16 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I love these threads. Half of this place loves Bill and BA and the other half isn't too enthused about them. I have made my feelings about Anderson pretty clear in the past. Bland, boring, vanilla, uninteresting, safe. He's not annoying is about the only positive I can say about him and many say that's why he's so good. Meh, whatever. Rock is what he is. Knows about the mechanics of how to play baseball but couldn't explain the difference between OPS and the word oops. Pretty much your standard old guy baseball man. Loves to point out how every batter just needs to think the other way and all those called strike 3 pitches are just too close to take. The thing I really like about him though is he gets very upset at bad umpiring and when the Cardinals pull their typical crap.

I think the majority of those who do not like Bill don't spend a lot of time watching/listening to other team's announcers. He's not the best, but he's in the top 1/3rd. Come down to Chicago and listen to the Cubs and White Sox announcers. Yuck. There's a reason why Joe Buck gets as many gigs as he does - not because he's great, but because most of the rest of them are worse.

Bill's a bit old-school on the stats department, but I know enough about newer stats that I don't need the announcers to be mavens on them. I prefer the color guy to fill me in on what I don't know, which is what happens on the field, in the clubhouse, behind the scenes, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 9:43 AM Post
bigredrobbo said:
I like them both, although I did warm to LePay quite a bit. Plesac, when he's on MLB Network, is tolerable, and a rare Brewer cheerleader. As a color man, recently, he was just awful. Rambling, trying WAY too hard, and a complete distraction, in my opinion.

Having heard most of the other commentary combos around the league, we are fortunate, I think. Many of the other pairs are frankly unlistenable. BA's time with us is coming to an end, based on his side hustles, and it's at least a coin toss that the new guy will be just as polarizing.

This completely. Lepay is solid, but Plesac was just bad as a color commentator. You could tell he was trying way to hard and would ramble on and on. I love listening to him on MLB Network though.

I’ve listened to a bunch of other television broadcasts from other teams around the league and it is pretty eye opening just how bad other broadcasts are. We are lucky to have BA and Bill. There are 162 games a year where they need to talk for more than 3 hours per day about baseball. Phrases, stats, information, and stories are going to be repeated all the time.

Last edited by RollieTime on July 06, 2019, 12:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
Anyone you replace Anderson with is a downgrade. And it’s a 50/50 shot with Bill. Be thankful we have these two. Many other clubs fans would love to have our guys.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Bill Schroeder

Posted: July 06, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
I don’t live in Wisconsin anymore so I’ve watched all the teams tv broadcasters and most of the radio. BA is a pro, one of the best in the business, not my favorite, that would be Thom Brenneman, marty’s Son, of the reds, but right up there with the best.

As far as Schroeder, he’s middle of the pack for me. Again I’m spoiled having Chris Welch and the cowboy, Jeff Brantley both former mlb pitchers doing color with Brenneman on the reds broadcast. That trio is the best there is, imo, better than most peoples favorite, Wisconsin’s own Duane Kiper And Mike Krukow with the Giants. Also impressed with Jack Morris, color with the Twins and Kirk Gibson, Color with the Tigers.

On the radio side, for someone in his mid-eighties, Ueck is amazing, and Levering is the best I’ve heard out there. Others must agree, since he’s with Fox doing one of their Saturday games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Anyone you replace Anderson with is a downgrade. And it’s a 50/50 shot with Bill. Be thankful we have these two. Many other clubs fans would love to have our guys.

Totally agree. If you don't like BA, you're saying alot about yourself. There's a reason the guy does major sporting event after major sporting event and it's not because people dislike him.

Some people just like to hate and be angry.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 1:18 PM Post
Im tired of Rock's catching insight. By now we all know how to block a breaking pitch in the dirt. I also cringe every time he says pozizion (position) and deesizon (decision).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
TigerUppercut said:
ThisIsMyCrew said:

Totally agree. If you don't like BA, you're saying alot about yourself. There's a reason the guy does major sporting event after major sporting event and it's not because people dislike him.

Some people just like to hate and be angry.

I agree with this take. We are lucky to have BA......even if it's only for half a season per year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 1:52 PM Post
RollieTime said:
I’ve listened to a bunch of other television broadcasts from other teams around the league and it is pretty eye opening just how bad other broadcasts are. We are lucky to have BA and Bill.

Wisconsin residents have been downright spoiled in just about every sport. Uecker, BA, Matt Vasgersian for the Brewers; Matt LePay and Mike Lucas for the Badgers; Wayne Larrivee, Larry McCarren, Max McGee, and Jim Irwin for the Packers; Jim Paschke, John McGlocklin, Eddie Doucette, and Gus Johnson for the Bucks. Those are some of the best in the business.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 2:25 PM Post
LouisEly said:
RollieTime said:
I’ve listened to a bunch of other television broadcasts from other teams around the league and it is pretty eye opening just how bad other broadcasts are. We are lucky to have BA and Bill.

Wisconsin residents have been downright spoiled in just about every sport. Uecker, BA, Matt Vasgersian for the Brewers; Matt LePay and Mike Lucas for the Badgers; Wayne Larrivee, Larry McCarren, Max McGee, and Jim Irwin for the Packers; Jim Paschke, John McGlocklin, Eddie Doucette, and Gus Johnson for the Bucks. Those are some of the best in the business.

I agree we have been spoiled, but you lost me on the bolded one above. Mike Lucas is as awful as it gets. Sadly, his radio show is even worse than his color commentary.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 4:28 PM Post
This thread pops up every single season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 8:33 PM Post
Levering or Grindle would be a nice replacement, Levering called the Brewers fox games a couple days ago and he was great.

I swear rock says “that was right down the middle” five times every game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2019, 9:55 PM Post
rickh150 said:
Bill and Brian are both above average TV guys, and I hope each is with us for a while yet.. I am convinced they are better than half when I listen to other telecasts, local or national. That being said, Brian has one eye on the clock. He is looking for the game to be over, and it is more evident as years go by.

I agree with all of this ... BA is not a true Brewers fan ... I am convinced of that. Matt Lepay is more enjoyable to listen to in the booth with Rock. Matt Lepay doesn't seem to be in a rush -- and is honestly rooting for the Brewers with Rock.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 07, 2019, 6:11 AM Post
treego14 said:
rickh150 said:
Bill and Brian are both above average TV guys, and I hope each is with us for a while yet.. I am convinced they are better than half when I listen to other telecasts, local or national. That being said, Brian has one eye on the clock. He is looking for the game to be over, and it is more evident as years go by.

I agree with all of this ... BA is not a true Brewers fan ... I am convinced of that. Matt Lepay is more enjoyable to listen to in the booth with Rock. Matt Lepay doesn't seem to be in a rush -- and is honestly rooting for the Brewers with Rock.

Good local announcers are able to convince fans that they are that team's #1 fan. That shouldn't be hard to do when that team is the one paying you. Watch how easily guys suddenly handle switching from one team to another. Lepay grew up a Reds fan. Deep down he probably still is to an extent. But you can't tell on his work because he's a professional. Anderson gets excited when Brewers do well, but he doesn't make it sound like every Brewer player is somehow "special" in the sickening way Pat Hughes talks about Cub players. You listen to Hughes enough and you'd swear Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez are not just fine players but that they cured cancer too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 07, 2019, 7:39 AM Post
BA and rock are some of the best in the business, there are some truly awful announcing teams out there.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply