LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 128 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Jesus Aguilar to Tampa, Jake Faria to MIL

Online  Re: Jesus Aguilar to Tampa, Jake Faria to MIL

Posted: July 31, 2019, 11:52 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
He has a point. They should have definitely traded Jesus for Syndergaard. That would have been a much better deal for us.

Trading a God for a God would be fair and fill a need for both teams.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jesus Aguilar to Tampa, Jake Faria to MIL

Posted: July 31, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
The thing is, aside from the Reds who are a little ways back we have done more to this point to improve our team than the Cubs or Cards and hopefully we make a move or two more here shortly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
The thing is, aside from the Reds who are a little ways back we have done more to this point to improve our team than the Cubs or Cards and hopefully we make a move or two more here shortly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
He has a point. They should have definitely traded Jesus for Syndergaard. That would have been a much better deal for us.

That Stearns didn't make this deal is a fireable offense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 11:58 AM Post
You’d think AZ would let Greinke go for nothing if a team were willing to eat his contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 11:59 AM Post
Imagine if we just got a reliable 2020 rotation arm for Jesus Aguilar. If we did, that's phenomenal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
bill hAll Star said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Well played.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
For the Braun to 1st vs lefties talk. I get it, but it still doesn't solve much. You'd just be playing Gamel or Grisham vs lefties. Granted, my eye test seems to think Gamel holds his own vs lefties better than Shaw/Thames but still you're playing a lefty no matter how you slice it.

More I think about the happier I am with this, I'd guess they were very close to DFA Jesus not long ago so to get this back is quite a pull. When I saw the trade happened I assumed some minor league flyer types, so was happy to see someone who can help now.

Add one more pitcher, starter or relief, at minimal cost and see what happens.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on July 31, 2019, 12:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
I understand that the Rays wanted RH power due to too many of their bats being lefty.

Interesting question given the 40-man crunch if Aguilar is even on TB's roster next year and/or if he's non-tendered.

There should be a place for him as platoon 1B/DH but he's probably the last priority position player. Depends if Yandy is healthy and is able to take the 3B/1B/DH role and they have Brosseau up all year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
reillymcshane said:
bill hAll Star said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Well played.

Yes, underrated post.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:14 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

That Stearns didn't make this deal is a fireable offense.

How can Stearns or anyone else make a deal if the Mets don't want to trade him?? Give NY Yelich in return??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:18 PM Post
I've devised a way we can Strasburg and Alonzo and we wouldn't have to give that much up. - George Costanza

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:18 PM Post
Here we go....
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
1m
#Brewers and #SFGiants in agreement on significant trade, sources tell The Athletic. Mauricio Dubon to San Francisco.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:19 PM Post
I liked Aguilar a lot more than most. But RH 1b-DH types who aren't playing regularly don't command a big return. I think the AL is Aguilar's ideal location. I give the trade a C-minus. Faria looks very similar to a number of guys they already have but they need healthy arms right now so he seems to fit the bill.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Jesus Aguilar to Tampa

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:31 PM Post
Harvey'sWBs said:
Faria is controllable, and looks like he has some upside. Interesting bullpen piece, although he did start 14 games for the Rays in 2017 and was very effective. Not so successful in 2018, which I assume prompted the bullpen shift (plus, Tampa gets more creative with their pitching staff than most clubs). I’m intrigued.

Where is the upside? 5.73 FIP this year, 5.08 last year. Walks a ton of guys and isn't anywhere close to being a closer. Another hugely under-whelming move by Stearns.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:35 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Harvey'sWBs said:
Faria is controllable, and looks like he has some upside. Interesting bullpen piece, although he did start 14 games for the Rays in 2017 and was very effective. Not so successful in 2018, which I assume prompted the bullpen shift (plus, Tampa gets more creative with their pitching staff than most clubs). I’m intrigued.

Where is the upside? 5.73 FIP this year, 5.08 last year. Walks a ton of guys and isn't anywhere close to being a closer. Another hugely under-whelming move by Stearns.

A guy with upside for a player who was likely a goner after this year, if not sooner. It's a minor move. Unbunch them undies.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jesus Aguilar to Tampa

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
Harvey'sWBs said:

It's almost like he pitched over half of his career innings in 2016 with pretty decent results (80 ERA-/97 FIP-).

Is there a reason you're intentionally leaving that out?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:40 PM Post
sveumrules said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Harvey'sWBs said:

It's almost like he pitched over half of his career innings in 2016 with pretty decent results (80 ERA-/97 FIP-).

Is there a reason you're intentionally leaving that out?

I can answer that ... every post this guy makes is critical of the Brewers. Every one of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 31, 2019, 12:42 PM Post
Sad to see Jesus go but I think it's a good move. Upside with Faria in the bullpen makes it better and Jesus can fit in at DH in Tampa.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jesus Aguilar to Tampa
Posted: July 31, 2019, 1:24 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Harvey'sWBs said:

His stats have been so all over the place it is really hard to know what he is. His AAA stat line this season is pretty good and shows at least some upside. Not really going to judge him by 10 IP in the majors in 2019. He just looks like a failed starter who might be a good RP at this point. Considering we traded a guy who isn't even playing full time and is a negative defensively I don't see this as some sort of huge deal. I can't really give this trade anything but a C for a grade.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 128 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply