LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 127 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

Offline  Re: Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

Posted: August 05, 2019, 8:48 AM Post
I don't think you can say we did well at the deadline this year and poorly at the deadline last year without trolling.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

Posted: August 05, 2019, 8:51 AM Post
Extremely small sample so far, but both Lyles and Pomeranz have been fine. I wish they would have done more, obviously, but the guys they did grab have been alright. If anything, the performance lately has proven than they were more than a couple pieces away from being a contender.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 8:56 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
The Brewers correctly identified that this wasn't the year to trade what little they had left of assets to chase a playoff spot when the team has 4-5 holes. They were close enough not to want to sell, though some of us suspected they should have. They instead chose to try to fill those holes to a point, while knowing that they didn't have the ammo to go all-in this year. I'm fine with what they did. If anything, I wish they had sold.

This. All day long.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Outside of Moose and Grandal who was there realistically to sell? Two month rentals bring back next to nothing these days. They might as well have held on to those guys and hope August and September fall in their favor. I mean weren't they a game out of a wild card on July 31? This team looks mediocre on the field but I don't know how you can give up on a season when you're one game out of the playoffs.

This. They did a balancing act because it is silly to give up on a season when the team is in the thick of it and is equally silly to give up the future on a team that is only in it because the rest of the division is as average as we are. Keep what you got, make a few fringe moves that doesn't hurt your future, and see what happens.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
Nice bit of GM speak by Stearns.

"Black’s got as good a stuff as any reliever in the game."

Hey David, since the Brewer's bullpen is terrible, why do we have a TWENTY-NINE YEAR OLD reliever with "as good a stuff as any reliever" in AAA and Aaron Wilkerson is on the 25-man roster?

I can only think of two explanations for this. Either the Brewers are just plain stupid, or David Stearns really doesn't think that Black is that good. At least not as good as Aaron Wilkerson.

Last edited by JosephC on August 05, 2019, 9:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
JosephC said:

Hey David, since the Brewer's bullpen is terrible, why do with have a TWENTY-NINE YEAR OLD reliever with "as good a stuff as any reliever" in AAA and Aaron Wilkerson is on the 25-man roster?

I can only think of two explanations for this. Either the Brewers are just plain stupid, or David Stearns really doesn't think that Black is that good. At least not as good as Aaron Wilkerson.

I think if you read all the quotes from Stearns, he believes they can work with Black to cut down the walks (118 as a professional against 187 innings) as well as the home runs allowed. Unless they're totally punting on 2019, I would expect they will do that in the minor leagues and call him up either when he shows improvement, or in September when rosters expand.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 9:13 AM Post
I think they view Black as a project. His inclusion in the deal was likely so we weren't trading Dubon for a rental. Gives us something for Dubon long-term.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 9:18 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
I think they view Black as a project. His inclusion in the deal was likely so we weren't trading Dubon for a rental. Gives us something for Dubon long-term.

He has no options going into 2020. So if he doesn't make the opening day roster, there's no long-term.

Hard to carry a project on the 25 man all year if you're expecting to contend.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
Reminder that next year is a 26 man roster.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 10:20 AM Post
adambr2 said:
MrTPlush said:

He has no options going into 2020. So if he doesn't make the opening day roster, there's no long-term.

Hard to carry a project on the 25 man all year if you're expecting to contend.

I would certainly hope that they see something in Black that tells them that he'll be a surefire member of the pen next year, because if they don't, I'm not sure what they're doing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 11:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:

Hey David, since the Brewer's bullpen is terrible, why do we have a TWENTY-NINE YEAR OLD reliever with "as good a stuff as any reliever" in AAA and Aaron Wilkerson is on the 25-man roster?

I think you are glossing over the third possible explanation. "Stuff" in the context of pitchers can mean different things to different people. To me, and I suspect to Stearns as well, "stuff" means talent/potential, more specifically velocity, spin rate, break, and potentially how well a batter picks up pitches due to delivery. Stuff, however, does not always equate to results, which is often times why you want a guy with good stuff but a lack of experience working in AAA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 4:42 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Other than his K/9, Black's Minor League numbers are nothing special.

At 16.8 K/9, I'd say that alone is pretty darn special.

(His minor league HR/9 rate is 0.6, and his H/9 is 5.1. I don't know if that's "special", but I'd say that's pretty darned good.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 4:50 PM Post
JosephC said:

I must have missed the time a GM said, "we traded some really good players for some really crappy players. we knew it was a bad deal at the time and we still did it anyway."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 5:34 PM Post
It's HOUSER people, HOUSER! I've seen it misspelled on this site a ton lately.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 7:32 PM Post

GIF Master
Are you sure it's not "Brogdan?"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 10:12 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Ultimately the Brewers are going to have to strike gold on finding a couple of solid starters this off-season as well as probably hitting on acquiring another impact bat.

That's my biggest concern. The Brewers failed on their rotation strategy in 2019, in my opinion and I don't have any faith they'll change their culture this off-season. The worst part of the 2018 post-season is it seemed to encourage them that you didn't need a rotation to win...just some guys throwing an inning or two and some better than average bats with a stud to carry you (Yelich). :Shrugs:

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2019, 6:26 AM Post
To answer the original posters question I feel we are better not because of what we added, but because of what we did not sacrifice. I feel that management, like many of us here, realize that this year too many things did not go our way and the high level competition is just to far ahead of us to push far into the playoffs. Because of this they are getting a head start on next years playoff push and added some interesting arms that could be vital to our future success. Getting them now give them a chance to evaluate talent to help build next years team. Did we get better THIS year? Probably not, however, I am ok with them making the hard decisions to understand that this year is likely out of the questions. Hey, we may still catch lightning in a bottle, however, I for one am happy that they are looking at this for the future. I actually wish they would have moved Grandal to add a few more arms, but we never know how limited the market may have been.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 5:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
lcbj68c said:
Eye Black said:
Ultimately the Brewers are going to have to strike gold on finding a couple of solid starters this off-season as well as probably hitting on acquiring another impact bat.

That's my biggest concern. The Brewers failed on their rotation strategy in 2019, in my opinion and I don't have any faith they'll change their culture this off-season. The worst part of the 2018 post-season is it seemed to encourage them that you didn't need a rotation to win...just some guys throwing an inning or two and some better than average bats with a stud to carry you (Yelich). :Shrugs:

My bold prediction for 2020: If all 5 opening day rotation members and most of the backup plans spend time on the DL, their rotation strategy will fail again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 5:54 AM Post
Trading Aguilar put them at a greater disadvantage than they already had against their main rival in the division. And for what? A 12th or 13th arm on your staff who more likely than not will be completely forgotten in 5 years? Yes Aguilar was having a bad year though he'd been better since the first week of June and his season was a heck of of lot better than Shaw's. Where's this supposed depth at 1B anyway? I don't see a top prospect in their system who plays 1B. There's Freitas, but I guess Stearns hasn't noticed that he's bludgeoned LH pitching.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
Depth at 1B is all around us.

We got Aguilar for free, Garrett Cooper was traded for a song (twice!!) & so on.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 127 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply