LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 127 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

Offline  Re: Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

Posted: August 07, 2019, 8:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
rickh150 said:
Quite possibly the worst Deadline in the history of the franchise considering we signed two guys in Moose and Grandal to big one year contracts, signaling to the fan base that we are playoff bound.

The Mets traded for Cano/Diaz & let Alonso mash from day one, the Phillies signed Harper/McCutchen & traded for JT/Segura, the Braves signed Donaldson, the Nationals signed Corbin, the Cardinals traded for Goldschmidt, the Padres signed Machado & let Tatis mash from day one.

All kinds of NL teams made moves in an attempt to make themselves more competitively viable, but with only five playoff spots not all if them were going to be playoff bound, no matter what signals certain fans received.

Before the season the Dodgers were the only team seen as a lock, which left four spots open for WAS, ATL, PHI, NYM, CHI, STL, MIL & any dark horses that might emerge from the remaining non-MIA teams.

With the number of teams competing for limited spots the most likely outcome for our season was always going to be a 162 game coin flip & here we are now living out that most likely outcome, spinning round & round in the air.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Trading Aguilar put them at a greater disadvantage than they already had against their main rival in the division. And for what? A 12th or 13th arm on your staff who more likely than not will be completely forgotten in 5 years? Yes Aguilar was having a bad year though he'd been better since the first week of June and his season was a heck of of lot better than Shaw's. Where's this supposed depth at 1B anyway? I don't see a top prospect in their system who plays 1B. There's Freitas, but I guess Stearns hasn't noticed that he's bludgeoned LH pitching.

Imo, Stearns chronic miss management of the roster has cost this team wins this year.

WHY IS DAVID FREITAS NOT UP AND PLAYING? WHY?

As Briggs has pointed out already, Freitas is destroying LHP. He’s destroying all pitching, and has been all year > .376 .454

His stats not inflated like so many others in AAA because of the juiced ball because he’s NOT a home run hitter, which makes his stats even more impressive than other PCL’er’s. K% > 14.7. BB% > 12.3. That’s Grisham level plate discipline, just what this team needs, especially vs LHP.

I would have traded Grandal at the deadline for a lottery ticket just to get his bat into this lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

Posted: August 07, 2019, 12:40 PM Post

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 12:42 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
Trading Aguilar put them at a greater disadvantage than they already had against their main rival in the division. And for what? A 12th or 13th arm on your staff who more likely than not will be completely forgotten in 5 years? Yes Aguilar was having a bad year though he'd been better since the first week of June and his season was a heck of of lot better than Shaw's. Where's this supposed depth at 1B anyway? I don't see a top prospect in their system who plays 1B. There's Freitas, but I guess Stearns hasn't noticed that he's bludgeoned LH pitching.

Imo, Stearns chronic miss management of the roster has cost this team wins this year.

As Briggs has pointed out already, Freitas is destroying LHP. He’s destroying all pitching, and has been all year > .376 .454

His stats not inflated like so many others in AAA because of the juiced ball because he’s NOT a home run hitter, which makes his stats even more impressive than other PCL’er’s. K% > 14.7. BB% > 12.3. That’s Grisham level plate discipline, just what this team needs, especially vs LHP.

I would have traded Grandal at the deadline for a lottery ticket just to get his bat into this lineup.

Those have been his ratios basically up-and-down in the minors and yet whenever he gets to the pros he does nothing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Brew crew 92 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Those have been his ratios basically up-and-down in the minors and yet whenever he gets to the pros he does nothing.

Barely 100 ab’s, not enough. Look at Grisham, prior to this year‘s explosion one would think the same thing about him, sometimes IT JUST CLICKS > MAX MUNCY.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 1:08 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Barely 100 ab’s, not enough. Look at Grisham, prior to this year‘s explosion one would think the same thing about him, sometimes IT JUST CLICKS > MAX MUNCY.

It usually doesn't click when you're 30 though.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 1:20 PM Post
Right, more examples to the contrary. Of course it 'could' be real but it's very tough to bank on it. If you would've got something good back for Grandal it could've been a shrewd move/gamble. Even just a couple month hot streak before teams figure him out could've been great. Thing is almost no contenders need a C.

I can get behind the logic of rolling with the 3 Catchers after Grandal next year and spending his 18ish mil elsewhere like pitching though. I'd guess the combination of catchers ends up as 'fine', not Grandal level but not a big problem either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 1:32 PM Post
I would actually love to see Stearns call up the guys that the handful of posters are always pining for (Orf, Freitas, etc.) and in an interview the next day said, SOMETIMES IT JUST CLICKS and then walked off the stage.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 1:54 PM Post
Orf got some run last year. Being that it was for Sogard I was for it, as in, why not how could he be worse give him a shot. He of course did poorly. I think we've seen Saladino here plenty as well. Of course once in a while you'll have your Scotty Pods but it's just not likely. I don't hate it for trying to catch a hot streak or lightning in a bottle type gambles though, such as Sogard's first run here or when Saladino first came up last year. Those streaks can nab you a few extra wins but it's almost impossible to predict and you're just hoping to get lucky.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2019, 2:11 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

It usually doesn't click when you're 30 though.

Yes true, but he’s been a decent hitter, it’s just the last 2 years he’s kicked it up, and when your K% is only 14.7 that is ELITE enough to translate.

As Briggs pointed out he’s hitting almost .500 vs Lefty’s. I mean come on!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2019, 5:47 AM Post
I still think Brewers should consider Pomeranz in the rotation. I understand he's been great out of the pen, but if you look at his starts for SF in June and July, he was effective in 5 out of 7 starts albeit in 5 innings only.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2019, 6:11 AM Post
I’ve heard what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger

So we are all better people after trade deadline

So we got that going for us

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2019, 6:37 AM Post
The sample is still very small, but if things continue along this track, there is going to need to be a "David Stearns trade deadline eat crow thread". The Brewers went into the trade deadline needing to shore up the starting rotation, and grab a couple bullpen pieces, and so far, that's exactly what they've done. Lyles has been good in his starter role, and should be able to easily transition to the pen if the rotation gets overcrowded. Pomeranz has look terrific in both his pen appearances and his spot start yesterday. Faria gave up a couple hard hit balls in his two-inning debut, but was effective enough to put a couple zeros up, and will fit into that pen nicely moving forward. The wild card is Ray Black. He throws absolute gas, and has shown well so far in AAA. I expect him to also be up shortly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2019, 12:06 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
I still think Brewers should consider Pomeranz in the rotation. I understand he's been great out of the pen, but if you look at his starts for SF in June and July, he was effective in 5 out of 7 starts albeit in 5 innings only.

Pomeranz has been great out of the pen. As a starter he is a 5 inning max guy. Better to leave him in the pen where he is highly effective. The Brewers bullpen has been up and down with a lot more downs than ups lately. I think Pomeranz can do more good there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2019, 12:15 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
The sample is still very small, but if things continue along this track, there is going to need to be a "David Stearns trade deadline eat crow thread". The Brewers went into the trade deadline needing to shore up the starting rotation, and grab a couple bullpen pieces, and so far, that's exactly what they've done. Lyles has been good in his starter role, and should be able to easily transition to the pen if the rotation gets overcrowded. Pomeranz has look terrific in both his pen appearances and his spot start yesterday. Faria gave up a couple hard hit balls in his two-inning debut, but was effective enough to put a couple zeros up, and will fit into that pen nicely moving forward. The wild card is Ray Black. He throws absolute gas, and has shown well so far in AAA. I expect him to also be up shortly.

Confucius once said:

"Anyone asking for an eat crow thread, should be careful what they wish for"

then he added

"beware of using your hader on back to back days. The results can be mystifying"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 09, 2019, 5:41 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

I believe Freitas with 4 more hits in last nights game has forced Stearns hand, like Grisham did with his 5 for 5 two homer cycle game, at least I hope he has. We have 18 games or so till rosters expand, I just don’t want to wait till then to call him up, when he could help us win a game we otherwise would lose because he can hit Lefties, where Shaw can’t.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 09, 2019, 6:11 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

I believe Freitas with 4 more hits in last nights game has forced Stearns hand, like Grisham did with his 5 for 5 two homer cycle game, at least I hope he has. We have 18 games or so till rosters expand, I just don’t want to wait till then to call him up, when he could help us win a game we otherwise would lose because he can hit Lefties, where Shaw can’t.

Manny Pina's splits vs lefties:

340/426/681/1.107

What is the likelihood that Freitas is better than this and plays the same or better defense?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 09, 2019, 6:45 AM Post
Very true, Pina has been brutal against righties but if they could limit him to lefties is still productive. I probably don't agree with comparing Freitas to the Orf's of the world though because Freitas wa acquired by Stearns in a trade and is on the 40 man roster already so Stearns must see something in him. It is actually kind of surprising in some ways that he hasn't seen any time with the Brewers yet since it would be so easy to call him up and send him back down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 09, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
TigerUppercut said:
Brew crew 92 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Manny Pina's splits vs lefties:

340/426/681/1.107

What is the likelihood that Freitas is better than this and plays the same or better defense?

Freitas at 1B vs Lefty’s since as Briggs has already pointed out, he’s hitting almost .500 against them. He’s been playing 1B at AAA as well as catching. Between the 3 of them they can make it work, and it can give Grandal more rest behind the plate, and or some rest days too, which he can use imo. We face 2 lefties this weekend........

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

Posted: August 09, 2019, 7:07 AM Post
So now Freitas plays over Grandal (or possibly Braun) at 1B? No thanks.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 127 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply