LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 85 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Will we win the NL Central?

Online  Re: Will we win the NL Central?

Posted: August 28, 2019, 7:05 AM Post
I don't think a single person thinks this team is as good as last year's or even close. Only until very recently were they positioned any better in the standings. For a long time they were within a game of WC2, tied or had sole possession of it. Also, their team might have been better last year, but so was the competition. The fact remains they still have a chance and one good week could put them right back in it. Likely? No, that's reflected in their 10% odds. But what were the odds of winning the Central at this point last year? I'd be pretty surprised if they were 10%.

If they make some call ups and go 8-2 people will suddenly stop acting like it's the worst team in franchise history. I'm totally resigned to the fact this team isn't making the playoffs, but they still could.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Will we win the NL Central?

Posted: August 28, 2019, 7:09 AM Post
Definite not the worst team in History but think the fans expectations were super high after last year run.
I don't see us making the playoffs especially with another starter going down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 28, 2019, 7:18 AM Post
Yeah, but few people predicted they'd win more than 90 games this year. After all that went wrong, with absolutely horrendous regression from guys like Shaw, Aguilar, Chacin and Burnes, and a disappointing year from Cain, injuries to Knebel, Woodruff late, really, it kinda makes sense they will probably end up around 83. I think it was a pretty plausible outcome in preseason that 2 of MKE/STL/CHC would make the playoffs and the other would be one of the bubble teams. Unfortunately it looks like that will be us.

It's been a bad year, no doubt about it. Some bad luck and some bad decisions that bit us. In spite of that, they are still playing (losing) meaningful games this late in the year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 28, 2019, 8:24 AM Post
I’d have to think that we were just as disappointed in the 2009 and 2012 playoff-follow up seasons as we are now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 28, 2019, 9:02 AM Post
When Sabathia left it was a big gut punch. The feeling was that it would be tough to do it again. Fielder's production was for the most part replaced by A-Ram. That team was still good. If you just look at the stats, the offense was ridiculous and the SP was good. The bullpen was atrocious. So yes, that year was very disappointing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 28, 2019, 9:15 AM Post
NYChez said:
I’d have to think that we were just as disappointed in the 2009 and 2012 playoff-follow up seasons as we are now.

I know that I wasn’t as disappointed in either of those seasons, though 2012 might have been close.

In 2009, Sabbathia was gone and Sheets was down with injuries, taking away the one-two punch that propelled them into playoff position and gave them just enough cushion when they collapsed in September, in part because of Sheets’ injuries. Throw in the manager change and it was a significantly different team.

In 2012, Fielder was gone and the Braun suspension threat put a cloud over the offseason. The way Wolf and Marcum finished the 2011 season made the starting rotation questionable too.

The 2019 Brewers seemed to have a good chance to have improved offense and equal or better pitching, with more options than they had as starters to begin 2018. I didn’t expect 95 wins again, but thought 90 was a real possibility and better wasn’t out of the question. There were none of those questions of “Can they replace the production they got from...” any of the major contributors in 2018.

It was pretty apparent by the All Star break that both the hitting and the pitching were falling far short of expectations, much less hopes. And nothing has changed since then.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:26 PM Post
Just a weak and a half ago I think I saw that one of those "computer analysis" deals was giving the Cubs a 75% chance of winning the N.L. Central. I never believe those computer predictions. lol

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 10:36 PM Post
Welp, I guess we know the answer now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 5:25 AM Post
Bigal said:
Just a weak and a half ago I think I saw that one of those "computer analysis" deals was giving the Cubs a 75% chance of winning the N.L. Central. I never believe those computer predictions. lol

The Cubs are only 2.5 games behind the Cardinals and have 7 head to head games left.

I wouldn’t count them out yet.

This season appears to be confirming my annual expectation that it takes about 90 wins to make the playoffs. If a team can win a division or sneak into the second wild card spot with less than 90 wins, it has been just as much lucky as good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 5:06 AM Post
BruisedCrew said:
Bigal said:

The Cubs are only 2.5 games behind the Cardinals and have 7 head to head games left.

I wouldn’t count them out yet.

This season appears to be confirming my annual expectation that it takes about 90 wins to make the playoffs. If a team can win a division or sneak into the second wild card spot with less than 90 wins, it has been just as much lucky as good.

Cubs are really falling apart of late. The injuries are really starting to pile up for them as well. I think they're cooked.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
Say the Cubs don't make the playoffs, think they fire Madden? They've dumped tons into payroll, bought starters, have 3 MVP level hitters. Same question if they make it but lose to WAS in the WC game? I'd still guess they keep him no matter what, but as far as I can tell his contract is up this year. So, keeping would likely require a 3-4 year contract as opposed to the normal decision of just not firing and keeping current contract going.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on September 10, 2019, 12:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 12:11 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Say the Cubs don't make the playoffs, think they fire Madden? They've dumped tons into payroll, bouthg starters, have 3 MVP level hitters. Same question if they make it but lose to WAS in the WC game? I'd still guess they keep him no matter what, but as far as I can tell his contract is up this year. So, keeping would likely require a 3-4 year contract as opposed to the normal decision of just not firing and keeping current contract going.

Short of the Cubs winning the pennant the Cubs will part ways with Maddon after the 2019 season. On the surface its pretty unbelievable they'd consider dumping a manager who took them to four straight playoff appearances (probably/possibly 5), 2 NLCS, and 1 world series title.

However.... virtually every member of the rotation and starting lineup has been to the All-Star game. They're second in total payroll (into the luxury tax), dumped a ton of money mid-season into the back end of the bullpen with Kimbrel, caught lightning in a bottle with Castellanos. They're 6th in the NL in runs scored, 3rd in runs allowed, yet only have the 5th best record in the NL.

Epstein isn't going to take any heat yet, it is Joe Maddon who will pay the price for not meeting heightened expectations.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 1:44 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I know most Cubs fans share the view that they are toast. But the reality that I observed last night was Cubs prospects carrying them to an easy victory...plus they still have a 2-game buffer over everyone else. They wouldn't be the first team to stumble into the playoffs. Not saying they will, but somebody has to win some games and make up the gap.

Would love to get Maddon out of the division, that would just be extra great.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
Personally I don't think they're toast. I'd still call them the favorite right now for sure. I do think they'll lose at last one to SD though and a good chance at 2. Get our 3/4 and we should be in good shape but no way I think they're toast. I'd expect them in it until the end and I'd pick them over anyone else if I had to pick. Sure their pen is trash but they still have good hitters even without Baez and veteran starters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 6:36 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Personally I don't think they're toast. I'd still call them the favorite right now for sure. I do think they'll lose at last one to SD though and a good chance at 2. Get our 3/4 and we should be in good shape but no way I think they're toast. I'd expect them in it until the end and I'd pick them over anyone else if I had to pick. Sure their pen is trash but they still have good hitters even without Baez and veteran starters.

The favorite for what?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 7:21 PM Post
Anyone ready for some Webbs?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 8:34 PM Post
Bigal said:

A 25% chance to not win the division is still a really good chance to not win it, not sure what you are trying to say here. If you are supposed to do something 3 times out of 4 you still fail at it 1 time out of 4 which is pretty darn common.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 8:43 PM Post
Brewers

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 9:45 PM Post
Cardinals lose, Brewers 4 back.

This race isn’t over either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 9:52 PM Post
Keep the divisional race and both wild card races going as long as possible.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 85 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply