LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wildcard game

Offline  Re: Wildcard game

Posted: August 26, 2019, 1:26 PM Post

Roster Guru
the athletic is seeking your vote on twitter . . .

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Wildcard game

Posted: August 26, 2019, 2:40 PM Post
If the game was tomorrow, Gio Gonzalez. It is a bullpen game, I like Gio as a guy to get those first 3-4 innings.

I have a feeling Adrian Houser could probably prove himself to have that role in a month though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2019, 2:42 PM Post
Suter doesn't seem to be getting enough write-ins...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2019, 2:46 PM Post
Eye Black said:
I think another good question is which team you would prefer to play in the Wild Card game?

I would rank the possibilities as follows (in order of most preferred opponent to least preferred)...

1) Phillies (likely starter: RHP Aaron Nola)
2) Cardinals (likely starter: RHP Miles Mikolas)
3) Diamondbacks (likely starter: LHP Robbie Ray)
4) Mets (likely starter: RHP Jacob deGrom)
5) Cubs (likely starter: Anybody’s guess what Maddon would do against the Brewers in a WC game)
6) Nationals (likely starter: RHP Max Scherzer)

If all of those teams are fighting for a wild card, they wouldn't have any more control over who to pitch in the game than the Brewers do. They certainly won't be able to set up their rotation. Any of those pitchers you listed may be pitching game 162.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2019, 3:05 PM Post
Underachiever said:
Eye Black said:
I think another good question is which team you would prefer to play in the Wild Card game?

I would rank the possibilities as follows (in order of most preferred opponent to least preferred)...

1) Phillies (likely starter: RHP Aaron Nola)
2) Cardinals (likely starter: RHP Miles Mikolas)
3) Diamondbacks (likely starter: LHP Robbie Ray)
4) Mets (likely starter: RHP Jacob deGrom)
5) Cubs (likely starter: Anybody’s guess what Maddon would do against the Brewers in a WC game)
6) Nationals (likely starter: RHP Max Scherzer)

If all of those teams are fighting for a wild card, they wouldn't have any more control over who to pitch in the game than the Brewers do. They certainly won't be able to set up their rotation. Any of those pitchers you listed may be pitching game 162.

If the Nationals keep rolling they could be in position to clinch the first wild card spot before the final weekend and set things up to pitch one of their aces in the WC game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2019, 8:27 AM Post
I think Flaherty would be the Cards' first choice.

Also with the Nats/Mets, if you face them, you could get deGrom for 5 and Thor for 3 or Scherzer for 5 and Stras for 3 if those teams are willing to pull out the stops. Or if it's against the Brewers, maybe Corbin would come in in the middle of the game to mow down Grandal/Yelich/Mous/Thames in some order.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 12:10 PM Post

Roster Guru
if the club is able to stretch him out, i'm leaning towards brent suter. i absolutely love how he keeps hitters off-balance by working so fast. i think it would put undue pressure on the hitters and make them press more.

and he's the guy i want fielding the ball on an infield dribbler.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Wildcard game

Posted: September 09, 2019, 12:16 PM Post
If we make the WC game we are going to be throwing so much crap at the wall the starter will hardly be meaningful. That’s just how this team is built. 2-3 innings max if we are trying to win a 1 game playoff. Lyles/Suter/Pom/Hader/Gio/etc.

Whoever didn’t pitch 3+ the day before better be ready.No need for Suter to be stretched out. He ain’t pitching 4+ innings anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 3:35 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
If we make the WC game we are going to be throwing so much crap at the wall the starter will hardly be meaningful. That’s just how this team is built. 2-3 innings max if we are trying to win a 1 game playoff. Lyles/Suter/Pom/Hader/Gio/etc.

Whoever didn’t pitch 3+ the day before better be ready.No need for Suter to be stretched out. He ain’t pitching 4+ innings anyway.

Exactly. CC will use every pitcher he has. They are all "out-getters" and he'll go to individual match-ups. Where it gets tricky is if the game would go extra innings. He'd likely keep a "starter" in reserve just in case.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 3:44 PM Post
AJOHNSON104 said:
MrTPlush said:

Exactly. CC will use every pitcher he has. They are all "out-getters" and he'll go to individual match-ups. Where it gets tricky is if the game would go extra innings. He'd likely keep a "starter" in reserve just in case.

Don’t forget Woody. They can have scherzer or Strasburg or Corbin. I’ll take Woody for 3 or 4, then our pen over there’s.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply