LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Long-term extension thoughts: Hiura and Grisham

Offline  Re: Long-term extension thoughts: Hiura and Grisham

Posted: August 11, 2019, 1:05 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Grisham is going to be a superstar type player, and I’m not the only one who has that opinion. And because it looks like our payroll will always be below league average, it is precisely that fact, as to why we can’t wait.

I know you have cut the brake lines, but drag your feet, downshift, do something, because you really need to tap the brakes on some of your prospect love.

That’s what what you told me a month ago when I said the crew should call up Grisham to ignite this offense.

Please don’t toot your horn. You have been wrong on A LOT of things since you’ve come around. Throw enough stuff on the wall and hope it sticks I guess.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Please don’t toot your horn. You have been wrong on A LOT of things since you’ve come around. Throw enough stuff on the wall and hope it sticks I guess.

OT but every time I see your name I add tra-la-la-la-la after it in my head because I don't have enough annoying Beatles references in my life.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2019, 1:49 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Neither. Maybe next season.

This

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2019, 4:12 PM Post
I would prefer Woodruff first. Especially if he's just emerging, he could be had at quite a value. Again though, in the off season or this time next year.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2019, 4:14 PM Post
I am sorry but lets wait till next year and see what they are doing.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Long-term extension thoughts: Hiura and Grisham

Posted: August 11, 2019, 4:43 PM Post
phnxcrew said:
I would prefer Woodruff first. Especially if he's just emerging, he could be had at quite a value. Again though, in the off season or this time next year.

Woodruff is actually one I'd probably stay away from. He is already under control through age 32. Especially being a pitcher I'd be wary going beyond that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2019, 4:43 PM Post
I will offer an extension to anyone at any time (essentially). It is going to be subject to the amount of risk though. No reason to really not.

You can only have so many of such contract at once though. Can’t just hand them out to 4, 5, or more guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2019, 5:01 PM Post
still glad Villar did not grab that extension

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2019, 5:08 PM Post
brewmann04 said:

Villar is a solid player. He was worth 2 WAR last year and has been worth 2.1 so far this year.

If he were here he would not be playing much 2B, but he'd probably be filling in a lot at SS and some 3B against lefties.

The deal was something like 4 years $20M, it would not have been that big of a deal for us if he had taken that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 12, 2019, 11:28 AM Post
Are players still taking pre-arbitration extensions? For awhile a lot of players were taking them, but then players like Anthony Rizzo for example, substantially outperformed the contract, and while I haven't looked it up it seems like the players have shied away from those team friendly commitments.

Albies and Acuna are a different kettle of fish than Grisham and Hiura also. Albies signed a $350,000 contract when he was 16. Acuna signed a $100,000 when he was 16. Both players were from the Venezuela area at the time of their signing. By comparison, Grisham signed a 2.7 million dollar contract when he was drafted out of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Hiura signed a 4 million dollar contract when he was drafted out of the Los Angeles area. Those players growing up in America with multi-million dollar signing bonuses may have a different perspective on guaranteed money than Albies and Acuna.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 12, 2019, 11:31 AM Post
adambr2 said:
brewmann04 said:

Villar is a solid player. He was worth 2 WAR last year and has been worth 2.1 so far this year.

If he were here he would not be playing much 2B, but he'd probably be filling in a lot at SS and some 3B against lefties.

The deal was something like 4 years $20M, it would not have been that big of a deal for us if he had taken that.

He is like the dumbest baserunner ever though.

Villar likely will make that money despite turning down the extension. He is probably in line for $8mil+ in his last year of arby, made 4.85mil this year, and 2.55mil last year. That is already over $15mil. So he lost out on maybe $5mil or so...meh, not the worst mistake.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 12, 2019, 7:49 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
I will offer an extension to anyone at any time (essentially). It is going to be subject to the amount of risk though. No reason to really not.

[laughing]

Except when you won't, must've changed your mind in a matter of four hours:

Lyles?

Let’s calm down a bit.

There is literally zero reason to extend either of these guys before FA. You think there will be a bidding war for those guys?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=1246562#p1246562

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 12, 2019, 8:29 PM Post
yfinn6 said:
MrTPlush said:

[laughing]

Lyles?

Let’s calm down a bit.

There is literally zero reason to extend either of these guys before FA. You think there will be a bidding war for those guys?

When he said "(essentially)", I think the implication was that he meant amongst people he actually wanted on the team (if he's GM).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 12, 2019, 8:58 PM Post
yfinn6 said:
MrTPlush said:

[laughing]

Lyles?

Let’s calm down a bit.

Well this thread seemed aimed much more at long term pieces and more specifically guys way away from FA. Lyles and Gonzalez are a month+ from free agency. I don’t think extensions close to FA like that ever benefit the team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
In no form should you consider extending Trent G. He was an afterthought prior to this season's statistics. This shouldnt be a discussion until hes a full 300 games in to his career, After he's shown he is this player moving forward beyond a year's worth of games.
Hiura is a simple yes on extension candidate. From day 1 he's lived up to the batting skills hype. This isnt a surprise at what hes accomplishing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2019, 10:18 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
In no form should you consider extending Trent G. He was an afterthought prior to this season's statistics. This shouldnt be a discussion until hes a full 300 games in to his career, After he's shown he is this player moving forward beyond a year's worth of games.
Hiura is a simple yes on extension candidate. From day 1 he's lived up to the batting skills hype. This isnt a surprise at what hes accomplishing.

Grisham was the 15th overall pick in the entire draft, so like Hiura the pedigree is actually there, if you want to wait that’s fine, but after 300 games the extension’s gonna cost you another 30-50 million. Low mid market team needs to be ahead of the curve to have any chance at a World Series title.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
Or guys can wash out after looking promising. It happens all the time. He's not going to have significantly more bargaining power a year from now than he does now even if he does well. He's still 5ish years from FA at that point

Last edited by tmwiese55 on August 13, 2019, 12:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2019, 10:46 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

Grisham was the 15th overall pick in the entire draft, so like Hiura the pedigree is actually there, if you want to wait that’s fine, but after 300 games the extension’s gonna cost you another 30-50 million. Low mid market team needs to be ahead of the curve to have any chance at a World Series title.

You mean potential, not pedigree. What led to this production? A setup change? How he holds the bat? The leg kick? Remember how that helped Broxton for a short time? This is why I want 300games before you consider an extension. Old habits die hard, this offseason Grisham returns a little to old habits and goes back to the unremarkable prospect he was leading in to '19? You have him controlled 6more seasons. You cant jump at the first sign of production. Wily Peralta?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2019, 12:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
So this debate on Trent doesn't spin too far out of control, remember, we won't know what the right answer is for several years down the road. So state your case, and reasons why, but let's not argue like there is a right and wrong answer we can figure out today. You'll only end up mad.

I'm in the camp of waiting on him because this new offense has been a new trend. I don't want to act on something that fresh. Hiura, I'm all for it. He's living up to the hype, as many of said, one of the best young bats in MLB.

"Low mid market team needs to be ahead of the curve to have any chance at a World Series title." - Brew Crew 92

This same ideology can sink a small market team quickly as well. It only takes a few bad gambles and they will struggle for several years. I'd almost argue they need to be more conservative on giving out new contracts super early.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2019, 1:08 PM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
So this debate on Trent doesn't spin too far out of control, remember, we won't know what the right answer is for several years down the road. So state your case, and reasons why, but let's not argue like there is a right and wrong answer we can figure out today. You'll only end up mad.

I'm in the camp of waiting on him because this new offense has been a new trend. I don't want to act on something that fresh. Hiura, I'm all for it. He's living up to the hype, as many of said, one of the best young bats in MLB.

"Low mid market team needs to be ahead of the curve to have any chance at a World Series title." - Brew Crew 92

This same ideology can sink a small market team quickly as well. It only takes a few bad gambles and they will struggle for several years. I'd almost argue they need to be more conservative on giving out new contracts super early.

I think the answer really is, "It depends."

With some players, like Hiura, Weeks, and Braun, an extension is arguably a good idea. Other players may be bad risks. like Villar.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply