LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers designate Wilkerson, Stokes

Offline    Brewers designate Wilkerson, Stokes

Posted: September 01, 2019, 9:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brewers designate Wilkerson and Stokes for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Suter and Nelson.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/09/ ... tokes.html

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers designate Wilkerson, Stokes

Posted: September 01, 2019, 9:50 AM Post
Freitas, Tyler Austin (selected), Peralta and Faria have all been recalled as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 1:41 PM Post
Wilkerson I could go either way on.

Stokes, OTOH, would be a huge loss if someone else claims him. Had some injury problems early, but is a poor man's LoCain with more power and less contact hitting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 1:57 PM Post
clancyphile said:

Stokes, OTOH, would be a huge loss if someone else claims him. Had some injury problems early, but is a poor man's LoCain with more power and less contact hitting.

Cain is an elite defensive CF. Stokes is a left fielder due to his arm. A player like Stokes needs to hit *much* better than a player like Cain to be as valuable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 4:15 PM Post
Lathund said:
clancyphile said:

Cain is an elite defensive CF. Stokes is a left fielder due to his arm. A player like Stokes needs to hit *much* better than a player like Cain to be as valuable.

I did say poor man's LoCain.

He's good with OBP skills. Not so much on the hit for average, but he also has speed - and played some CF.

I suppose I'd say he's more a Brady Clark who traded the hit-for-average tool for a better power bat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 4:53 PM Post
I never understood what people here saw in Stokes. There's still time as he's only 23, I guess, but he's a guy who's never OPS'd over 800 at any level. I mean, 4th and 5th OF's are the one position that actually does grow on trees and that's what he likely is at peak based on his performance to date. Definitely not a huge loss.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 5:22 PM Post
TigerUppercut said:
I never understood what people here saw in Stokes. There's still time as he's only 23, I guess, but he's a guy who's never OPS'd over 800 at any level. I mean, 4th and 5th OF's are the one position that actually does grow on trees and that's what he likely is at peak based on his performance to date. Definitely not a huge loss.

I agree. Stokes was their #20 prospect. He's a 40 hit and 40 arm guy who tops out at maybe a 5th OF. No loss if somebody else picks him up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 5:59 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
TigerUppercut said:

I agree. Stokes was their #20 prospect. He's a 40 hit and 40 arm guy who tops out at maybe a 5th OF. No loss if somebody else picks him up.

Another+1.

Stokes is an outfielder without big power, without excellent speed, and without big OBP numbers.

To make matters worse he's not a big dude, so it is doubtful there is upside.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 7:46 PM Post
After Caleb Gindl failed to succeed in the majors, I haven't been on the Stokes bangwagon. I hope he works out, but I'm not optimistic

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 9:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
I have generally viewed Stokes as a backup OF. He offered a nice blend of speed and power, and took his walks, but the hit tool wasn't great, and his defense was limiting due to his weak arm.

Even if he didn't hit a lot, he was pretty consistent, and I liked how he maintained his production going up the minor league ladder. However, this year was tough. He's not been good. But in his defense, he had multiple injuries early on, and it hurt this production. He's hit better in the 2nd half of this year (.763 OPS), but not really that good considering the numbers being put up in the PCL.

Due to the injuries, I really thought he'd be given a mulligan this year - but I guess not.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 9:26 PM Post
Stokes was also the 7th OF on the roster. If they are planning to add Corey Ray to protect him from the Rule 5 draft, then they would have 8 OFs on the roster. I think this played into the decision as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2019, 10:59 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
I have generally viewed Stokes as a backup OF. He offered a nice blend of speed and power, and took his walks, but the hit tool wasn't great, and his defense was limiting due to his weak arm.

Even if he didn't hit a lot, he was pretty consistent, and I liked how he maintained his production going up the minor league ladder. However, this year was tough. He's not been good. But in his defense, he had multiple injuries early on, and it hurt this production. He's hit better in the 2nd half of this year (.763 OPS), but not really that good considering the numbers being put up in the PCL.

Due to the injuries, I really thought he'd be given a mulligan this year - but I guess not.

he can be. he won't be claimed. He'll make it through the Rule 5 draft. He'll be in San Antonio next year

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2019, 5:53 AM Post
My guess is that a few weeks ago this decision would have been between Stokes and Taylor. Taylor probably saved his job with his recent hot streak.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2019, 12:12 PM Post

Roster Guru
troy stokes, jr. has been claimed off waivers by detroit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2019, 12:17 PM Post
DHonks said:
reillymcshane said:

he can be. he won't be claimed. He'll make it through the Rule 5 draft. He'll be in San Antonio next year

Or he will be claimed by the Tigers....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2019, 1:05 PM Post
djoctagone said:

Ehh ... Stokes has some talent, and I guess is still young enough at 23 to put things together. But he isn't a good enough defender to regularly play CF, and he just doesn't have the offensive upside and profile to ever really be a regular in the corner OF. Hate to lose talented players, but that's part of the business.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
Contrary to others I am disappointed they lost him. It is not like the Brewers have a good farm system, would not have been difficult to get rid of somebody else with no options (looking at you Saladino) that has zero future with the Brewers. Obviously did not get far in waiver priority since the worst team in the league picked him up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2019, 1:28 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
djoctagone said:

Ehh ... Stokes has some talent, and I guess is still young enough at 23 to put things together. But he isn't a good enough defender to regularly play CF, and he just doesn't have the offensive upside and profile to ever really be a regular in the corner OF. Hate to lose talented players, but that's part of the business.

Stokes won a Rawling Gold Glove Award as a Minor Leaguer in AA Last Year

https://www.milb.com/biloxi/news/troy-stokes-jr-awarded-rawlings-gold-glove/c-297386960

Last edited by A Swing and A Drive on September 03, 2019, 1:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2019, 1:42 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
djoctagone said:

Stokes won a Rawling Gold Glove Award as a Minor League in AA Last Year

https://www.milb.com/biloxi/news/troy-stokes-jr-awarded-rawlings-gold-glove/c-297386960

As a corner outfielder.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2019, 2:09 PM Post

Roster Guru
Outlander said:
Obviously did not get far in waiver priority since the worst team in the league picked him up.

all national league teams took a pass on stokes. a player placed on outright waivers is first offered to the waiving team's league--worst to first. detroit had first dibs after he cleared the national league.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply