LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Offline  Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Posted: September 04, 2019, 7:37 AM Post
One of my all time personal favorite Brewers.

And his legend is captured best over here: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6633

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Posted: September 04, 2019, 8:14 AM Post
Looks like he last played in the minors in 2013 for the Angels AAA team. I wonder why he waited until now to retire? Perhaps his player pension package is bigger if he waited until he was 40 (he turns 40 in December)?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Posted: September 04, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
Darn it, so you mean to say we could have signed him up until today?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 2:04 PM Post
Baldkin said:
One of my all time personal favorite Brewers.

And his legend is captured best over here: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6633

I have to laugh, I wrote that post, sure genius by accident!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 2:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
One of my all time favorite Brewers, even if his time as a "star" was relatively short. He was a highlight often, during the mid 2000's era, when we had some shaky but somewhat competitive teams of up and coming young players.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 2:31 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Darn it, so you mean to say we could have signed him up until today?

Couldn't be any worse than Arcia, amirite?

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 2:35 PM Post
Late April 2004

Hall hits a walkoff home run against Cincinnati. The next night, he wins an extra-innings game with a walkoff squeeze bunt.

It was then that I decided to get a pin-striped Hall jersey that I still wear to this day at many games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 2:40 PM Post
bensheeps said:
The next night, he wins an extra-innings game with a walkoff squeeze bunt.

This is the game the Brewers were losing 9-0 in the 4th.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 3:02 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
Looks like he last played in the minors in 2013 for the Angels AAA team. I wonder why he waited until now to retire? Perhaps his player pension package is bigger if he waited until he was 40 (he turns 40 in December)?

Since he has acquired zero MLB service time since 2012 it makes no difference at what age he "retires". This is just really weird that a player of his caliber gets a retirement ceremony 7 years since he last played. If this is a marketing ploy by the team, they could have picked a more well-known player. I highly doubt people were rushing to buy tickets to the game now that Bill Hall will be there. Heck, I bet half of the fans in the stadium have only been fans for a few years and will have no idea who he even is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 3:41 PM Post

GIF Master
Brewers signed him as a pitcher today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 5:00 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Patrick425 said:

Since he has acquired zero MLB service time since 2012 it makes no difference at what age he "retires". This is just really weird that a player of his caliber gets a retirement ceremony 7 years since he last played. If this is a marketing ploy by the team, they could have picked a more well-known player. I highly doubt people were rushing to buy tickets to the game now that Bill Hall will be there. Heck, I bet half of the fans in the stadium have only been fans for a few years and will have no idea who he even is.

Are you saying this because you have knowledge of how the MLB players pension works, or are you just making assumptions? My wife has the rare fortune of having a pension plan (defined benefit -entirely employer funded). She grandfathered into it before the company discontinued it for new employees. I know that for her plan if she quits at 62, but waits until 65 to start collecting, she gets more than if she collected right away at 62.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 6:11 PM Post
dlk9s said:
Brewers signed him as a pitcher today.

Bingo!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 6:54 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
Patrick425 said:

Are you saying this because you have knowledge of how the MLB players pension works, or are you just making assumptions? My wife has the rare fortune of having a pension plan (defined benefit -entirely employer funded). She grandfathered into it before the company discontinued it for new employees. I know that for her plan if she quits at 62, but waits until 65 to start collecting, she gets more than if she collected right away at 62.

Players do not start collecting their pension after they retire. He could not have officially retired at 32 and started collecting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 6:48 AM Post
Stick him in the lineup to face Quintana.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 7:53 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
I too am the proud owner of a Bill Hall pinstripe jersey. Along with Ben Sheets, one of my favorite players of this century. So glad we resigned him. I say we just add him to the 40 man for the rest of the year and see what he's got left. Put a pink bat in his hand and let the magic happen. No more ridiculous than the premise in Mr. 3000.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 8:05 AM Post
He's coming home.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 11:14 AM Post
Outlander said:
Players do not start collecting their pension after they retire. He could not have officially retired at 32 and started collecting.

When are they eligible to start collecting?

Edit: Never mind. Found this. Although it's from 2012. If it's still valid, looks like earliest day to start receiving pension benefits is 1st day of the month following 45th birthday.

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/bhb/eng/mlb-0f0-pension-print.pdf

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 6:37 PM Post
Patrick425 said:

No, it definitely doesn't matter if you're not on a 40 man roster.

I know it's a big difference in the NFL.

Regardless, very few people get pensions. You're Wife is extremely fortunate. It's down to like 5-6 pct of people in this country still earn pensions. Protected against bankruptcy, protected against lawsuit, they can't take it under any circumstance, correct? I mean...unless someone is embezzling from the company and steals the pension fund which has caused some enormous scandals.

Anyway...loved Bill Hall. 35 bombs as our SS....he always seemed like a good dude.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 6:46 PM Post
Do other teams do these types of things? Or is this just what a franchise like the Brewers do?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 6:49 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Do other teams do these types of things? Or is this just what a franchise like the Brewers do?

I get the Wall of Honor...but an official retirement thing? What on earth....? He didn’t even amass 10 WAR in his career and never had any type of award.

Yikes

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply