LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Offline  Re: Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Posted: September 05, 2019, 6:54 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:
Do other teams do these types of things? Or is this just what a franchise like the Brewers do?

I get the Wall of Honor...but an official retirement thing? What on earth....? He didn’t even amass 10 WAR in his career and never had any type of award.

Yikes

This franchise has a habit of celebrating mediocrity. I guess that's really all they have to celebrate but still.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Bill Hall (who apparently wasn't retired) retiring as a Brewer today, Sept 4th

Posted: September 05, 2019, 7:02 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:
Do other teams do these types of things? Or is this just what a franchise like the Brewers do?

I get the Wall of Honor...but an official retirement thing? What on earth....? He didn’t even amass 10 WAR in his career and never had any type of award.

Yikes

This franchise has a habit of celebrating mediocrity. I guess that's really all they have to celebrate but still.

I guess one should really blame Bill Hall for even approaching them with this idea. I mean come on. You weren’t even that good and you have been out of the league since 2012. Just go watch some HGTV or something.

Guessing the Brewers decided to just be nice and do it for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
I see no problem with it & surprised to see so many people negative over it. He was one of the first homegrown guys in that wave that changed this franchise. He played at All-Star level for few seasons. He was a better Perez who played everyday at usually a different position for awhile. I’m sure it was him who brought it up & I was surprised to see it when it popped up today but I loved Hall! He was a favorite of mine in high school. Good for him! He brought some really great moments during a time that Brewer baseball was beginning to become exciting again!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 7:05 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:

Yikes

Gosh darn celebrating mediocrity. Barely 20 WAR player retiring for a franchise he only played 7 years for.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/yank ... ork-yankee

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 7:25 AM Post
2-time all-star and a world series MVP.

If Bill Hall did that, I'd be all for it but he really just wasn't very good.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 11:09 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
Regardless, very few people get pensions. You're Wife is extremely fortunate. It's down to like 5-6 pct of people in this country still earn pensions. Protected against bankruptcy, protected against lawsuit, they can't take it under any circumstance, correct? I mean...unless someone is embezzling from the company and steals the pension fund which has caused some enormous scandals.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but you seem to have a beef with anyone that collects a pension. Yes, I'm completely aware of the rarity of pension plans (I work for a financial consulting firm and the majority of our clients are retirement plans, including a few pension plans - most of which are "winding down"). My wife has been with the company she currently works with for over 30 years. Like many companies, they discontinued the pension plan for new employees over 10 years ago, but existing employees (including my wife) were grandfathered in.

My post was in response to an assumption that it did not matter when a player retired in regards to their pension. That does appear to be correct, but based on the document I linked in post 17, it does matter when players start collecting. The earliest they can start collecting is 45 and the longer they wait, the larger the pension amount (similar to how wife's pension plan works).

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the topic with boring pension plan talk. Was just curious, like others, why Bill Hall waited so long to "officially" retire and was wondering if it had something to do with his pension. That does not appear to be the case.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2019, 6:13 AM Post
A guy who might not have played a lot of seasons with the Crew wanted to retire as a Brewer and is now an analyst on the team's television network. If this is how he feels we should welcome him with open arms.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2019, 6:17 AM Post
Love Bill Hall and was glad this happened. It’s a cool little thing to do, why not?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2019, 7:55 PM Post
Got a chance to get my jersey signed after the game today.

Asked Billy "What's next? Any chance of this becoming a longer gig?" He said, "We are in talks."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
I see no problem with it & surprised to see so many people negative over it. He was one of the first homegrown guys in that wave that changed this franchise. He played at All-Star level for few seasons. He was a better Perez who played everyday at usually a different position for awhile. I’m sure it was him who brought it up & I was surprised to see it when it popped up today but I loved Hall! He was a favorite of mine in high school. Good for him! He brought some really great moments during a time that Brewer baseball was beginning to become exciting again!

Agreed.

Did it cost the Brewers anything to do this? No.

Does it look good to fans? Yeah.

Could it build good will with players to see this sort of thing? Possibly?

Could that good will make the difference in, say, signing Hiura to an extension? Maybe.

And for those last two answers, doing this thing that pretty much cost the Brewers nothing is a good move.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2019, 9:03 PM Post
Keston Hiura couldn’t give two rips about Bill Hall or him getting a retirement day. We are really stretching it at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2019, 9:37 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
HiAndTight said:
Regardless, very few people get pensions. You're Wife is extremely fortunate. It's down to like 5-6 pct of people in this country still earn pensions. Protected against bankruptcy, protected against lawsuit, they can't take it under any circumstance, correct? I mean...unless someone is embezzling from the company and steals the pension fund which has caused some enormous scandals.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but you seem to have a beef with anyone that collects a pension. Yes, I'm completely aware of the rarity of pension plans (I work for a financial consulting firm and the majority of our clients are retirement plans, including a few pension plans - most of which are "winding down"). My wife has been with the company she currently works with for over 30 years. Like many companies, they discontinued the pension plan for new employees over 10 years ago, but existing employees (including my wife) were grandfathered in.

My post was in response to an assumption that it did not matter when a player retired in regards to their pension. That does appear to be correct, but based on the document I linked in post 17, it does matter when players start collecting. The earliest they can start collecting is 45 and the longer they wait, the larger the pension amount (similar to how wife's pension plan works).

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the topic with boring pension plan talk. Was just curious, like others, why Bill Hall waited so long to "officially" retire and was wondering if it had something to do with his pension. That does not appear to be the case.

Patrick425 - I think you are reading HighAndTight's post incorrectly. He was just saying how difficult it is to get an iron-clad pension nowadays, because business and corporations have used every possible legal maneuver to get out from under having to pay promised pensions. His happiness for you and your Wife was legitimate.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2019, 9:37 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
HiAndTight said:

Patrick425 - I think you are reading HighAndTight's post incorrectly. He was just saying how difficult it is to get an iron-clad pension nowadays, because business and corporations have used every possible legal maneuver to get out from under having to pay promised pensions. His happiness for you and your Wife was legitimate.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 1:31 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Keston Hiura couldn’t give two rips about Bill Hall or him getting a retirement day. We are really stretching it at this point.

I think the Brewers need to build up good will with players - that sort of thing matters to an extent. Why did Moose come back for a bargain deal this past spring? Why did Gio decide to come back after the Yankees let him go? Remember Wade Wiley sticking up for Stearns recently?

Sometimes it's those little things.

It takes two to agree to a contract to bring a free agent to Milwaukee OR to agree on a contract extension.

This day for Hall cost the Crew very little, but there is a chance that it will secure gains down the road.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 3:52 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

Players goes where the money is. Every now and then a guy like Jared Weaver takes a little to stay with a team and sometimes a veteran takes less from a winning team to get a title but 99% of players are going with whoever offers the most money. At no point in his life, even now probably, has Manny Machado felt a desire to play for the Padres but they offered him the most money so that's where he is.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply