LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 109 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Has anyone lost confidence in Stearns

Offline  Re: Has anyone lost confidence in Stearns

Posted: September 07, 2019, 11:13 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Domingo Santana

Right. That name stopped coming up after his second half collapse.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Posted: September 07, 2019, 11:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
I still have confidence in him. He's smart enough, and I think flexible enough to see what works and what doesn't, and to act accordingly.

It's a shame that Yelich's historic season was wasted by being surrounded by so many under achievers, but they're not tied to any regrettable long term contracts, so he can rebuild or retool with freedom.

Unfortunately, his farm system is very unproductive, and there doesn't appear to be any impactful players ready to arrive soon, so there might be some lean years ahead. The Brewers have a lot of 30+ year olds while the rest of baseball is getting younger.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 11:18 AM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
Name the GM in the history of the game that has had every single move they make turn out in their favor..........I'll wait..........

Holding up the Dubon trade (as one that MAY not work out) is the epitome of the example that proves the point. This board is really bad at taking small sample sizes and trying to make a point. Of all the players that Stearns has traded away or let walk, who exactly are we missing? Miley, Dubon? Stearns is fine.

Khris Davis and Scooter Gennett were certainly missed at one time. They obviously aren't anymore.

I never said Stearns isn't fine. I like Stearns, a lot. Just because I didn't individuality like the Dubon deal doesn't mean I want Stearns gone.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 11:24 AM Post
sveumrules said:
adambr2 said:
Speaking of killing it, Dubon is killing it for the Giants. Homered twice already, off Kershaw last night. OPSing .960 and starting at both middle infield spots.

Dubon has started 7 games for SF so far.

His first three he hit 200/200/400.

His last four he hit 462/462/1077.

Mauricio has been killing it for four whole games.

He also has yet to walk in 25 MLB PAs.

Dubon might never walk a lot. I don't really know. Or he might develop a better eye at the plate like he's developed more power this year. Keston Hiura hardly walked when he came up, too.

It's obviously super early to see what Dubon will be, but I think it's a good sign for him that he isn't being overmatched by MLB pitching - heck, he went 3 for 4 with Clayton Kershaw on the mound last night. He also would have filled a need here both as a righty and SS.

One thing I'd like to point out about Dubon and what he projects to be is that he has strongly exceeded projections at every single level since he was drafted. He was never even supposed to be here.

Online  Re: Has anyone lost confidence in Stearns

Posted: September 07, 2019, 11:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would say that the absence of Khris Davis created a void that was filled by Christian Yelich. I would say 99 out of 100 people would prefer Yelich over Davis. Not saying this to be snarky, as everyone knows it, but moves don't exist in a vacuum. (Vaccum? SP [smile]

Posted: September 07, 2019, 1:34 PM Post
adambr2 said:
82brewcrew82 said:
Name the GM in the history of the game that has had every single move they make turn out in their favor..........I'll wait..........

Holding up the Dubon trade (as one that MAY not work out) is the epitome of the example that proves the point. This board is really bad at taking small sample sizes and trying to make a point. Of all the players that Stearns has traded away or let walk, who exactly are we missing? Miley, Dubon? Stearns is fine.

Khris Davis and Scooter Gennett were certainly missed at one time. They obviously aren't anymore.

I never said Stearns isn't fine. I like Stearns, a lot. Just because I didn't individuality like the Dubon deal doesn't mean I want Stearns gone.

Nobody wanted Gennett at the time he was released. There was a lot of hindsight once he blew up in Cincinatti but he's a turned back into a pumpkin and I don't recall anyone predicting his offensive out break. Davis was traded because he's a DH. We don't play with a DH. In either case, given how things worked out, I'm not trading Yelich and Hiura for Davis and Gennett.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 1:54 PM Post
Suggesting that we wouldn't have traded for Yelich if we hadn't traded Davis is already quite a reach. Suggesting we wouldn't have drafted Hiura if we had kept Gennett is really over the top.

We can't assume certain hypothetical outcomes based on things that didn't happen. Maybe we would have traded Braun to the Dodgers in 2016 if we hadn't traded Davis and maybe that package would have been a big win for us. Maybe we would have traded Villar at his peak pre-2017 if we had kept Gennett. We just don't know.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 1:56 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Suggesting that we wouldn't have traded for Yelich if we hadn't traded Davis is already quite a reach. Suggesting we wouldn't have drafted Hiura if we had kept Gennett is really over the top.

We can't assume certain hypothetical outcomes based on things that didn't happen. Maybe we would have traded Braun to the Dodgers in 2016 if we hadn't traded Davis and maybe that package would have been a big win for us. Maybe we would have traded Villar at his peak pre-2017 if we had kept Gennett. We just don't know.

So is suggesting that Miley would have made a HUGE difference.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 1:59 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
adambr2 said:

Yep, that's fair too. Miley doesn't upset me that much. I never would have imagined that Burnes and Peralta would flop so bad as starters.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
adambr2 said:
82brewcrew82 said:
adambr2 said:

Yep, that's fair too. Miley doesn't upset me that much. I never would have imagined that Burnes and Peralta would flop so bad as starters.

Agreed which leads to my biggest issue with Stearns which is the lack of high end pitching acquisitions. I have a bigger problem with moves not made than I do with moves made.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 2:55 PM Post
I would guess at least 25 MLB teams would trade the Brewers their GM straight up. No GM is perfect because they are human and so are the players they trade for or draft. Stearns and Counsell have made this team relevant.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 3:48 PM Post
Everyone assumes that if a guy is offered a contract they will just come here. It takes 2 to tango. We'll never know a lot of the guys that Sterns offers contracts to and what those offers are for and if a guy just wasn't interested in coming here or not. And Sterns can't necessarily get in a bidding war with a lot of teams, they don't have the payroll resources.

In addition, I think with the way the Brewers run their pitching staff, you don't need absolute studs as starters. Would it be nice? Heck yeah it would. But those guys cost money-lots n' lots of money. If the Brewers can get 3-4 guys that are reliable for 5-6 innings and then spend money on good, quality bullpen arms-which are vastly more inexpensive-I'm fine with that. Put the money in the offense with that model.

With Woody, Burnes, and Peralta, all you needed was 1 guy to be good and the others to be average and this team is winning the division right now. Woody is good. Unfortunately, Burnes and Peralta weren't even average, they weren't even awful-they were god awful.

Jeffress, Burnes, Peralta, not doing well this year hurt. But as many would probably agree, the injury to Knebel crushed that bullpen. You can't blame Sterns for that. "He should have had more depth." There are few bullpen arms out there like Knebel when he's going good.

Posted: September 07, 2019, 4:41 PM Post
crossface21 said:
Everyone assumes that if a guy is offered a contract they will just come here. It takes 2 to tango. We'll never know a lot of the guys that Sterns offers contracts to and what those offers are for and if a guy just wasn't interested in coming here or not. And Sterns can't necessarily get in a bidding war with a lot of teams, they don't have the payroll resources.

Agreed. We do this a lot. We see a guy sign somewhere for X amount of dollars and assume he would have also signed here for X amount of dollars. Doesn't always work like that, even if the guy is interested in coming here. There are a lot of factors for a free agent - money, years, taxes, location, coaching staff, winning, starting opportunities, and how well the team has developed players at that position. Typically money is near the top of the list but it's not always the only factor.

Just because someone signs somewhere for 5M does not always mean we could have had him for the same 5M or even at all.

Posted: September 08, 2019, 8:03 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Domingo Santana

Gamel is a HUGE upgrade over Santana and it isn't even funny.

Posted: September 08, 2019, 8:25 AM Post
Yes. The state of the system overall and the lack of depth throughout is a red flag. The Yelich deal buys him time as it is the best trade in franchise history. That being said he hasn't done a ton right since.

Posted: September 08, 2019, 9:20 AM Post
I like Stearns overall.

I think he mismanaged the pitching staff this year because apparently he over estimated some of our young pitchers and relied on veterans to over achieve again.

Our MiLB depth is awful, but I don't really blame him for it. It's a necessary evil to make moves like the Yelich trade, and he's only been here 3 (?) years which I would argue is not enough time. If we drafted 18 year olds his first year they would be only 20-21 years now. We haven't had enough time to go through several rounds of young player acquisitions and grade them effectively.

Online  Re: Has anyone lost confidence in Stearns

Posted: September 08, 2019, 12:08 PM Post
So he doesn’t make the Yelich trade... is our system in better shape? Those guys we traded haven’t exactly done much and the prize of the trade (Brinson) is horrible.

And hasn’t done a ton since the Yelich trade? People can’t really believe that can they?

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: September 08, 2019, 7:33 PM Post
Brew4U said:
So he doesn’t make the Yelich trade... is our system in better shape? Those guys we traded haven’t exactly done much and the prize of the trade (Brinson) is horrible.

And hasn’t done a ton since the Yelich trade? People can’t really believe that can they?

Who is his best acquisition since Yelich?? Grandal on a 1 year deal ok. What else?

Posted: September 08, 2019, 7:50 PM Post
Since Yelich trade

Traded for Moose.....trading for him and then getting him back for another year. If he wasnt on our team last season then we likely don't get him on the cheap this year when the market drops out from under him.

Signed Miley when almost everyone on Brewer fan thought he would suck.

Signed Grandal

Picked up key bullpen piece in Soria

Traded for Lyles which has helped keep us in it this season when injuries and underperformance hit our rotation

Traded for Gio.......then resigned him this year when we needed a competent starter

Picked up Kratz

Again not all tbese are block busters but they all helped us win the division last season or gave yes a chance this season.......and in some cases both.

If anyone expects blockbuster trades every off season I don't know what to tell you.......other then it ain't happening.

Posted: September 08, 2019, 8:24 PM Post
Signing Thames - A brilliant move - and hopefully a sign of things to come. The Brewers should look at KBO more for nuggets.

Thornburg for Shaw/Wilkerson - Worked out well in 2017 and 2018 for the Crew.

Signing Chacin - Worked in 2018, but 2019 was a hot mess.

Signing Miley - If Stearns had the chance to do it all over again, I think he would give Miley the two-year deal and Chacin the one-year deal.

Yelich trade and Cain signing - At the time, I questioned doing both, but it seemed to work out.

Deal for Moose - Overall, it's worked out well. Getting the extra year, plus last year's run, made the price of Maverick Phillips and Lopez worthwhile. With his hand/wrist issue late in the year... maybe he comes back on the mutual option.

Deal for Gio - Very good. Almost a mess when he went to the Yankees, but his return was good news for the Crew.

Santana for Gamel/Zavalos - At the time was skeptical about the return. The way Zavalos pitched this year, though, I think will make this a long-term win for the Crew.

Signing Grandal - Probably one move that really kept the team afloat after Shaw and Aguilar had the bottom drop out from under them. Now, signing him to an extension will probably be the hard part, but should happen.

Aguilar for Faria - It was good since the Crew got a potentially serviceable bullpen arm for 2020, much more than one would expect after Aguilar's struggles.

Dubon for Pomeranz/Black - This one will hurt for a bit. Dubon will be valuable depth as a contact-hitter/speed guy in the middle infield, and I think his offensive potential was underrated. If Pomeranz and Black become key parts of the 2020 bullpen, and take the Crew to the playoffs that year (and this year), then it's worth losing Dubon.

DFAing Wilkerson and Stokes - Wilkerson is one of those who probably could have been a throw-in a while back, maybe for a lottery ticket. Stokes - well, everyone knows I was pretty high on him. The former is not a big deal. Stokes very well could be a big "what if" for Brewers fans. Would have been better to DFA Saladino.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 109 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply