LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next  [ 184 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Offline  Re: Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:35 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
We really should be glad this happened in September where 99% of his recovery will be in the winter and not in May/June/July where he still would have been out for months and likely would have come back to be rusty for any part of the later year he might have played in.

Maybe I’d think otherwise if this team was a dominate force, but since they need some historical miracle to make the postseason let alone win it all...this is likely harmless in the bigger picture of winning a WS etc. this could be way worse.

Bingo - sucks for yelich, this team, and us as fans for the rest of 2019, but if we are all honest there was a snowball's chance in hades this roster would make significant noise in the postseason even with a healthy mvp right fielder anchoring the lineup. Basically 6.5 months from opening day 2020, odds are that yelich will have plenty of time to heal and rehab and not miss much of any regular season games due to this injury next year - and if he does need extra time the brewers do have capable options of holding down the fort.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:36 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
since they need some historical miracle to make the postseason

Do you not consider the Wild Card the postseason? Because if the scores hold up tonight, they are 1 game out of that. Hardly a miracle with 19 to play.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:39 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MrTPlush said:

Do you not consider the Wild Card the postseason? Because if the scores hold up tonight, they are 1 game out of that. Hardly a miracle with 19 to play.

I took it as it would be a miracle for this team to go on a run and actually win a world series - there's always a chance, but realistically I don't think any of us view the brewers as a dangerous postseason opponent even with yelich considering the pitching staff, particularly when they would have to go back to a 25 man postseason roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
Tough to swallow, but this is a reality for every team. Injuries happen, and while you can't replace a good player (much less an MVP player), you just have to give it the best try.

It seems that injuries have been tough on this year's club. More so than normal.

Again, just tough - especially considering the team has been playing well. We'll need some guys to step up if we are to stay in the playoff picture.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:41 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MrTPlush said:

I took it as it would be a miracle for this team to go on a run and actually win a world series - there's always a chance, but realistically I don't think any of us view the brewers as a dangerous postseason opponent even with yelich considering the pitching staff, particularly when they would have to go back to a 25 man postseason roster.

Remember this is baseball

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:42 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MrTPlush said:

I'm guessing miracle more from the injury overcoming standpoint rather than the standings. I mean if you're the Cubs you've definitely got to think this is huge for them.

Maybe it will help us play looser? I don't know, I'm kind of reaching, but at this point I don't think the expectations are really there from most. Just go out and do what you can for 19 games and see what happens.

But yeah the small remaining sample size makes it possible to be overcome, we didn't lose Yelich for an entire season. It's a streaky game and maybe Grisham OPSes 1.000 over the next 2 weeks. Who knows. But yeah it's not like the Packera losing Rodgers on opening night for 16 games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:43 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MrTPlush said:

That's a whole different deal. But he said make the postseason. Which this team surprisingly stands a halfway decent shot of doing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:47 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MrTPlush said:

Remember this is baseball

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:50 PM Post
TigerUppercut said:
Anybody worried about whether or not we've seen the best of Yelich? I feel like these are the type of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL.

Seriously?

This is the kind of irresponsible rhetoric that I hate about the internet. Throwing out an opinion with absolutely zero basis in fact. What you're "feeling" is completely ridiculous.

It's a broken knee cap, not a soft tissue tear. I've had one. Two years ago, I fell and split my left patella into two pieces. I was on bed rest for two months, as there was one little part of the bone that was still connected, and doing so, my orthopedic surgeon hoped to avoid surgery. Doctor put a soft cast on it. Outside of getting up to use the restroom, or taking a bath, I was stuck in bed for the whole time, 24/7, because my bones are naturally weaker. The knee healed fine, and you'd never know it was injured.

Regardless of the kind of fracture, be it a hairline break, or something more substantial, the likelihood of there being any kind of complications from this going forward are slim. If it's a serious fracture, they'll out some hardware in place, and the bone will heal. Have you seen the kind of shape this guy is in? His body physiology is off the charts. He'll heal fine, and I expect we'll see Yelich back at 100% for the start of spring training.

It sucks he got hurt. I feel for him. And, it probably costs him a second straight MVP. He was leading the award index coming into the day. But let's not start in with the, "he might never be the same again" stuff. Especially with today's medical technology.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:52 PM Post
If this team does manage to go on a run now ... it has gone from a good story to Hollywood-type stuff. Just the fact that they have managed to overcome all the crap that has happened so far and still have themselves in solid contention for a playoff spot says a lot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:55 PM Post
I've heard of the Madden Curse and Sports Illustrated Curse, but I didn't know there was an ESPN the Magazine Body Issue curse.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:56 PM Post
Yeah in my opinion the speculation that Yelich will never be the same again is pretty irresponsible. Please don't be swayed by what happened with Jimmy Nelson. It's not the same at all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 9:56 PM Post
The 'stache said:
TigerUppercut said:
Anybody worried about whether or not we've seen the best of Yelich? I feel like these are the type of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL.

Seriously?

This is the kind of irresponsible rhetoric that I hate about the internet. Throwing out an opinion with absolutely zero basis in fact. What you're "feeling" is completely ridiculous.

It's a broken knee cap, not a soft tissue tear. I've had one. Two years ago, I fell and split my left patella into two pieces. I was on bed rest for two months, as there was one little part of the bone that was still connected, and doing so, my orthopedic surgeon hoped to avoid surgery. Doctor put a soft cast on it. Outside of getting up to use the restroom, or taking a bath, I was stuck in bed for the whole time, 24/7, because my bones are naturally weaker. The knee healed fine, and you'd never know it was injured.

Regardless of the kind of fracture, be it a hairline break, or something more substantial, the likelihood of there being any kind of complications from this going forward are slim. If it's a serious fracture, they'll out some hardware in place, and the bone will heal. Have you seen the kind of shape this guy is in? His body physiology is off the charts. He'll heal fine, and I expect we'll see Yelich back at 100% for the start of spring training.

It sucks he got hurt. I feel for him. And, it probably costs him a second straight MVP. He was leading the award index coming into the day. But let's not start in with the, "he might never be the same again" stuff. Especially with today's medical technology.

+1 million

I know this is the age of social media and "shoot from the hip" hot takes, but it is still possible to go over the top.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:01 PM Post
He's just wondering aloud, not predicting. Nothing wrong with that. Saying it will take historical miracle to make the playoffs is just as outlandish.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:08 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
He's just wondering aloud, not predicting. Nothing wrong with that. Saying it will take historical miracle to make the playoffs is just as outlandish.

I think it's just frustration. Most fans are already bummed enough tonight without the immediate worst case scenario unfounded speculation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:10 PM Post
It's a shame, not only for Yelich and the Brewers but for baseball. The NL MVP race was tight with around 4 guys being potential winners. It sucks the field is whittled down due to a fluky (for baseball) injury. And Yelich had a chance at a 50/30 or possibly even a 50/40 season. History lost tonight.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:18 PM Post
This is decidedly uncool.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:30 PM Post
What a disheartening injury.

That said, i couldn't disagree more with those concerned this will impact him long term. This is actually probably one of the least likely significant injuries to result in long term issues. I would be far and away more concerned about a wrist, shoulder, elbow, or ankle in that order. Heck a severe oblique injury might concern me more. Simple fractures also generally heal fine, it's the ligament and rotator cuff type injuries that are concerning. If he's for sure done for the season including playoffs, i would be surprised if he wasn't 100% by sometime in January

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:31 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:

He's not predicting?

TigerUppercut said:
I feel like these are the type of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL.

Sounds like a kind of prediction to me. If it's not a prediction-if it wasn't even remotely likely with Yelich, then why say it at all?

Being upset the guy is injured is fine. We all are. But making a quantum leap into, "we may have seen the best of Yelich" is absurd hyperbole. Further opining about how "these are the types of injuries that lead to other injuries and consistent stints on the DL" is pure fiction.

That is a patently false statement. It is conjecture, and poor conjecture, at that.

First of all, we don't know to what extent the thing is broken. It could be a simple hairline fracture. It may well be that, had it happened much earlier in the season, he could have healed, and returned in the regular season. There are some twenty games left, approximately. We're almost done with this thing. I'm assuming the Brewers medical staff are much like the Packers medical staff, taking the conservative approach to allow their athletes all the time needed to fully heal properly. It probably doesn't make sense to try to rush him back, so shutting him down, allowing him to heal properly, and start getting ready for next season is the logical, and prudent thing to do.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 10:36 PM Post
The crappier our roster- the more We seem to win. I wish after this we’d try to protect our first round pick and lose a bunch, but naturally that won’t happen. I don’t care about making the postseason without a decent roster

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next  [ 184 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply