LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next  [ 184 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Offline  Re: Yelich Out for the Season with Fractured Knee Cap

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:32 AM Post
Too many crazy things can happen in 19 games. Brewers can overcome this injury

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:35 AM Post
Glass half full appoach

Moose/Hiura/Grisham > Yelich/Spangenburg/Shaw

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:37 AM Post
mlloyd10 said:
Glass half full appoach

Moose/Hiura/Grisham > Yelich/Spangenburg/Shaw

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:39 AM Post
3 games left against the Cardinals, the rest of the season is against teams that any above average team should be able to roll through. Now, we know what happened last time the Brewers had stretch of games against teams like that but the pitching has looked a lot better and this offense is still so bad that I don't think losing Yelich can really make it that much worse.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:46 AM Post
Time for Braun to gummy up and Cain to hit the fountain of youth. Those two need to get going and Grisham needs to hold his own. Sprinkle in Gamel with some clutchness and we are playoff bound. It will really help to get Moose back. I don't know if Hiura will make it back very quickly as hammies are always a tough one. Either way, like others have mentioned, this team needs to rally around this and take care of business against lesser teams.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:48 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
3 games left against the Cardinals, the rest of the season is against teams that any above average team should be able to roll through. Now, we know what happened last time the Brewers had stretch of games against teams like that but the pitching has looked a lot better and this offense is still so bad that I don't think losing Yelich can really make it that much worse.

The offense hasn't been bad so much as its's been inconsistent. And I agree that losing Yelich likely isn't going to make it more inconsistent. I'm hoping that it has the opposite effect, that maybe a few of these guys step up their game knowing that the Yelich crutch is no longer available. Looking directly at Cain and Braun here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:49 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

Yeah I think this is where I am at. Sure they will look short-handed against a roster like the Cards but against the Pirates, Padres, Marlins, Rockies and Reds they wont. Maybe the Reds but they are scuffling. Winning a solid majority of those games is definitely possible

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:50 AM Post
Only the crappy schedule can save them now. Not buying for one millisecond that the Brewers can be just as good without Yelich. He is just way too good of a player.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 7:56 AM Post
JosephC said:
Only the crappy schedule can save them now. Not buying for one millisecond that the Brewers can be just as good without Yelich. He is just way too good of a player.

I don't think anyone was trying to sell that they would. Even the most optimistic of fans realizes that this is a blow.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:10 AM Post
JosephC said:

I don't think anyone with a "right mind" is going to argue that this lineup is better without Yelich in it. But, the schedule just might be bad enough that this team still pulls off the miracle and sneaks their way into that final WC spot? Let's not overlook the fact either that the Nats still have to play 2 @Min, 3 vs ATL, 3 vs STL, 5 vs PHI and 3 vs CLE (with three sprinkled in against MIA). Man, that's a brutal stretch to end the season. So, it's possible too that both WC spots come into play before this thing is all said and done.

It's absolutely gut wrenching to lose Yelich, but hopefully this team will really rally around this now and guys will step up in his absence. Getting Moose back (hopefully starting tonight) and Keston back maybe in the next week would be huge. And, let's hope we can start to sprinkle Woody back into some pitching some important innings down the stretch run as well.

It feels a bit bleak right now, but we're still right in this thing. Will this team go far in the playoffs if they do make it? Probably not, but it would still be a heck of an accomplishment to get one of those WC spots with all of the obstacles that they would have had to overcome.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:10 AM Post
On a morning after this crappy news, I'm taking whatever optimism I can get from the fact that whenever this team gets ripped in an IGT for its "Sunday Lineups" or "AAAA, at best starting 9", they more often (to my eye) seem to win. We're one back of the 2nd WC, and 5 back of the Cards, who we play 3 against this weekend.

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, and, until we are mathematically eliminated, we still have a slugger's chance. The Royals won it all without superstars - hell, we have some of those non-superstars now! In a 5 or 7 game series with off days, I can see a scenario where some combo of Hader, Black, Pomeranz, Suter and Claudio gets it done, like KC did.

We were never, according to some after spring training, gonna compete this year. The fact that with 18 or so to go all options are available is pretty satisfying, to me. An injury like this can galvanize or demoralize. The fact the team knew about Yelich from the 4th inning last night and still won, gives me hope.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies..." Andy Dufresne!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:

I think they can be just as good over a short period of time. Over the course of half a season? No way. But over a few weeks? Sure.

In fact, they are 10 - 7 without him in the lineup this year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:15 AM Post
JosephC said:

They can be, record wise. On paper it is a big blow, but in reality the impact is impossible to know. We don't know how well he would have hit to end the season or how meaningful his production would have even been. Him hitting 3 homers when we lose 15-5 means nothing. It also means nothing if the same situation happened in a game where we win 15-1. We also don't know how well his replacement will or won't hit...they could put up MVP numbers over a few weeks.

This isn't football, he isn't a QB. Him playing good doesn't equal wins every time. They are nearly a .500 team when he starts and a near 100 win team when he doesn't. Baseball is a team sport the actual impact of an MVP player can be real fickle.

So yeah, they can be just as good...heck they could end up better for all we know. It is such a small sample of games.

Last edited by MrTPlush on September 11, 2019, 8:17 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:16 AM Post
homer said:
JosephC said:

I think they can be just as good over a short period of time. Over the course of half a season? No way. But over a few weeks? Sure.

Right, it can happen. Just think when Yeli was out recently with the back issue and they won like 8/10 or whatever it was. No one with a right mind would say the team is better without him, it's just pointing out baseball is flukiest of all sports and one individual player has least effect on it than in any other team sport. Combine that with sometimes how something like this can motivate and unite a team and hey they're not dead and it could still happen. Especially since they're now only 1 out as opposed to like 4.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:29 AM Post
I am so bummed for Yelich and hope he's back in time for the early part of next season.

The math, though, seems to suggest that this isn't going to make that much of a difference. Accumulating 2 WAR in 18 games would be insane. Even getting 1 is MVP-level. Assuming Grisham gets most of Yeli's ABs, you're looking at 1 fewer win at most. Maybe that takes the team from 12-6 to 11-7 or from 10-8 to 9-9 or what have you, and, of course, that might be enough to eliminate them this year, and it's totally dependent on a bunch of other guys and how they perform, and it absolutely matters for any potential playoff run.

But, it's baseball. And every season is sacred. And I've been cool on our chances for a while given the roster even with Yelich, but hell, let's at least try to have fun in the IGT and watching the games because this team has a real shot at two straight years of playoff baseball, and that's amazing, given I started following them in like 1997.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:32 AM Post
The Cardinals play the Cubs and Nats 10 times to end the season. Go Cards...'scuse me, I threw up a little there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 8:36 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
The Cardinals play the Cubs and Nats 10 times to end the season. Go Cards...'scuse me, I threw up a little there.

Hope the Cards either go 0-10 or 10-0 (I would take 2-8 or 8-2 too!). I think we should be rooting for sweeps in those series either way at this point, though that might change by the time we get to Cubs/Cards.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 9:04 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
POST DELETED FOR VIOLATING BOARD RULES REGARDING CURSING

[laughing] [sad]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 9:54 AM Post
Even if the Brewers somehow sneak into the 2nd Wild Card spot, without Yelich this team isn't going far.

With that said, can't we still have a little fun and at least ruin the Cubs season once again!?????

Go Brewers

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 11, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
Even if the Brewers somehow sneak into the 2nd Wild Card spot, without Yelich this team isn't going far.

With that said, can't we still have a little fun and at least ruin the Cubs season once again!?????

Go Brewers

Can you imagine the pain and misery Cubs fans will have if we somehow sneak in and take their WC spot WITHOUT Yelich in the lineup these final three weeks! Let's rally the troops boys and make that happen.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next  [ 184 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply