LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 91 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Questions for 2020

Offline  Re: Questions for 2020

Posted: October 02, 2019, 8:22 PM Post
Cain has already aged enough where people should really see that signing a 30+ year old catcher for the next 3-years is a bad idea.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2019, 8:35 PM Post
I don't see a lot of ways to improve by addition without Moose/Grandal.

I think the FO has a lot of faith in Cain, and I'm with them. Offensively, this year feels aberrational. He looked like he was pressing, swinging at low pitches he took in 2018.

Does the FO have the same faith in Shaw? Honestly, the best bet for another playoff run is him being a good hitter again. If Moose gets re-signed, I doubt Shaw sticks around.

This could be a weird offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if it contained a lot of transactions, with none of them being flashy. We are going to see a lot of Spangenberg type moves IMO. I think the FO loves its pitchers. Maybe someone at the margins gets dealt, but Nelson, Burnes, Woody, Freddy, Hauser, and the other usual suspects will get lots of chances. Knebel coming back to form would be just massive from a run-prevention standpoint. He makes Hader more valuable by a good bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 02, 2019, 8:48 PM Post
madtownhawk said:
So, can someone with more knowledge on returning contracts, tell me where our total payroll would be if we did the following this offseason:

Sign Yaz for a 3 year, 54M deal (18M per)
Sign Moose for a 3 year, 33M deal (11M per)
Sign Lyles for a 2 year, 8M deal (4M per)
Sign Pomeranz for a 2 year 6M deal (3M per)
Decline Chase Anderson's option
Pick up Eric Thames option
Trade Travis Shaw for a lower level prospect or two

I know other deals would probably happen along the way, but I'm just curious where our payroll would fall compared to this past season - if we made the moves mentioned above?

I’d guess the Yaz number is right.
Moose is too low for an average, I’d say 3 yrs $39million minimum
Lyles will get $6-8m per year based on first 6 weeks and last 9 weeks.
Pomeranz will follow the trend for relievers and will get 3 years $18 million

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 5:02 AM Post
In my mind Arcia’s future hinges on C and/or 3b. If we sign Grandal and Moose, Arcia may be back. If we sign one of the two it gets foggy. If we sign neither, we have to upgrade SS offensively since we will likely be taking major steps back in those two spots offensively. C for sure anyway.

Last edited by PlayerHader on October 03, 2019, 6:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 5:35 AM Post
I think Braun has to prepare again to play first base so he can serve as a backup and platoon option for Thames.

I wonder if there will be room on the roster for both Gamel and Grisham, who are about as similar as they can be. It’s nice having two guys who can fill in at any of the three outfield positions, but it’s too bad they are both left handed. With their various ailments, Braun, Cain, and Yelich all need occasional time off so the Brewers need flexible backups, and can’t afford one dimensional players like Aguilar and Santana.

My guess is that Moustakas will be back and Shaw will be the subject of a change in scenery trade. I feel bad about that because I like Shaw, but I’m afraid he may turn out to be the second coming of Chris Davis. He might have a better chance of bouncing back somewhere else.

As much as I’d like to see him in the lineup again I don’t see Grandal coming back. I think there will be an active market for one of the best hitting catchers in MLB who I don’t think was anywhere near as bad defensively as he looked in last year’s playoffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 8:34 AM Post
With Shaw can they DFA him and outright to the minors? Usually with arbitration eligible players you tender or non them a contract but if they were able to DFA him who would claim him and be willing to pay him 5-6 million a year in arbitration.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 8:54 AM Post
I may be in the minority here but if Thames has any trade value I think we should get something for him. He was a nice surprise this season but there will be platoon-able options on the FA market that will cost the same or less and if Cain stays Braun will be getting a lot of reps at first. 1.6 WAR was great from what turned out to be an almost full time first baseman, but maybe save a bit of money and get a prospect or 5th starter type for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 9:12 AM Post
-Would love to have Grandal and Pomeranz back, but I think each ultimately gets priced out of Stearn's comfort level.
-Moose is more signable and gets a 3 year deal.
-With Moose back, Shaw is non tendered.
-Lyles resigned to a 2 year deal, and Anderson let go. Bring back Nelson to see what another year of recovery does.
-Option for Thames picked up.
-Sign one of Odorizzi or Zack Wheeler.
-Sign Joes Iglesias to 1 or 2 year deal to play SS.
-Find a decent LH hitting catcher to platoon with Manny.
-Sign a couple other cheap SP/RP arms for possible "bouncebacks" and see if something sticks.
-Give Braun alot of reps at 1B.

SP options to start the season include: Woodruff, Odorizzi/Wheeler, Davies, Lyles, Houser, Nelson, Burnes
Bullpen options: Suter, Hader, Wahl, Knebel, Black, Claudio, Peralta, Guerra, etc.

There is an obvious 3 year window to really go for it, so I hope MA is willing to stretch the payroll and let Stearns do his thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 10:06 AM Post
Not sure why people are hot to give Moose a 3 year deal. It always depends on the number, but he seems like a prime candidate to break down. This year was the outlier of the past 3 offensively.

If his SLG ends up being a one year surge, his .310 career (.329 in this BIG past year) isn't very appetizing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
You know how many players are having a 2019 outlier year? Juiced ball has been nuts for some. Eric Sogard had 13 homers this year despite having no more than 3 in a season before.

I am also really confused on how you are calling it a surge when his 2017 SLG was higher.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 10:35 AM Post
PlayerHader said:
Not sure why people are hot to give Moose a 3 year deal. It always depends on the number, but he seems like a prime candidate to break down. This year was the outlier of the past 3 offensively.

If his SLG ends up being a one year surge, his .310 career (.329 in this BIG past year) isn't very appetizing.

Might have something to do with how horrible Shaw was this year.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 10:53 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Cain has already aged enough where people should really see that signing a 30+ year old catcher for the next 3-years is a bad idea.

Looking at some catchers that saw a notable decline at 30/31 age area that were bigtime bats:

Lucroy - Complete collapse after age 30 season
Molina - Never hit over an .800 OPS after his age 30 season
McCann - Has held it together for the most part, hasn't been much of a serious offensive threat after his age 29 season
Posey - Collapsed after his age 30 season
Pudge - Big collapse after his age 32 season
Miguel Montero - Toast at 30 offensively

Pudge was literally the only guy I could find that didn't fall off some sort of cliff at about 30-31....and he is arguably one of the best at the position ever. Not all these guys fell off the map, many had an OPS float around .735 or so...not terrible. However, not worth spending tens of million on if it happens. Elite catchers don't have good histories in their 30s.

I find it interesting most people on the board wanted nothing to do with extending Jonathan Lucroy, but Yasmani Grandal is a huge want. Quite a change of heart by the people of the board (not saying it is the same people).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:07 PM Post

Roster Guru
Outlander said:
With Shaw can they DFA him and outright to the minors? Usually with arbitration eligible players you tender or non them a contract but if they were able to DFA him who would claim him and be willing to pay him 5-6 million a year in arbitration.

travis shaw has an option remaining. it's very likely that the brewers will sign him to a split contract with a more generous minor league salary than that of similar age players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:08 PM Post

Roster Guru
BruisedCrew said:
I wonder if there will be room on the roster for both Gamel and Grisham, who are about as similar as they can be. With their various ailments, Braun, Cain, and Yelich all need occasional time off so the Brewers need flexible backups, and can’t afford one dimensional players like Aguilar and Santana.

the days of the 25-man roster are gone next year. there's room.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:18 PM Post
djoctagone said:
Outlander said:

travis shaw has an option remaining. it's very likely that the brewers will sign him to a split contract with a more generous minor league salary than that of similar age players.

Not sure Travis would go for that.......he might rather be released to try his luck somewhere else.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
Rumor had it Shaw was already unhappy with us and wanted to be released instead of rotting away his year in the minors. Not to mention he didn't seem to really enjoy the part time role even in September.

If he has a chance to leave he is going.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:27 PM Post
djoctagone said:
BruisedCrew said:
I wonder if there will be room on the roster for both Gamel and Grisham, who are about as similar as they can be. With their various ailments, Braun, Cain, and Yelich all need occasional time off so the Brewers need flexible backups, and can’t afford one dimensional players like Aguilar and Santana.

the days of the 25-man roster are gone next year. there's room.

The roster is only going up one to 26, and who knows if that extra spot will go to a position player or a pitcher. I don’t know if they finalized the proposal to increasing the IL for pitchers from 10 days to 15. Same for pitchers optioned to the minors. If implemented, those changes would put a speed bump in the way of the Albuquerque shuttle, and might force the Brewers to keep an extra pitcher as long as they won’t let starters face a lineup for a third time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:28 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Rumor had it Shaw was already unhappy with us and wanted to be released instead of rotting away his year in the minors. Not to mention he didn't seem to really enjoy the part time role even in September.

Is there any credibility whatsoever to this rumor other than a Cardinals' announcer just spewing it out on air?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:34 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

Shaw, in an Instagram post yesterday:

As I look back on 2019, all I can come up with is “WHY”. Why did this happen, why couldn’t I fix it, why did this last so long, why me. I went through periods of anger, frustration, disappointment, anxiousness, among others. 2019 broke me down to my core. But I can tell you one thing that was gained was wisdom and a self awareness of what’s important and how to make sure it doesn’t happen again. I don’t have the answers for what happened in 2019 but I know one thing, 2020 WILL be better. So much wisdom and mental strength was gained this year. Time to check out for awhile from baseball, and I promise 2020 will be special again, no regrets! Much love!

Those aren't the words of a guy who was unhappy and wanted his release. Seems pretty positive and self-reflective to me

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2019, 1:35 PM Post
adambr2 said:
MrTPlush said:

Is there any credibility whatsoever to this rumor other than a Cardinals' announcer just spewing it out on air?

None ... no credibility. Even less credibility for the "didn't seem to really enjoy the part time role even in September" part.

Shaw looked to me like a guy who was frustrated with his own performance. That's it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 91 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply