LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  [ 337 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Brewers rotation

Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers rotation
Posted: March 10, 2020, 11:56 PM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
DHonks said:

totally irrelevant. Fans worry more about arby clocks than teams to. Teams want production

I'd believe that if CC hadnt said Peralta and Lauer are battling for the #5 and guaranteed spots to Houser, Lindblom.....and Anderson. After Freddy's contract his service clock matters 0. Woodruff will be a Super 2. Lauer will be a Super 2 if he is on the roster 130days? Roughly. Hader is a Super 2. That will add up 2years from now. Hader#3 Woodruff#2 Lauer#2 Houser#1.
So just saying, it would help their payroll quite a bit to option him for 9starts.

Didn't he also say the loser was likely headed to the pen? That's the other thing with Lauer's injury: If they stick with the plan of having Burnes in AAA it opens up another bullpen job.

No, he said if Peralta loses he probably goes to the pen. If Lauer lost, he probably went to AAA for depth since we’ll need 10 starters this year

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 3:42 PM Post
Both Perakta and Burnes are going to be on the roster.....now just figuring out where

https://twitter.com/todd_rosiak/status/ ... 82496?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 3:48 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Both Perakta and Burnes are going to be on the roster.....now just figuring out where

Facepalm...

One bullpen and one starting seems like a safe bet for what will happen with those 2.

If one of these guys blows out an arm and needs TJ when shifting from pen to rotation later in the season...you may as well just ban me because I will not stop being upset about it on here.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 3:51 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
markedman5 said:

Facepalm...

One bullpen and one starting seems like a safe bet for what will happen with those 2.

If one of these guys blows out an arm and needs TJ when shifting from pen to rotation later in the season...you may as well just ban me because I will not stop being upset about it on here.

Give me a break........Take a breath dude.....seriously.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 5:45 PM Post
markedman5 said:

Holy crap did Burnes come a long way since last year! IF he can live up to his potential it would give the Crew two TOR guys and a great shot at the post season. I'm still going to be cautious and see if the hype is warrented this year, but dreaming of what could be is awesome.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 6:12 PM Post
markedman5 said:

Love it. Bullpen is that much stronger....or? Starting rotation is that much stronger

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 8:07 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
markedman5 said:

Facepalm...

Hmmmm never knew that was that big of an issue going back and forth. I’ve managed to watch baseball for a long time now & that really was never crossed my mind. I’ve said, if Mark Rogers blows out his arm again because they refuse to let his fragile arm pitch out of pen, I’ll lose my mind. But never have I thought about two guys with no previous injury now being at risk to blowing out arm from swinging back and forth.

Really depends on how they use them. April is a month you see guys only going 5 innings a lot anyway. If you have odd man out pitch long relief and keep them stretched out a bit it’s not a problem. Keep them pitching 2-3 innings on a good schedule. Now if they sit there, 1 inning here and there, then problems could come.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 8:12 PM Post
This time last year I was saying Burnes will be our Ace. This year I still believe same thing. I’m a Burnes homer though so even if he bombs again, next spring I’ll probably still sing same song. There is just too much potential in that guy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 8:26 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
markedman5 said:

Facepalm...

There is no reason to believe that moving from the pen to the rotation is bad for a pitchers arm, if anything this is the preferred way to break a starter in if you have the luxury to do it. I wouldn't want them to keep jerking them back and forth but if one is in the rotation half the season and them moves to the pen and the other is in the pen half the season and moves to the rotation that is called being smart.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 11:48 PM Post
Why not BOTH?

Burnes is a starter. No reason to have him in the pen. Start him or put him in AAA.
Peralta is looking like a starter or a fireman. I can see the case for each.

But there's still zero reason you have to START HOUSER who is worse than BOTH of these options. Lauer hurt. Ok you are in AAA. Woodruff Anderson Burnes Lindblom Peralta works just fine and is the PATH WE WANT TO BE ON LONG TERM! In 2020-2021 there is zero case you can make to say Houser is better than Lauer. Anderson goes FA, Lauer steps in. Lindblom will be looking to hold off the entire farm and 1 small year later there could be 2-3 guys knocking on that door.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 6:23 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Why not BOTH?

Burnes is a starter. No reason to have him in the pen. Start him or put him in AAA.

But there's still zero reason you have to START HOUSER who is worse than BOTH of these options. Lauer hurt. Ok you are in AAA. Woodruff Anderson Burnes Lindblom Peralta works just fine and is the PATH WE WANT TO BE ON LONG TERM! In 2020-2021 there is zero case you can make to say Houser is better than Lauer. Anderson goes FA, Lauer steps in. Lindblom will be looking to hold off the entire farm and 1 small year later there could be 2-3 guys knocking on that door.

You keep preaching this, and I keep responding by saying that there is absolutely no indication that Houser's spot in the rotation is anywhere close to being in jeopardy. No matter how much you want it, you simply cannot wish it true. Every time Counsell has been asked about his rotation this spring, Houser has been a part of it.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 7:41 AM Post
Ennder said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Facepalm...

There is no reason to believe that moving from the pen to the rotation is bad for a pitchers arm, if anything this is the preferred way to break a starter in if you have the luxury to do it. I wouldn't want them to keep jerking them back and forth but if one is in the rotation half the season and them moves to the pen and the other is in the pen half the season and moves to the rotation that is called being smart.

The situation you're referring to generally happens over multiple seasons. Kinda like Woodruff and Burnes were both initially broken in moving from AAA rotation to MLB bullpen...then to the rotation the following season. After a full offseason to rest/recover, and stretch out on a normal routine. Asking these guys to stretch out, then pitch short outings potentially everyday, and then stretch back out 2 months later. Aside from injury concerns, it also has been discussed at length how that may have contributed to Houser struggling in the rotation after being lights out in the pen for a month and a half last year. It's not an easy thing to do in a competitive environment. If Anderson has to stretch back out in May and blows out his arm...oh well, if it wasn't his arm it would be something else with that guy. We should take more care to protect these young arms, as we've clearly struggled to develop quality arms for a long time and finally have a few good ones.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 11:44 AM Post
Houser is not a young arm. He's in the middle of his career age wise.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 4:59 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
TJseven7 said:
Why not BOTH?

You keep preaching this, and I keep responding by saying that there is absolutely no indication that Houser's spot in the rotation is anywhere close to being in jeopardy. No matter how much you want it, you simply cannot wish it true. Every time Counsell has been asked about his rotation this spring, Houser has been a part of it.

It'll come true. The question is how soon.

Woodruff Burnes Peralta are all better.
Small and Ashby are more talented.
Lindblom Lauer Supak and File fit better in the rotation than in the pen.

He will not be in the rotation in MKE's long term (beyond mid season in 2021) plans. Why they feel determined to put him into the rotation, I simply don't know. If they are that determined to increase his sale price, I hope it works and that it doesn't backfire and hurt the team's results and delay better options.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 6:01 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
Why they feel determined to put him into the rotation, I simply don't know.

I know the answer to this. It's because they are much, much smarter baseball decision makers than we are. Which, you know, they have proven. Counsell has had him in the rotation all along this spring, which tells me that they see him as a fixture there, despite what us know-nothings say otherwise.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 7:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
So does a shortened season help or hurt Brewers pitching? I didn't think Woodruff was going to top 180 IP but now looks like that won't matter.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 7:13 PM Post
I actually think it'll help. We won't have to worry about anyone's innings limits now.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  [ 337 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply