Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers rotation

Posted: October 06, 2019, 2:53 PM Post
Locks:
Woodruff
Davies

Probable:
Houser

Option/outgoing free agents/arbitration:
Anderson- I think i'd decline the option since I think it's higher than his free agent price so the brewers could save some $$ on that roster spot
Lyles- I'd be interested in pursuing him. Realistically, a contract like the one Miley got makes sense. However, with the free agent market being relatively thin for relievers I wonder if some teams might pursue him as a reliever and drive up the price.
Gio- I'd be interested in brining him back. I don't think he gets much more than $3mm or so guaranteed.
Nelson- I'd lean toward tendering him a contract and seeing what he's like in spring before his contract becomes fully guaranteed. Stearns seemed to dance around the Nelson questions in the season wrap up presser.
Pomeranz- if they are able to bring him back it's 99.9% chance as a reliever. F

Other internal options:
Peralta- I think they should stretch him out as a starter in spring. May end up in the pen and/or shuttle squad
Burnes- Same deal as peralta.
Suter- I think they should stretch him out, but it would be hard to move him out of the pen role based on that performance in september.
Faria- bring him to spring and see if he can earn a spot on the roster in some capacity.

Free agent starter I'm most interested in is Wheeler, but I'd guess he's going to be way more expensive than the Brewers will be in the market for.
I like Colin McHugh as a swing man type if he's healthy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
long ball said:
Free agent starter I'm most interested in is Wheeler, but I'd guess he's going to be way more expensive than the Brewers will be in the market for.

If Grandal goes somewhere else and we go the Pina route, then you have $18M to spend on pitching. I assume it would be a tier below Wheeler and more in the $12M/year market and use the extra as needed - but if they really like Wheeler, they could make it happen.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Brewers rotation

Posted: October 07, 2019, 7:55 AM Post
True, but that 18 million is one year, Wheeler is going take a bigger commitment than one season.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 8:19 AM Post
turborickey said:
True, but that 18 million is one year, Wheeler is going take a bigger commitment than one season.

I realize that. The first year is the hardest year to budget usually - as you have more commitments and less planning time. In our instance we can fit him in 2020 (with no Grandal), and he carries forward as a commitment to budget around. Hopefully the Braun savings in 2021 can for other team needs.

I don't especially want Wheeler unless the price is right, but we can afford him unless someone with deep pockets really likes him (Cole, Stratsburg, Ryu).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 9:09 AM Post
I obviously do very well at Wrigley,” Hamels told Mooney, speaking of his free agency options. “Hopefully, that’s what they think about. Otherwise, I know the other teams in the division are going to think about it. If you have to come to Wrigley three different times, I don’t pitch bad there…I know I do very well in the NL Central.”

While this ultimately may amount to little more than a bit of lighthearted dialogue between a veteran pitcher and a beat reporter with whom he has developed rapport, it seems noteworthy that Hamels may already be imagining himself in the uniform of another NL Central club. Certainly, it would be painful for Cubs fans to see Hamels defect after establishing himself as something of a club rival killer during his time on the North Side.

As Mooney points out, Hamels has posted sterling career numbers against NL Central teams in his career, dating back to his time in Philadelphia:

• Hamels vs. Cincinnati: 11-2, 2.30 ERA (20 starts)

• Hamels vs. Milwaukee: 8-5, 3.53 ERA (20 starts)

• Hamels vs. Pittsburgh: 5-4, 2.52 ERA (13 starts)

• Hamels vs. St. Louis: 5-6, 2.21 ERA (17 starts)

Makes a lot of sense for the Brewers, at 36 years old Hamels is not going to command the long term high dollar contract the Brewers never give out. As evidenced with Grandal the Brewers are willing to offer a high salary on a short term contract.

An established veteran like Hamels would also slot into a young rotation: Woodruff, Hamels, Davies, Houser, then one of Anderson/Nelson/Suter/Peralta/Burnes/Faria.

Plus from the stats above he is a killer in the division with his worst numbers in the division are against the brewers

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 9:37 AM Post
Hamels is definitely an interesting target. I definitely though Hamels was washed and I was not all that concerned when the Cubs acquired him last year. He's been very good for them though.

Hamels went 6 or more IP in 12 of his 27 starts. No guarantee the brewers would use him the same way as the cubs did, but he at least has the potential to be effective AND work slightly deeper into games at a slightly higher rate than the Brewers typically use their starters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 12:57 PM Post
Hamels might make sense as a bridge to Ashby or Small.

But we'd have to see Ashby make a huge jump - and the same with Small.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 3:15 PM Post
Super funny we would consider Hamels given the trash talking he has done the last year+ ... BUT if there is a team that is better suited for a veteran looking for a short term deal to maximize dollars.. I'd like to know who that is. Hamels does, fortunately or unfortunately, make a lot of sense.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Brewers rotation

Posted: October 07, 2019, 3:16 PM Post
liveforoctober said:
Super funny we would consider Hamels given the trash talking he has done the last year+ ... BUT if there is a team that is better suited for a veteran looking for a short term deal to maximize dollars.. I'd like to know who that is. Hamels does, fortunately or unfortunately, make a lot of sense.

I know it doesn't matter as much as it used to, but it would be nice to have a lefty to break up the righties in the rotation as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 9:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
Davies
Woodruff
Houser
Lyles (2-years, $8-10M)
Gio (1-year, $3-4M)

Why?

Anderson will make $8.5 million. You can probably get a better player for $8M.

Nelson made $3.7M in 2019. Figure he makes a similar number next year in his final year of arby. That's just too much for someone who has not looked good. The team will just cut ties, unless they can ink him to a lesser deal. The team could offer Nelson arbitration, see how he does in camp, and cut him if he looks bad. They would only need to pay him 1/6 of his salary - which would probably be 600-650k. This is, obviously, risky, but if Nelson comes out looking solid, you're good. If not, the money lose isn't overwhelming.

Relievers: Hader, Knebel, Suter, Claudio, Guerra, Pomeranz (if he can be resigned), plus a couple of guys from the list of Jay Jackson, Taylor Williams, Faria, and maybe Jeffress on a minor league or cheap deal. And maybe one of the minor league guys will step up.

Peralta and Burnes would need to be assessed and slotted in appropriately. Freddy might be best as a reliever, but I can't really say. Burnes is hard. I thought he was going to be a good player this year. I'd say let him be a starter - head to the minors and get stuff together. We'll need him eventually. He could be your 6th starter (assuming he looks okay). Otherwise, you fall back on someone like Faria for the rotation - which his really risky.

In the end, I don't see big free agent signings. No way we pay $35M for Cole or $30M for Strasburg (or whatever they will make). And paying $15M+ for a mid-level starter seems to be a bad idea. I think the club will inquire on a bunch of guys - MadBum, Odorizzi, Wheeler, etc., etc. - but someone will overpay for them - in years and dollars.

If a bargain falls into the club's lap, sure, they will pounce. But they won't overextend themselves on starters. They'll settle for guys like Gio and Lyles. I also could see them adding a bounce back arm, like Alex Wood. He's the kind of guy that could start, or end up in the bullpen.

All just my way to early guesses.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply