LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

David Stearns comments on upcoming offseason

Offline  Re: David Stearns comments on upcoming offseason

Posted: October 06, 2019, 10:24 PM Post
Pugger said:
adambr2 said:
I personally can't imagine that 1B coach is a really tough position to replace.

Subero did more than just coach 1st base. Having an assistant fluent in Spanish is a plus too.

I didn't know that Subero was Venezuelan too...So all of our tenured latino players (Arcia, Pina, Guerra, Perez, and Aguilar, anyway) and a coach were Venezuelan. Aguilar is already gone, Perez has been DFA'd once, Guerra is turning 35 and Arcia may be non-tendered.

I'd feel bad for Pina if they were all close and he is the only one retained, but that's pro-sports.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 6:39 AM Post
Arcia non-tendered?

Highly doubtful.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: David Stearns comments on upcoming offseason

Posted: October 07, 2019, 7:44 AM Post
turborickey said:
Arcia non-tendered?

Highly doubtful.

Yeah ... not gonna happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2019, 9:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
Villar was a talented, frustrating and inconsistent player. That's the kind of person that drives managers crazy. He was an erratic fielder, and his base running was often a source of frustration. Reliability is a huge part of being a professional ballplayer (or in any field). Teams pay big dollars to players to take care of business. Villar had obvious skills, and had had one great season. But had followed with several bad-mediocre ones. As a playoff contender, the club was at a point where 'bad' Villar was more common than 'good' Villar. You just can't live with that kind of production.

This is why Arcia is going to be heavily scrutinized. The club needs better and more consistent production from the position. If this was a sub-.500 team, you can live with his inconsistencies and hope he matures. But if you want to be a contender, the club might put more value on a different type of player.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2019, 6:12 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
turborickey said:
Arcia non-tendered?

Highly doubtful.

Yeah ... not gonna happen.

Yeah. "Moving on" from Arcia would not be non-tendering him. It'd be him as the utility IF or getting platooned or starting the year in AAA or (unlikely as his trade value must be rock bottom) being traded. He is not getting non-tendered.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:44 PM Post
I wonder if moving on from Anderson is the start of a busy offseason. Stearns mentioned that the roster could look drastically different in the spring and I think this is only the beginning. I truly do think we are going to see a very different roster next season than what we saw this year.

Anderson $6.5 million
Moose $7 million
Grandal $16.25 million
Thames $6 million
Shaw $4.7 million
Chacin $6.75 million
Jeffress $ 3.2 million
Guerra $2.25 million
Albers $2.5 million
Nelson $3.7 million
Perez $2.5 million
Gonzalez $1.7 million

$63.05 million

That is a TON of financial flexibility that the Brewers could realistically have this offseason. Most likely they will bring back a couple guys like Guerra and someone like Moose, but the ability to have a ton of money to spend is there. It’s nice not being tied into a bunch of long term contracts and to have the flexibility to address issues in the offseason. And to think of how much of that money could fall off from guys that really didn’t contribute much at all for us during the season (Jeffress, Chacin, Nelson, Shaw, Perez, Albers). There isn’t anybody on the free agent market we couldn’t afford. Is it realistic to get Cole and put that much money into one guy? Probably not. But if you let Grandal, Jeffress, Chacin, and Anderson leave (which has pretty much already happened), you can get Cole. Bring Moose back for $10-$12 million, maybe decide to bring back Thames at a lower amount, and still have roughly $15 million or so left over to get a SS upgrade, bring back Pomeranz, and someone like Lyles to fill out the rotation.

And now I just see Thames’ option isn’t being picked up. This is going to be a busy offseason. Stearns absolutely wants a ton of flexibility.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
This is all a bit odd. Pretty much everybody wanted Anderson and Thames traded last offseason and they were retained...then both went on to have good years that seemingly re-couped their value and looked to be decent veteran depth pieces heading into next year. Now both are gone, the roster is very thin and we have a lot of cash...

I like the confidence Stearns has to shake things up and make the most of the cash...we'll see. I think/hope we are going after Grandal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:00 PM Post
To add to this, I just saw something that is interesting. The Brewers have a grand total of 4 players signed for 2020– Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, and Manny Pina for a grand total of $46.35 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:52 PM Post
RollieTime said:
To add to this, I just saw something that is interesting. The Brewers have a grand total of 4 players signed for 2020– Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, and Manny Pina for a grand total of $46.35 million.

Well- "veterans signed", anyway. It's a bit misleading, as everybody with less than 6 years of MLB time aren't technically "signed," but they aren't going anywhere unless traded.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:57 PM Post
Oxy said:
RollieTime said:

Well- "veterans signed", anyway. It's a bit misleading, as everybody with less than 6 years of MLB time aren't technically "signed," but they aren't going anywhere unless traded.

True, but the non tender decisions are yet to come.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 5:27 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Oxy said:
RollieTime said:

True, but the non tender decisions are yet to come.

Yeah, I think guys like Shaw, Perez, and Nelson will be non-tendered. While others like Guerra and Arcia might also be looking for a job somewhere else.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:05 PM Post
RollieTime said:
Yeah, I think guys like Shaw, Perez, and Nelson will be non-tendered. While others like Guerra and Arcia might also be looking for a job somewhere else.

I'm right there with you. If Thames and his .851 OPS is deemed not worth $7.5 million, I'm specifically having a hard time seeing them give Shaw $4.7M.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:55 PM Post
RollieTime said:

I'm right there with you. If Thames and his .851 OPS is deemed not worth $7.5 million, I'm specifically having a hard time seeing them give Shaw $4.7M.

Kinda seems like Stearns is in clean house mode this offseason, but do we think he can pull off a major overhaul, or is he up to something else? There's only so many holes you can fill in the offseason when you can't spend $200M. I'm a little concerned that we need a couple starting pitchers, at least one reliever maybe more, a 1B, a 3B, a SS, and a C. That's a lot of holes to fill, we may have to settle for some holes somewhere.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:02 PM Post
Greenleaf1 said:
RollieTime said:

Kinda seems like Stearns is in clean house mode this offseason, but do we think he can pull off a major overhaul, or is he up to something else? There's only so many holes you can fill in the offseason when you can't spend $200M. I'm a little concerned that we need a couple starting pitchers, at least one reliever maybe more, a 1B, a 3B, a SS, and a C. That's a lot of holes to fill, we may have to settle for some holes somewhere.

Exactly. I mean, replace Arcia. I have no problem with that but then you are going to have Pina at catcher or you are going to have Shaw at third. Pick your poison but they aren't fixing every thing on this team.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:24 PM Post
They just let go of two guys that weren't exactly broken and you guys think taking the same step with complete non-producers in Arcia, Shaw, and Nelson is opening up too many holes to fill? Just about any warm body could replicate what those three gave the Brewers last year. It wouldn't make any sense to move on from Thames and Anderson but stay glued to all 3 of Arcia, Shaw, and Nelson. It may not be obvious to everyone yet but this team is shaking things up in a big way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:47 PM Post
Ah, now we have another "seer" on the board. Who said anything at all about Nelson much less keeping all three. I don't think they keep all three but I'd bet they keep one or two. I'm not particularly attached to any of them but if they have to keep one of them, Arcia is the smart play and keeping Shaw seems likely as well.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:32 PM Post
Now that we dumped Thames and Anderson we can begin working on the next Braun extension.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:36 PM Post
RollieTime said:
....Yeah, I think guys like Shaw, Perez, and Nelson will be non-tendered. While others like Guerra and Arcia might also be looking for a job somewhere else.

What Perez are you thinking of? Hernan? They can't non-tender Hernan Perez because he's already a free agent. He was outrighted off the roster a couple weeks ago, declined the outright (since he'd been outrighted previously), and thus became a FA.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply