LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Grandal declines mutual option

Author Message
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#41

Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:25 AM Post
Posts: 4441
trwi7 said:
Thurston Fluff said:
Why are you expecting it? Not trying to be a wienie about it given the season he had. I'm just interesting in your reasoning behind that expectation. Is it because it hurts less to expect nothing, are you hoping to be pleasantly surprised, is there something in his hitting profile you don't like or some other reason altogether?


Wouldn't be the first time in the last decade that an older, not highly regarded 3rd baseman for the Brewers has a couple good years and completely falls apart.


There is a reason McGehee was picked up for nothing and the Brewers had to trade an above average major league reliever for Shaw. Shaw was a much better prospect than McGehee. McGehee had zero seasons in the minors with an OPS above 800. Shaw had one below it. Shaw's worst minor league numbers were close to McGehee's average season. Hell Shaw's bad season in Boston was only slightly worse than McGehee's career minor league numbers. Shaw may never be as good as he was his first two years here but to think he's more likely to put up last season's numbers going forward than what he did the rest of his career seems overly pessimistic.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#42

Posted: November 03, 2019, 12:56 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 581
Good. Guy is a cheater that should have been thrown out of the league years ago.


Last edited by RoCoBrewfan on November 03, 2019, 1:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't use abbreviations or creative spelling to get around the swear filter.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#43

Posted: November 03, 2019, 1:00 PM Post
Posts: 747
Minigoon said:
Good. Guy is a POS cheater that should have been thrown out of the league years ago.


???


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#44

Posted: November 03, 2019, 1:10 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8293
Based on a quick review of his posting history, I'm betting he's referring to Biogenesis.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#45

Posted: November 03, 2019, 3:59 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 18806
Thurston Fluff said:
trwi7 said:
Thurston Fluff said:
Why are you expecting it? Not trying to be a wienie about it given the season he had. I'm just interesting in your reasoning behind that expectation. Is it because it hurts less to expect nothing, are you hoping to be pleasantly surprised, is there something in his hitting profile you don't like or some other reason altogether?


Wouldn't be the first time in the last decade that an older, not highly regarded 3rd baseman for the Brewers has a couple good years and completely falls apart.


There is a reason McGehee was picked up for nothing and the Brewers had to trade an above average major league reliever for Shaw. Shaw was a much better prospect than McGehee. McGehee had zero seasons in the minors with an OPS above 800. Shaw had one below it. Shaw's worst minor league numbers were close to McGehee's average season. Hell Shaw's bad season in Boston was only slightly worse than McGehee's career minor league numbers. Shaw may never be as good as he was his first two years here but to think he's more likely to put up last season's numbers going forward than what he did the rest of his career seems overly pessimistic.


None of this changes the fact that Shaw wasn't highly regarded.

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#46

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:01 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 495
Location: Chicago
The Brewers were able to sign Lorenzo Cain because they gave the 32 year old player a five year contract.
The Brewers were able to sign Randy Wolf because they gave the 33 year old player a three year contract.
The Brewers were able to sign Kyle Lohse because they gave the 34 year old player a three year contract.
The Brewers were able to sign Matt Garza because they gave the 30 year old player a four year contract.

If my memory serves these contracts all contain extra year beyond what the 'pundits' suggested they would get.

Like wise, I'm sure Grandal will have half a dozen offers in the 3 year/60 million dollar tier. He will likely sign with the first team to give him a 4 year contract with an AAV of 20 million per season.

I think the Brewers could sign Grandal to a 4 year contract and back load the earnings to something like: 15 million in 2020, 18 million in 2021, 23 million in 2022, and 24 million in 2023. Under such a format, they'd retain Grandal for a lower price in 2020 than in 2019 allowing them more flexibility for next year's team. Then when Braun's contact ends after 2020, they'd still save money in the aggregate because there would be a step down from Braun's 21 million to Grandal's 18. Then they have zero guaranteed contracts on the books for 2023 and even if Yelich resigns they've carried two 20+ million dollar salaries before. The biggest question remains is it wise to give a 4 year contract to a 31 year old catcher


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#47

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1069
Jopal78! said:
The Brewers were able to sign Lorenzo Cain because they gave the 32 year old player a five year contract.
The Brewers were able to sign Randy Wolf because they gave the 33 year old player a three year contract.
The Brewers were able to sign Kyle Lohse because they gave the 34 year old player a three year contract.
The Brewers were able to sign Matt Garza because they gave the 30 year old player a four year contract.

If my memory serves these contracts all contain extra year beyond what the 'pundits' suggested they would get.

Like wise, I'm sure Grandal will have half a dozen offers in the 3 year/60 million dollar tier. He will likely sign with the first team to give him a 4 year contract with an AAV of 20 million per season.

I think the Brewers could sign Grandal to a 4 year contract and back load the earnings to something like: 15 million in 2020, 18 million in 2021, 23 million in 2022, and 24 million in 2023. Under such a format, they'd retain Grandal for a lower price in 2020 than in 2019 allowing them more flexibility for next year's team. Then when Braun's contact ends after 2020, they'd still save money in the aggregate because there would be a step down from Braun's 21 million to Grandal's 18. Then they have zero guaranteed contracts on the books for 2023 and even if Yelich resigns they've carried two 20+ million dollar salaries before. The biggest question remains is it wise to give a 4 year contract to a 31 year old catcher


It is NOT wise to give a 31 year old catcher a 4 year contract.

The Brewers should be putting all their efforts into using money from Braun's salary coming off the books after next year into signing Christian Yelich to an extension.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#48

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:28 AM Post
Posts: 12156
A Swing and A Drive said:
The Brewers should be putting all their efforts into using money from Braun's salary coming off the books after next year into signing Christian Yelich to an extension.


Why? So two years into that mega deal we are wishing we didn't have it just like Braun's contract?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#49

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:32 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8293
MrTPlush said:
A Swing and A Drive said:
The Brewers should be putting all their efforts into using money from Braun's salary coming off the books after next year into signing Christian Yelich to an extension.


Why? So two years into that mega deal we are wishing we didn't have it just like Braun's contract?


Couldn't agree more.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#50

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1069
Because otherwise Christian Yelich will only be a Milwaukee Brewers for 3 more seasons and will simply leave to the highest bidding team.

He will only be 30 when he is set to hit free agency.

The Brewers could look at extending his current deal 2-3 years and it would not be taking that big of a risk for a player of his caliber.

The Brewers could entice him by upping his yearly salary for 2020-22 with an extension.

Makes a ton of sense to at least attempt for an elite franchise player in his prime.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#51

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
Posts: 547
A Swing and A Drive said:
Because otherwise Christian Yelich will only be a Milwaukee Brewers for 3 more seasons and will simply leave to the highest bidding team.

He will only be 30 when he is set to hit free agency.

The Brewers could look at extending his current deal 2-3 years and it would not be taking that big of a risk for a player of his caliber.

The Brewers could entice him by upping his yearly salary for 2020-22 with an extension.

Makes a ton of sense to at least attempt for an elite franchise player in his prime.


Have been thinking about this - Brewers offer Yelich a 3/$120 mil extension - Bump his salary up the next three years from 12.5/14/15 to 17.5/24/30 mil and then pay him 30/30/30


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#52

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:13 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 18806
A Swing and A Drive said:
The Brewers could look at extending his current deal 2-3 years and it would not be taking that big of a risk for a player of his caliber.


Why would Yelich want to go to the free agent market as a 32 or 33 year old than as a 30 year old?

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#53

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:48 PM Post
Posts: 500
mlloyd10 said:
A Swing and A Drive said:
Because otherwise Christian Yelich will only be a Milwaukee Brewers for 3 more seasons and will simply leave to the highest bidding team.

He will only be 30 when he is set to hit free agency.

The Brewers could look at extending his current deal 2-3 years and it would not be taking that big of a risk for a player of his caliber.

The Brewers could entice him by upping his yearly salary for 2020-22 with an extension.

Makes a ton of sense to at least attempt for an elite franchise player in his prime.


Have been thinking about this - Brewers offer Yelich a 3/$120 mil extension - Bump his salary up the next three years from 12.5/14/15 to 17.5/24/30 mil and then pay him 30/30/30


3/120 is $40M per year. NO team is going to give Yellich that. Why bump his salary up $28M in the next 3 years? That takes away any money for pitching. Imo use a small salary bump on the current contract ($1-1.5M) and then a 3 year extension.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#54

Posted: November 04, 2019, 9:16 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6571
MLB Trade Rumors released their 2019-20 Top 50 MLB Free Agents With Predictions.

Here is their prediction for Grandal who they rank as the 7th best free agent...

7. Yasmani Grandal – Reds. Four years, $68MM.

In each of the last two years, Grandal has trailed only J.T. Realmuto for the highest WAR among catchers. Grandal is the best-hitting catcher in baseball over the last two seasons with a 123 wRC+, a mark that would look good for a player at any position but is downright Herculean compared to the average catcher’s 84 wRC+ in that time. On the defensive side, Grandal has caught more innings than anyone over the last two seasons and continually rates as one of the game’s best pitch framers.

Back in January, Grandal signed a surprising one-year, $18.25MM contract with the Brewers. Though his market was depressed by a qualifying offer and perhaps some high-profile gaffes in last year’s playoffs, the backstop still received plenty of multiyear offers, including a four-year proposal from the Mets in excess of $50MM. Grandal explained in January that average annual value was important to him: “These are guys who have established a market and pay levels for a particular tier of catchers like myself. I felt l would be doing a disservice taking some of the deals that were offered even though they were slightly more long term.”

It certainly appears Grandal’s bet will pay off, as even a three-year, $42MM deal would put him ahead of the Mets offer he spurned. Grandal turns 31 this month and has a good shot at a four-year deal. This time, he hits the market on a positive note and without the anchor of a qualifying offer. The Brewers will likely attempt to re-sign him, but the Reds, Nationals, Braves, Mets, Rays, White Sox, Angels, and Rangers could also be in the mix.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#55

Posted: November 04, 2019, 9:26 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10652
It would be a kick in the nuts if he goes to the Reds. Damn.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#56

Posted: November 04, 2019, 9:26 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6571
Similarly Jim Bowden of The Athletic wrote a piece titled Ranking the top 35 free agents, and predicting their contracts and best fits in which he listed Grandal as the 10th best free agent and predicted a 3 year deal for $57 million ($19 million AAV). He listed the best fits as being the Brewers, Reds, Astros, and Rays.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#57

Posted: November 05, 2019, 9:29 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1069
Eye Black said:
Similarly Jim Bowden of The Athletic wrote a piece titled Ranking the top 35 free agents, and predicting their contracts and best fits in which he listed Grandal as the 10th best free agent and predicted a 3 year deal for $57 million ($19 million AAV). He listed the best fits as being the Brewers, Reds, Astros, and Rays.


Out of curiosity, which of the Top 35 free agents does Jim Bowden predict Brewers will sign?

I'm feeling maybe a RHP Julio Teheran on a 2 year deal myself.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#58

Posted: November 05, 2019, 9:31 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9491
A Swing and A Drive said:
Eye Black said:
Similarly Jim Bowden of The Athletic wrote a piece titled Ranking the top 35 free agents, and predicting their contracts and best fits in which he listed Grandal as the 10th best free agent and predicted a 3 year deal for $57 million ($19 million AAV). He listed the best fits as being the Brewers, Reds, Astros, and Rays.


Out of curiosity, which of the Top 35 free agents does Jim Bowden predict Brewers will sign?

I'm feeling maybe a RHP Julio Teheran on a 2 year deal myself.


He didn't predict who would sign them, just multiple best fits. The Brewers were probably listed as a fit for 20-25 of the 35 guys.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Grandal declines mutual option
#59

Posted: November 05, 2019, 10:06 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6571
A Swing and A Drive said:
Out of curiosity, which of the Top 35 free agents does Jim Bowden predict Brewers will sign?

I'm feeling maybe a RHP Julio Teheran on a 2 year deal myself.

As JMB mentioned, he listed anywhere from one to seven teams considered "best fits" for each free agent. The Brewers were listed for nearly every SP that wasn't among his top three (Cole, Strasburg, Bumgarner). The Brewers were listed among the best fits for Zack Wheeler, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Yasmani Grandal, Jake Odorizzi, Cole Hamels, Dallas Keuchel, Mike Moustakas, Michael Pineda, Kyle Gibson, Rick Porcello, Drew Pomeranz, Rich Hill, and Tanner Roark.

He didn't include Julio Teheran in his top 35 free agents, but I am guessing that is because many weren't expecting Teheran to become a free agent until his option was declined yesterday.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test