LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Rule Changes for rosters in 2020

Offline  Re: Rule Changes for rosters in 2020

Posted: November 02, 2019, 7:35 AM Post
The implementation of these rules probably explains why Hernan Perez was outrighted this time.

Not enough IP to go two-way, and they can't designate him a pitcher.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2019, 7:39 AM Post
clancyphile said:
The implementation of these rules probably explains why Hernan Perez was outrighted this time.

Not enough IP to go two-way, and they can't designate him a pitcher.

Yeah, that's gotta be it [rolling eyes]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2019, 11:56 PM Post
I’m concerned that the limits of pitchers on a roster, and 28 in September is really going to put the Brewers at a huge disadvantage. The reason the Brewers made the playoffs in 2018 and 2019 was in large part to great Septembers which were great because of pitcher match ups that were made possible by expanded rosters.

I know our Commissioner also talked about banning shifts in the past which the Brewers rely on. I wonder if our commissioner doesn’t seem to care about the small to mid market teams because doing things like this is the only way that clubs can be competitive with the big markets as far as thinking outside the box.

Maybe our Commissioner wants his league to be top heavy in the future.

I know this may seem like a dumb rant but if the Brewers cannot compete financially they need to find other ways to do it and if you take those ways away I’m just frustrated I Apologize. This is why I read more than post lol.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 6:48 AM Post
I highly doubt this has anything to do with market sizes. People have disliked the expanded rosters for a long time, including Melvin when he was GM here.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Rule Changes for rosters in 2020

Posted: December 16, 2019, 7:16 AM Post
Expanded rosters stunk. I'm so glad they got rid of it. Stearns/Counsell will either figure out a way to make sure they have fresh arms or they won't. Either way, the game will be better without having 40 members of a team being able to be used.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 8:03 AM Post
Brewermania101 said:
I’m concerned that the limits of pitchers on a roster, and 28 in September is really going to put the Brewers at a huge disadvantage. The reason the Brewers made the playoffs in 2018 and 2019 was in large part to great Septembers which were great because of pitcher match ups that were made possible by expanded rosters.

I know our Commissioner also talked about banning shifts in the past which the Brewers rely on. I wonder if our commissioner doesn’t seem to care about the small to mid market teams because doing things like this is the only way that clubs can be competitive with the big markets as far as thinking outside the box.

I know this may seem like a dumb rant but if the Brewers cannot compete financially they need to find other ways to do it and if you take those ways away I’m just frustrated I Apologize. This is why I read more than post lol.

I think people are over-inflating how the expanded rosters helped the Brewers in September. Most of those guys they brought up barely played. A few of the pitchers got some mop up innings, but for the most part they deployed the guys they always did, just in a bit of a different fashion.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 9:40 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brewermania101 said:

I think people are over-inflating how the expanded rosters helped the Brewers in September. Most of those guys they brought up barely played. A few of the pitchers got some mop up innings, but for the most part they deployed the guys they always did, just in a bit of a different fashion.

Those mop up innings allowed others to pitch in meaningful positions.... I'm thinking of Jackson, in particular

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 9:53 AM Post
Personally I’ve always enjoyed expanded rosters. I liked seeing guys who had a nice season getting rewarded with a big league call up, and it’s fun to get that first look at how they handle the majors.

To me the games are even more entertaining seeing the manager get to pull out all the stops with matchups, defensive replacements, and pinch runners. I do realize that most fans probably feel differently.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 11:30 AM Post
I don't understand why you'd put a restriction on the number of Ps on your active roster. If a team wants to go 9 position players and 16 (17 now) pitchers...so what?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 16, 2019, 11:17 PM Post
I do believe that restricting strategy eventually will hurt competition, especially for smaller market team who often have to think outside the box. I also like the expanded rosters. I like to go to late season games especially to get a look at the young guys or the successful AAA guys. I think the commissioner’s main job should be tailoring the rules to increase competition not to ensure its commercialization. It my interpretation that the new rules will stymie competition.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Rule Changes for rosters in 2020

Posted: December 17, 2019, 11:39 AM Post
PlayerHader said:
I don't understand why you'd put a restriction on the number of Ps on your active roster. If a team wants to go 9 position players and 16 (17 now) pitchers...so what?

Because pitching changes take time and that's bad. Less pitchers, less changes, more excitement!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply