LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 86 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers deal Chase Anderson to Blue Jays for minor league 1B Chad Spanberger

Offline  Re: Brewers deal Chase Anderson to Blue Jays!

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:57 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Think I prefer Vlad Sr.

What were you expecting for Chase Anderson? Spanberger is at least an actual honest-to-goodness prospect.

Not really as he wasn't even in the Blue Jays top 30 but also didn't expect much for Chase.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:57 AM Post
The Span Man is coming to Brew Town! Get that playoff ticket money saved!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:59 AM Post
Always makes me feel warm and fuzzy when Stearns does the same thing I would've done. I was worried they were going to pick up Chase's option. Instead it turns out they were trying to deal him and if they couldn't find a taker they were going to decline it. Allocate those dollars elsewhere.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
Outlander said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Think I prefer Vlad Sr.

What were you expecting for Chase Anderson? Spanberger is at least an actual honest-to-goodness prospect.

Not really as he wasn't even in the Blue Jays top 30 but also didn't expect much for Chase.

Yeah this is more about not paying that option on Anderson. Spanberger is a lottery ticket.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
Outlander said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Think I prefer Vlad Sr.

So because he wasn't in an arbitrary Top 30 list, it means he isn't a prospect? Dude was drafted in the 6th round two years ago. I mean, he's not some sort of otherworldly get, but there is value there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:04 AM Post
So where does this put our payroll currently?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:22 AM Post
Bob Nightengale indicates that the Brewers were not planning on exercising Anderson's option. That surprises me a bit, as solid pitching is hard to come by. That does make the fact that they acquired something of value for him that much better, though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:24 AM Post
How long before Jordan Lyles is signed?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:28 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
How long before Jordan Lyles is signed?

He'll sign with the Marlins. We'll see him again come Aug. 1 [smile]

In seriousness, I would certainly hope that Lyles is part of the plan for next year's rotation. He's likely not as good as his 2019 numbers as a Brewer indicate, but there's still a lot of wiggle room there to be a solid starter moving forward.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Outlander said:

So because he wasn't in an arbitrary Top 30 list, it means he isn't a prospect? Dude was drafted in the 6th round two years ago. I mean, he's not some sort of otherworldly get, but there is value there.

Well he did make the Jays Journal preseason top 30 list.

Baseball Trade Values had Chase Anderson's value at $0.0 and Chad Spanberger's value at $0.2 million ($200K), so according to their valuation system the Brewers scored a net gain on the trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:45 AM Post
Good trade. I was not in favor of bringing Chase back at that price. Thought they would just cut ties and move on, getting Spanberger back is a plus. Good luck Chase, now watch him go win the AL Cy Young next year! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
I wasn't expecting the Brewer to pick up the option, so not very surprising. Hard to justify that pricetag when he's someone who either can't or isn't trusted to go beyond 5 innings (Sometimes not even that). Good luck to Chase, seeme like a good guy who had some good games as a Brewer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:58 AM Post
Yeah, I'm absolutely on board with this move. Use some of this money saved by not signing Chase to go out and sign Lyles (still hard to know how much Lyles would cost us), and maybe you'll still have a little extra left over then that you can use towards another F/A signing? It's been very clear over the past two years that Stearns/CC did not really trust Chase much, so I feel like the writing was on the wall for awhile that we weren't going to be picking up his option. Now, we don't have to pay the 1M buyout either - and again, we can hopefully use that money saved to go find guys that they would trust.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
Not surprised at the move. The $8.5M salary wasn't huge, but you can probably get another back-of-the-rotation arm who is just as good for less.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:10 PM Post
The interesting (and perhaps sad) question now isn’t whether Spanberger will be on the Brewers’ Top 30 list, but how high he’ll be.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:14 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
The interesting (and perhaps sad) question now isn’t whether Spanberger will be on the Brewers’ Top 30 list, but how high he’ll be.

Ha. Yes, I had that unfortunate thought cross my mind as well. A sad reality for the current state of our farm system. I would imagine that he'd at least slide into the low to mid 20's somewhere?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:21 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Think I prefer Vlad Sr.

I was expecting nothing and we got nothing. Wouldn't be surprised if Spanberger is out of baseball in two years. I'll take the extra $8.5M though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Think I prefer Vlad Sr.

I was expecting nothing and we got nothing. Wouldn't be surprised if Spanberger is out of baseball in two years. I'll take the extra $8.5M though.

This is going to be a fun thread to revisit down the road when Spanberger is putting 40 bombs into the stands for the Brewers.

Or you’re gonna be 100% right.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:31 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Way better than it used to be...I remember a time any scrub we nabbed that even sniffed prospect status was pushing Top 10.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:45 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Not surprised at the move. The $8.5M salary wasn't huge, but you can probably get another back-of-the-rotation arm who is just as good for less.

This is basically my feelings on it.

I would've leaned toward declining his option so getting an org depth player in return is about what i'd expect.

Can probably re-sign Gio and Lyles for less than $10mm combined in 2020.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 86 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply