LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 86 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers deal Chase Anderson to Blue Jays for minor league 1B Chad Spanberger

Offline  Re: Brewers deal Chase Anderson to Blue Jays!

Posted: November 04, 2019, 12:46 PM Post
For starters, i highly doubt bob nightengale has any idea what the brewers intentions were with Anderson's option. He's guessing, the brewers keep things too close to the vest for him to know that.

I feel similar to most of you. I like the idea of upgrading from anderson and re-allocating that payroll elsewhere. While on paper this pickup doesn't look great, i see a 1b that improved his defensive profile that has plus power but a very reasonable k rate. That tells me last year he either made bad contact a lot or was unlucky...or both. I guess bottom line is, i don't think this guy is simply aaa fodder... there's at least some mlb potential here

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:04 PM Post
This guy has potential. Obviously has some good pop in his bat, doesn’t strikeout at an alarming rate like so many guys do these days, and takes some walks. Maybe he was just unlucky this season or was playing hurt? Really like the move of clearing that money while getting an intriguing prospect.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
long ball said:
reillymcshane said:
Not surprised at the move. The $8.5M salary wasn't huge, but you can probably get another back-of-the-rotation arm who is just as good for less.

This is basically my feelings on it.

I would've leaned toward declining his option so getting an org depth player in return is about what i'd expect.

Can probably re-sign Gio and Lyles for less than $10mm combined in 2020.

Precisely.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:13 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
For starters, i highly doubt bob nightengale has any idea what the brewers intentions were with Anderson's option. He's guessing, the brewers keep things too close to the vest for him to know that.

@Haudricourt 6 minutes ago
Stearns said Anderson decision came down to not wanting to exercise the option but also avoiding a possible arbitration hearing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:21 PM Post
jjgott said:
KeithStone53151 said:

@Haudricourt 6 minutes ago
Stearns said Anderson decision came down to not wanting to exercise the option but also avoiding a possible arbitration hearing.

Fair enough. It takes Haudricourt or a few other media guys saying the same thing for me to buy it. I'm a bit surprised Stearns was so open with that information, that's not typical for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:30 PM Post
I'll admit, Chase was a bad fit in a juiced-ball era. Spanberger could be Eric Thames level, and he has some tie to figure it out. He did jump from full-season A to AA. It will either work or it won't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:34 PM Post
RollieTime said:
This guy has potential. Obviously has some good pop in his bat, doesn’t strikeout at an alarming rate like so many guys do these days, and takes some walks. Maybe he was just unlucky this season or was playing hurt? Really like the move of clearing that money while getting an intriguing prospect.

Pop without striking out a ton is a pretty good starting point. AA is known to be a big jump, plus the leagues are not the best for batters. This year should be a big indication as to whether he can adapt and progress up, or is likely to stagnate and be cut eventually.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:49 PM Post
I think there could be a little more to Spanberger than people are thinking. He was in the Baseball America Blue Jays top 30 lists prior to each of the last two seasons. They say he has 70 raw power, yet he hasn’t had insane K rates at any level (topped out at 24.4% in his first AA stop this year). The issue seems to be derived much more from a crazy 45% ground ball rate. If a guy with that much raw power could learn to elevate the ball a bit more there could definitely be something there.

His spray chart is also quite interesting, seems to have decent ability to hit to all fields and with some power.
Attachment:
59452260-8956-4981-9DA3-585DDA83E5CB.png
59452260-8956-4981-9DA3-585DDA83E5CB.png [ 78.13 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]

I think this is about as much as we could have hoped for in a return for Chase...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
MadScientist said:
RollieTime said:

Pop without striking out a ton is a pretty good starting point. AA is known to be a big jump, plus the leagues are not the best for batters. This year should be a big indication as to whether he can adapt and progress up, or is likely to stagnate and be cut eventually.

If anyone wants to see how difficult hitting is in AA, take a look at how Keston Hiura's numbers plummeted once he started playing at Biloxi in 2018. That .755 OPS sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:27 PM Post
Smichaelis9 said:
He was in the Baseball America Blue Jays top 30 lists prior to each of the last two seasons.

This tells me nothing.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:37 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Smichaelis9 said:
He was in the Baseball America Blue Jays top 30 lists prior to each of the last two seasons.

This tells me nothing.

Just saying it more in response to the people saying he isn’t on one now. I agree that it says next to nothing. I’d also point out that I have quite a bit of other information in the post...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:05 PM Post
Smichaelis9 said:
I think there could be a little more to Spanberger than people are thinking. He was in the Baseball America Blue Jays top 30 lists prior to each of the last two seasons. They say he has 70 raw power, yet he hasn’t had insane K rates at any level (topped out at 24.4% in his first AA stop this year). The issue seems to be derived much more from a crazy 45% ground ball rate. If a guy with that much raw power could learn to elevate the ball a bit more there could definitely be something there.

His spray chart is also quite interesting, seems to have decent ability to hit to all fields and with some power.
Attachment:
59452260-8956-4981-9DA3-585DDA83E5CB.png

I think this is about as much as we could have hoped for in a return for Chase...

That looks real pull happy to me. Looks more like he can't hit to LF to save his life.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:11 PM Post
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/ ... 7198393345

This to me, sounds like a guy that sees a lot of talent coming up behind him for 2020.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:13 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/1191449877198393345

This to me, sounds like a guy that sees a lot of talent coming up behind him for 2020.

So many ideas running through my head. I'm not going to even bring up the one I've debated so many here about in the past. Regardless, Anderson's comment is very exciting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:15 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
KeithStone53151 said:
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/1191449877198393345

So many ideas running through my head. I'm not going to even bring up the one I've debated so many here about in the past. Regardless, Anderson's comment is very exciting.

Except that Anderson was perhaps the most logical piggyback candidate of any pitcher on the roster. That's basically what they did with him all year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Except that Anderson was perhaps the most logical piggyback candidate of any pitcher on the roster. That's basically what they did with him all year.

Not necessarily the most suited for it though. This is another one that we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:29 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Not necessarily the most suited for it though. This is another one that we'll just have to wait and see.

I suppose they could have figured that if the plan is 4 innings every 4 days, they can fill those innings cheaper. Anderson was only giving them 4-5 innings every 5-6 days. Lots of intriguing arms available both internally and externally.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers deal Chase Anderson to Blue Jays for minor league 1B Chad Spanberger

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:45 PM Post
It really looks like a straight salary dump with a lottery ticket prayer included.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:48 PM Post
Sorry, but that whole piggybacking thing is put to rest. The entire staff was getting destroyed and they couldn’t even find 4 guys to get through 3 innings the first 2 months of the season before making a bunch of changes and moves to at least keep the score within 3 after 4 or 5 innings. Burnes, Peralta, Chacin, Wilkerson, Nelson, Houser, even Woodruff early on, nobody could effectively give the Brewers multiple innings without giving up multiple runs early on. The Brewers were trying to out slug everybody and it worked for a little while.

Honestly, I don’t think I commented on it after the offseason last year, but the whole piggybacking idea because we had so many great options was so far off it’s not even funny. It wasn’t guys getting lit up in the 5th or 6th inning. It was guys struggling in the first and second frequently. Which is what they all would of been doing in the piggybacking scenario anyway is pitching 3 or 4 innings. They couldn’t rely on a single pitcher outside of Woodruff after his first handful of starts and Davies to do anything. Anderson came in and helped solidify it some and then the Brewers made moves to bring in guys like Jordan Lyles because their staff was so bad.

Sorry, but that idea and thinking it would of been more effective last year has 0 merit. None at all. Nobody could pitch 3 or 4 innings effectively last year early on without getting lit up and thinking that would be different by having set piggyback tandems is just not accurate at all.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers deal Chase Anderson to Blue Jays for minor league 1B Chad Spanberger

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:52 PM Post
I'm not even expecting it much less predicting it for 2020. The options they're giving themselves are intriguing though. Just about anything could transpire when so few roster spots are locked in. If they were ever going to do what to me is inevitable, the door is wide open to it right now. And Chase's comment hints at something. It sure doesn't hint at calling up all the aces they have knocking on the door in the minors. And Stearns couldn't have told Chase Anderson the names of a bunch of starters they intend to sign. What he obviously told him was the outline of a new plan that Chase doesn't fit in. This will be fun.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 86 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply