LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers decline option on 1B Eric Thames

Offline  Re: Brewers decline option on 1B Eric Thames

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:43 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Surhoff5 said:
Grisham for Dom Smith -- 1B solved [smile]

Dominic Smith was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw this news. My bold prediction for the Brewers off-season is that Dominic Smith is the starting first baseman on Opening Day 2020.

What would the Mets want for Smith? He's a real butcher in the OF so 1B is his actual position. They have Alonso at 1B so Smith is not needed. He was once a top prospect, but now, who knows?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:50 PM Post
El Cheapo Attanasio strikes again!

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
Surprised by this, but I understand that players of his skillset are fairly cheap.

I wish Eric well. I liked the guy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:57 PM Post
There is a chance they go rebuild mode. I don't think they will, but there is that chance. We'll have to wait and see what Stearns says or does next, you would think if they'e not rebuilding Stearns would say so soon to squash that talk. This board will be an interesting place if they trade Yelich and Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
Braun has 12 starts at first base in his career and all of them came over the first 50 games in 2018. If Braun was truly a viable option at first base I suppose they would have played him there since May 25, 2018 instead of the likes of: Brad Miller, Hernan Perez, Eric Kratz, Tyler Austin, Yasmani Grandal and Jacob Nottingham.

Hard to fathom on Thames, unless they think they can get him back at a lower price.

Quote   Reply 

They aren't going to rebuild...

After the comments by Stearns it sounds like he might be seeking payroll flexibility until some dominos start to fall and we know who we may or may not be able to get. The problem with Thames (and Anderson to some extent) is once you accept that option that salary is locked in. It isn't like arbitration where you could release them if you go a different direction at that spot on the roster.

By declining the option we have freed up the money for now. The free agency market will be littered with competent offensive first basemen. So worst comes to worst we can grab someone later on if we don't want to roll with Braun/Shaw. The fact he said they could offer Thames a different deal tells me A) they are seeking the payroll flexibility right now and B) they won't be sad if Thames moves on and they have to go with someone else.

Quote   Reply 

FVBrewerFan said:
There is a chance they go rebuild mode. I don't think they will, but there is that chance. We'll have to wait and see what Stearns says or does next, you would think if they'e not rebuilding Stearns would say so soon to squash that talk. This board will be an interesting place if they trade Yelich and Hader.

Would the GM of a rebuilding team EVER come out and state that they are rebuilding or not rebuilding? I mean, avid fans would be able to figure that out, but the casual fan, which is probably 80% of ticket sales, likely would have no idea unless they traded Yelich and didn't sign anyone in the free agent market. Instead a rebuilding team would follow up its big trade-offs by signing mid-level veterans to short-term deals, which imploring their marketing arm to start pimping those guys as superstars. Call in the Miami Marlins Way.

I personally don't think a trade of Hader would signify a rebuild. Of course, it would depend on what the return is, and how close that return is to making an impact on the ML roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:04 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:

I could see and might advocate a soft rebuild. Don't see the sense in trading Yelich. A young star on a modest deal still years out from FA, that makes little sense. I think ASB 2021 you cross that bridge depending on how things are going. But that's also why I could see a soft one this year, to pool cash for a run in 2021. Lightning strikes too often to trade a controllable player like Yelich away at this juncture.

Really doubt Hader goes either but if the offer is right I'd be fine with it. I'm expecting 2020 to be a lot like 2019. How it unfolded, not how people thought it would before the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:09 PM Post
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 05857?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:12 PM Post
I have to believe this means they're going to be big players for an everyday, preferably right-handed 1b. I'd love to get Abreu from the White Sox. Abreu and Moose at the corners would be excellent.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:13 PM Post
markedman5 said:
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/1191443625990905857?s=21

This an odd post, as the 2nd most productive player on the market is a guy we just let go and could have had for a modest $7.5M. Hopefully the trade market is more robust than that list...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:20 PM Post
I wonder if Nick Castellanos could play a passable 1B? His bat would play there, and he could provide coverage at 3B and the corner OF (albeit poor coverage). He's entering his age 28 season, so he'd fit the team's window quite well. Low K rate and right-handed power. I'm not sure what kind of deal he's looking at, but I'd be all over that bat if the numbers work.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:25 PM Post
homer said:
I read a Forbes article and therefore I believe the Brewers can spend over $600 million on payroll.

This!...and what I'm failing to understand is that by that same measure the Dodgers can spend $2 billion on payroll.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:32 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I think it's kind of exciting that management has thrown us a bit of a curveball. Trying to repeat the 2019 approach in 2020 (similar roster with a couple of short-term contracts) was unlikely to work out. This move seems to suggest a more significant retooling of the roster than we expected. Hard to figure out the exact intentions until we see who they bring in.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:39 PM Post
markedman5 said:

I believe Mr. Strearns and I have different opinions on what the term "robust" means.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:49 PM Post
I personally think Moose returning is almost a foregone conclusion. How about signing Josh Donaldson to play third with Moose transitioning to first? Sign both to a 2 year deal, Donaldson to something like 2/$40 million? Would that get it done?

Last edited by RollieTime on November 04, 2019, 3:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 2:51 PM Post
Oxy said:
markedman5 said:

This an odd post, as the 2nd most productive player on the market is a guy we just let go and could have had for a modest $7.5M. Hopefully the trade market is more robust than that list...

I think Thames was a bit lucky this year and played in a very strict platoon. Thames is closer to the Moreland/Smoak/Walker tier than he is to Abreu or Kendrick. There are at least a handful of guys on that list that will have to take minor league deals with a ST invite...could bring in a couple guys to ST and have them compete with Braun/Shaw as contingency if both suck. This could also of course be posturing and he hopes to bring Thames back for $3-4 million vs $7.5 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:05 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Something's in the works. Has to be.

We say this all the time but nothing ever really is.

Yeah it's hard to come up with anything significant they've done in either of the last 2 offseasons. Just the usual bottom of the barrel scraping and mining for diamonds in the rough. The closest they've come to making as splash was trading for Yelich and signing Cain the same day in 2018 followed by signing Grandal and bringing back Moustakas in 2019. Other than those minor moves, it's hard to come up with anything significant.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:09 PM Post
Not picking up the option of Thames is the most worrisome move to me. Do we all remember trying to find a 1B after Fielder left? Ugh.. Braun should move there, but still....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:15 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
82brewcrew82 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Something's in the works. Has to be.

We say this all the time but nothing ever really is.

Yeah it's hard to come up with anything significant they've done in either of the last 2 offseasons. Just the usual bottom of the barrel scraping and mining for diamonds in the rough. The closest they've come to making as splash was trading for Yelich and signing Cain the same day in 2018 followed by signing Grandal and bringing back Moustakas in 2019. Other than those minor moves, it's hard to come up with anything significant.

Exactly, Stearns has brought in significant contributors the last three offseasons in a row. Bringing in Aguilar, Shaw, and Thames after 2016, Cain and Yelich after 2017, and Moose and Grandal after 2018. I’m expecting this offseason (with already roughly $50 million off the books) to be the same. Significant moves will happen.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply