Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers decline option on 1B Eric Thames

Offline  Re: Brewers decline option on 1B Eric Thames

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:23 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
82brewcrew82 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Something's in the works. Has to be.

We say this all the time but nothing ever really is.

Yeah it's hard to come up with anything significant they've done in either of the last 2 offseasons. Just the usual bottom of the barrel scraping and mining for diamonds in the rough. The closest they've come to making as splash was trading for Yelich and signing Cain the same day in 2018 followed by signing Grandal and bringing back Moustakas in 2019. Other than those minor moves, it's hard to come up with anything significant.

Hey! Look at the airplane buzzing your head!

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:26 PM Post
RollieTime said:
Exactly, Stearns has brought in significant contributors the last three offseasons in a row. Bringing in Aguilar, Shaw, and Thames after 2016, Cain and Yelich after 2017, and Moose and Grandal after 2018. I’m expecting this offseason (with already roughly $50 million off the books) to be the same. Significant moves will happen.

I didn't say he didn't make significant moves. I remember after Yelich/Cain everyone was saying "this is the precursor to a big pitching acquisition". It didn't happen. His moves come out of the blue. Every time this board gets excited about a move being a precursor to another move it never really materializes. I don't think this move is a precursor to any other move in particular. That was the point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:33 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
RollieTime said:
Exactly, Stearns has brought in significant contributors the last three offseasons in a row. Bringing in Aguilar, Shaw, and Thames after 2016, Cain and Yelich after 2017, and Moose and Grandal after 2018. I’m expecting this offseason (with already roughly $50 million off the books) to be the same. Significant moves will happen.

I didn't say he didn't make significant moves. I remember after Yelich/Cain everyone was saying "this is the precursor to a big pitching acquisition". It didn't happen. His moves come out of the blue. Every time this board gets excited about a move being a precursor to another move it never really materializes. I don't think this move is a precursor to any other move in particular. That was the point.

I agree. There’s a lot of different options they could do at first right now. Who knows what they are going to do, but it’s definitely exciting to speculate. It’s a fun time being a competitive team while also having a lot of financial flexibility. It’s one of those offseasons where there are a ton of different avenues they could go down and almost all of them would make sense with so many moving parts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:38 PM Post
RollieTime said:
It’s a fun time being a competitive team while also having a lot of financial flexibility.

Except the current team is not competitive, it may not even be a .500 baseball team. We have financial flexibility because half our team is gone or due for raises in arbitration if we give it to them. They really don't have a ton of flexibility after arby raises and if they were to sign Lyles/Pomeranz/Moose/Grandal. All that and you really haven't improved the team.

It is nice we could decide to redistribute that to different needs...but I don't know if it is truly what most call financial flexibility. Usually that means you have a good roster and money to spend to make it better. Most of our money will be needed to hopefully give us a similar team on paper.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:39 PM Post
RollieTime said:
82brewcrew82 said:
RollieTime said:

I agree. There’s a lot of different options they could do at first right now. Who knows what they are going to do, but it’s definitely exciting to speculate. It’s a fun time being a competitive team while also having a lot of financial flexibility. It’s one of those offseasons where there are a ton of different avenues they could go down and almost all of them would make sense with so many moving parts.

Exactly. I mean, they have a plan because a case could have easily been made to keep both Anderson and Thames and not shed that salary. They are going to at least try and make a splash an reshape this roster. Time will tell what that ends up being.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:47 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
RollieTime said:
It’s a fun time being a competitive team while also having a lot of financial flexibility.

Except the current team is not competitive, it may not even be a .500 baseball team. We have financial flexibility because half our team is gone or due for raises in arbitration if we give it to them. They really don't have a ton of flexibility after arby raises and if they were to sign Lyles/Pomeranz/Moose/Grandal. All that and you really haven't improved the team.

It is nice we could decide to redistribute that to different needs...but I don't know if it is truly what most call financial flexibility. Usually that means you have a good roster and money to spend to make it better. Most of our money will be needed to hopefully give us a similar team on paper.

I think you are combining roster flexibility with financial flexibility. They certainly have some money to spend and could free up more. Braun, Cain, Shaw and Yelich were the nucleus of the 2018 team that came within a game of the World Series. Those guys are still here (whatever your opinon of Shaw is) and Have Hiura and maybe Grisham to add to that mix. We had Arcia and Pina starting regularly on those teams. They aren't ever going to have a Dodgers level rotation. I think they can add a starter and a bullpen arm in addition to bolstering the offense in most (but not all) the places that need it. This team isn't that far off.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:57 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
There is a chance they go rebuild mode. I don't think they will, but there is that chance. We'll have to wait and see what Stearns says or does next, you would think if they'e not rebuilding Stearns would say so soon to squash that talk. This board will be an interesting place if they trade Yelich and Hader.

there is no chance that the brewers rebuild. Hader and Yelich are at the top of their positions on reasonable salaries. The brewes will find a new 1st baseman and one has to believe that Stearns thinks he can do better, because the option was reasonable IMO. The Thames signing was out of the blue when this board was trying to figure out who would be our 1st baseman. I think history repeats itself.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:01 PM Post
I was surprised by this news. Thought he'd be back to give some stability with so many other variables at other positions. Well at least now I'm a bit excited about what's gonna happen. Even if I'm a bit scared/skeptical on what it's going to be.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:04 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
82brewcrew82 said:
We say this all the time but nothing ever really is.

Yeah it's hard to come up with anything significant they've done in either of the last 2 offseasons. Just the usual bottom of the barrel scraping and mining for diamonds in the rough. The closest they've come to making as splash was trading for Yelich and signing Cain the same day in 2018 followed by signing Grandal and bringing back Moustakas in 2019. Other than those minor moves, it's hard to come up with anything significant.

Hey! Look at the airplane buzzing your head!

OSS wasn't saying he expected a big move imminently. He's just saying that these moves indicate an aggressive plan to reshape this roster. I'm sure he's aware that it may take months to play out. You're the one missing the point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:07 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
FVBrewerFan said:
There is a chance they go rebuild mode. I don't think they will, but there is that chance. We'll have to wait and see what Stearns says or does next, you would think if they'e not rebuilding Stearns would say so soon to squash that talk. This board will be an interesting place if they trade Yelich and Hader.

there is no chance that the brewers rebuild. Hader and Yelich are at the top of their positions on reasonable salaries. The brewes will find a new 1st baseman and one has to believe that Stearns thinks he can do better, because the option was reasonable IMO. The Thames signing was out of the blue when this board was trying to figure out who would be our 1st baseman. I think history repeats itself.

I really hate definitive statements, it's not you it's me. Just like there's no way they make the playoffs this year.

Having Yelich and Hader in their prime is hardly a reason to prevent them from rebuilding. They do need 24 other players. The rotation is:

Woodruff
Davies
?
?
?
?
?

Plus, they need a C,1B, 3B, and arguably a SS. Just playing devils advocate a bit here, but wouldn't take much to make a case for rebuilding. And I'll repeat, I don't thin they will either...but its not unthinkable either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:36 PM Post
all of your points are valid. my reasoning is that attanasio doesn't seem to be the type of owner that wants to prematurely throw in the towel. The last rebuild they did a year late because of this. The brewers have alot of holes, but they should have money to fill them. Probably their biggest issue is that they have few prospects to get players via trade and the brewers don't exactly have enough financial resources to go head to head with the large markets on top free agents.

Regarding the rotation, you do have suter, houser, peralta right now. I would think they add one or 2 to that mix.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
OSS wasn't saying he expected a big move imminently. He's just saying that these moves indicate an aggressive plan to reshape this roster. I'm sure he's aware that it may take months to play out. You're the one missing the point.

OSS was this:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Something's in the works. Has to be.

That would literally seem to imply that he thinks "something's in the works", like right now. Obviously they are going to adds players so yeah, in a general sense they are going to make moves "sometime". That comment doesn't need to made unless you think he was just stating the obvious.

Sheesh, but you keep doing you.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:02 PM Post
You guys are all wrong. Obviously this move was made to free up another roster spot so we can take five rule 5 players

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:50 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
They could just be pooling money to make a run at Grandal. Especially since he's going to play some 1B it sort of explains not paying for Thames.

This is what I was thinking. Braun plays his 125 or so games at 1B, Grandal plays about 35 at 1B and catches the rest. Improves OF defense by putting Grisham in LF.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:59 PM Post
The subtext I see here is more brewing unrest between the union and ownership.

Stearns is essentially betting that there'll be more bargain basement deals available at the last minute that he wants to have the cash for. The value in this far exceeds the uncertainty of how he'll fill the hole, especially for a position like 1B where there's abundant internal and external options.

Think we'll see another odd looking roster, given his tendency to min/max. Could be several weeks into ST, if not the regular season before the roster is fully set.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:04 PM Post
tomwopat said:
The subtext I see here is more brewing unrest between the union and ownership.

Stearns is essentially betting that there'll be more bargain basement deals available at the last minute that he wants to have the cash for. The value in this far exceeds the uncertainty of how he'll fill the hole, especially for a position like 1B where there's abundant internal and external options.

Think we'll see another odd looking roster, given his tendency to min/max. Could be several weeks into ST, if not the regular season before the roster is fully set.

Agreed. This much potential roster turnover inevitably means shopping in the bargain bin to fill some spots. I'm perfectly fine with that because replacing Arcia and Shaw and getting better results shouldn't be hard even at rock bottom prices.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:06 PM Post
My guess is that this is a sign of other moves this offseason. I’d guess pitching and offense. We aren’t done yet.

This may sound like inside information, but it is just a guess.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:20 PM Post
I keep seeing that there are tons of options at 1B, internally and externally.

We haven't had a real 1B since Fielder, it has been an issue since he left.

Who are the options internally that everyone is so sure of? Braun, is that even an option? Then who?

Encarnacion?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:34 PM Post
You have to believe they freed up the money for a reason. You also have to believe they didn't just free up that $$ without knowing exactly what it will take to get whoever they are targeting. My guess is, they are planning on re signing Grandal for sure(and are far enough along in discussions they know what it will take), and hopefully Moose as well. They should still have money available after that to also sign a TOR arm like a Wheeler etc. Remember, contracts are all in how they are structured.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:42 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
My guess is that this is a sign of other moves this offseason. I’d guess pitching and offense. We aren’t done yet.

This may sound like inside information, but it is just a guess.

Will you be back at 9 pm to tell us this privy information? I’m dying to know what’s happening!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply