LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 22 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Drew Pomeranz

Offline  Drew Pomeranz

Posted: November 08, 2019, 4:37 PM Post
Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that Drew Pomeranz is a "hot name in the relief market."

Passan expects Pomeranz to land "a multiyear deal at a strong AAV." Pomeranz's move to the bullpen looks like it could be a career-changer, as he posted a dominant 2.39 ERA with 45 strikeouts over 26 1/3 innings in relief.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter
Nov 8, 2019, 5:31 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Drew Pomeranz

Posted: November 08, 2019, 7:44 PM Post
Probably a higher chance that Grandal will be back. I'm sure some big market team will give Pomeranz a three year deal for 8 or 10 million a year. Can't see the Brewers everything the fray on that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2019, 9:21 PM Post
My expectation has been 3 years and $21-24 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2019, 10:13 PM Post
He may be worth that. He was pretty good for the giants once he got moved to the pen and was great for us. He isn’t that old where it’s a massive risk.

Also I think Pomeranz and moose are way more likely to be back than grandal.

Last edited by patrickgpe on November 08, 2019, 10:15 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2019, 10:13 PM Post
The way the last couple off seasons have been trending predicted numbers, IMO are way over what they will be. For instance, Pomeranz will likely get something at 5/6 per year for 2-3 years as a guy with a short track record as a reliever. Additionally, if anybody gives Bumgarner 18 per year (MLBTR prediction) they should be shot. Davies is better at this point.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 8:45 AM Post
This probably doesn't belong in this thread ... but re: Pomeranz, the guy was a game changer out of the pen. Suter can be spoken of the same way. What criteria should we be looking for with starters who are league average or worse to be brought to the pen to become extreme assets? Alt deliveries? Alt pace? Alt anything?

I feel like if I were a rebuilding club looking to stockpile young talent and assets that could be turned into young talent ... finding starters turned bullpen arms to be deadline bait would be a cheap method of strategy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 9:56 AM Post
liveforoctober said:
This probably doesn't belong in this thread ... but re: Pomeranz, the guy was a game changer out of the pen. Suter can be spoken of the same way. What criteria should we be looking for with starters who are league average or worse to be brought to the pen to become extreme assets? Alt deliveries? Alt pace? Alt anything?

I feel like if I were a rebuilding club looking to stockpile young talent and assets that could be turned into young talent ... finding starters turned bullpen arms to be deadline bait would be a cheap method of strategy.

Taking a failed starter and throwing them in the pen, only to see them morph into a shut-down reliever, certainly isn’t the norm. Typically a bad pitcher is a bad pitcher regardless of what role they are used in. Pomeranz has always been a guy with great stuff, but definitely attacked more as a reliever.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
liveforoctober said:

In the playoff game, I think the pitching plan got a little messed up with Suter only going one. I was really hoping Pomy was going to go three.

Last edited by DHonks on November 09, 2019, 12:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 11:38 AM Post
Pomeranz was incredible and I'm convinced he is an elite relief pitcher moving forward. Personally, I think a deal close to what Joe Kelly got last winter (3/$25) makes a ton of sense and I'd like the Brewers to re-sign him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
Having Pomeranz/Hader/Claudio as lefties coming out of the pen is a true weapon and I really hope they can figure it out with his agent.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 12:32 PM Post
If we bolster our pen with dominant multi-inning relievers, I feel better about not upgrading our rotation.
Woodruff, Davies, Houser, and some combo of Nelson, Wade Miley, Lyles, Gio, Peralta, Burnes, etc. I'd rather pay Pomeranz $7-8 million than Hamels, although if we had unlimited resources I'd try for both

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 1:16 PM Post
Without better starting pitching, I predict we have zero shot at the World Series.

We just HAVE to have better starting pitching, that occasionally at least, can take us through the 7th inning of a ballgame.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 4:13 PM Post
turborickey said:
Without better starting pitching, I predict we have zero shot at the World Series.

We just HAVE to have better starting pitching, that occasionally at least, can take us through the 7th inning of a ballgame.

I'd say our top 3 fit that description. Of the other options I listed, 5-6 innings would be a fine goal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Having Pomeranz/Hader/Claudio as lefties coming out of the pen is a true weapon and I really hope they can figure it out with his agent.

If they sign Pomeranz, I'd try to move Claudio. Next year starts rule where relief pitcher has to face 3 hitters or end the inning. Claudio figures to make around $2 million in arby. Between the savings of not having to pay Albers and Jeffress, and what they save by dealing Claudio, they could pay Pomeranz. Three years and $25 million? Heck the Giants are willing to pay Smith the QO of $17.8 million for one year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2019, 8:35 AM Post
3/$24mil, if that can’t get it done we should pass.

Bullpen > Rotation

No reason to put serious effort into the rotation via FA. We can’t afford major difference makers and the prices are astronomical. I think we can piece together a solid rotation without paying FA prices that the better guys command.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2019, 9:17 AM Post
MrTPlush said:

So let Pomeranz walk for 1 million? If 3 at 24 million won't get it done, but 3 at 25 million will, it would be asinine to not give him the extra million.

Last edited by turborickey on November 10, 2019, 3:45 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2019, 10:21 AM Post
turborickey said:
MrTPlush said:

So let Pomeranz walk for 1 million? If 3 at 24 million won't get it done, but 3 at 25 million will, it would be asinine to not give him the extra million.

I wasn’t directly replying to people and their 3/$25mil proposals. Obviously I’d tack on a million or two. Generally speaking drawing the line at $8mil a year. I am pretty much agreeing with those numbers...I just made a logical proposal that was a round number across the board instead of a $8.3333333333mil average.

Are you drawing the line at $25mil? Why not $28mil? Or just $31mil? That’s $2mil a year more...what can we even do with that money anyway? At some point you do have to draw a line and not just add a little more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 11, 2019, 8:33 AM Post
turborickey said:
MrTPlush said:

Well your willing to go $25M, now $26M gets the job done. Can't we just go another another $1M? [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 11, 2019, 8:37 PM Post
Roderick said:
turborickey said:
MrTPlush said:

Well your willing to go $25M, now $26M gets the job done. Can't we just go another another $1M? [wink]

that's when you hope he's signing in a higher cost of living or tax state, and hope you can convince him that take home pay is more important than gross pay

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 11, 2019, 8:54 PM Post
Drew pitched himself out of Milwaukee last year. Someone is almost certainly going to give him more money and more years than we can or should.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 22 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply