LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 116 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m

Offline  Re: Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m
Posted: December 02, 2019, 6:44 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
If there is a critique of the Brewers FO it is that they didn't lock these guys into multiple years last winter. Knowing what we know now they both could have been signed to 3-year deals. That's the downside to the lower risk 1-year contracts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 6:57 PM Post
SRB said:
Love Moose as a player, but this is a disastrous move for Cincinnati.

First of all, this is overrating him as an offensive player. He's consistently solid and gives you HR/RBI, but his overall offensive profile is basically average and not worth $64 million. Keep in mind he almost had a career year last season (second best of his career) at age 30, and most of that was in the first half. Through the second half he was middling.

Second of all, this is a huge gamble on 359 defensive innings at 2B. The Reds have Votto and Suarez locked up for at least three years, so there is absolutely nowhere to move Moose if he struggles as an everyday 2B or his defense falls off a cliff.

Really strange decision making.

360 innings last season at second and 800 at 3rd. So he hasn't even played a full season at second base yet and he was dealing with injuries last year. I'm not a scout, but he sure looked very slow turning the double play. I too have a hard time seeing this as working out for Cincy. As others have said Votto and Suarez are locked in for the same time frame or longer. Senzel is naturally an IF, and doesn't appear to be a very good CF, so I don't know why they wouldn't just move him to second and sign/trade for a CF. That would make more sense to me than signing Moose to this contract.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:06 PM Post
owbc said:
If there is a critique of the Brewers FO it is that they didn't lock these guys into multiple years last winter. Knowing what we know now they both could have been signed to 3-year deals. That's the downside to the lower risk 1-year contracts.

Grandal got a 4 year offer from the Mets last year and turned it down to bet on himself on a one year deal. The Brewers probably didn't want to commit a multi-year deal to Moustakas not knowing how he was going to handle 2nd base.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:17 PM Post
The Brewers have cleared, what? $35 million or so from last year’s payroll? It seems pretty obvious that they are going to make, or at least attempt to make, some strong moves in signing free agents this offseason.

It is reasonable to think that a full year of Hiura and a healthy Cain can help make up some of the offense that walked out the door. I’m certain there’ll be more moves coming....they aren’t going to go to the playoffs 2 years in a row and then just cut payroll by nearly 25% and call it a day on 2020

As others have said: Relax! Even an Armchair GM like me can see they need to upgrade their pitching staff, so I’m quite sure that Stearns is well aware of the strengths & weaknesses of his roster.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:25 PM Post
I would have started with 4 years, 70 million on Grandal and may have gone higher and tried to out-bid the White Sox. But Moustakas is way too great of an OBP risk to even come close to matching this offer from Cincy.

I've always been somewhat skeptical of Moustakas but no question he was a great fit in Milwaukee and, after doing a full review of this off-season, would have liked to see him back. Congratulations to him for getting a 64 million deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:27 PM Post
This thread has been as hilarious as this deal. I’m so glad we have a GM with a brain. Moose is an average ML 3B. Getting attached to a guy that forgot to show up against the Dodgers two seasons ago is a bad idea. Next!

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:29 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
This thread has been as hilarious as this deal. I’m so glad we have a GM with a brain. Moose is an average ML 3B. Getting attached to a guy that forgot to show up against the Dodgers two seasons ago is a bad idea. Next!

Yes because we should make our decisions based on one playoff series. Should we get rid of Yelich based on that series as well?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:31 PM Post
owbc said:
Brew4U said:

Yes because we should make our decisions based on one playoff series. Should we get rid of Yelich based on that series as well?

[laughing] Huh? Who said that’s why we got rid of him? The deal in itself is why he’s no longer a Brewer. Figure it out guy. He’s a Red. He’s now the enemy and will be treated as such.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:14 PM Post
I think I'd rather sign Donaldson to 2 yrs/$64M than Moose to 4 Yrs/$64M. Not that I want to sign Donaldson for that deal, but maybe something like it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:42 PM Post
Late to the discussion, was picking my jaw off the floor! Not surprised that Moose went somewhere else, but that contract is a total shocker!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:56 PM Post
owbc said:

they wouldn't have taken them. Grandal let it be known that he wanted to secure a high AAV, while it was surmised he wanted to come to Miller Park to put up a career year rather than playing 100 games between LA, SD, and SF. It he supposedly turned down 3 years and $54m last year, what would we have offered?

As for Moose, he came back for comfort, to chase a career year, and to audition his versatility. I expected him to get 3 years and $40 million. I didn't expect the 4th year at such a high AAV. Simply put, your point is invalid, as what drew them to us was the 1-year deal

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:08 AM Post
DHonks said:
owbc said:

they wouldn't have taken them. Grandal let it be known that he wanted to secure a high AAV, while it was surmised he wanted to come to Miller Park to put up a career year rather than playing 100 games between LA, SD, and SF. It he supposedly turned down 3 years and $54m last year, what would we have offered?

As for Moose, he came back for comfort, to chase a career year, and to audition his versatility. I expected him to get 3 years and $40 million. I didn't expect the 4th year at such a high AAV. Simply put, your point is invalid, as what drew them to us was the 1-year deal

I anticipated Grandal would a one year thing, but I actually thought Moose could have been brought back with a 3/36-42. Reds are going all in.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 1:43 AM Post
Reds got a steal. Brewers will miss Moose

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 6:05 AM Post
brewersfan101 said:
Reds got a steal. Brewers will miss Moose

LOL no. They paid the tip top of market value. Far from a steal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 2:59 PM Post
The emotional attachment some have to these decisions is disturbing. Plenty of time left for moves this offseason. This deal is way to risky for a team like the Brewers. Has Stearns not earned a level of trust with the fanbase? He's not perfect but if you told me when he was picked up as GM that they would have had the early success that they had I would be thrilled. Let it play out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 3:14 PM Post
Would've loved to have him back. But sorry that's just too much to pay. Good for him that he finally got his big payday. Maybe in hindsight they could've got him on like a 3 year deal before last year at say 40-45 mil. Who knows, maybe they tried to do exactly that but Moose decided to stick to the 1 year and keep this possibility open. Reds should be a really solid team next year.

Really not sure where they go from here at 1B and 3B. Thought after the Moose news that Shaw would then be back but I guess not.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 116 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply