LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 131 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m

Online  Re: Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:00 PM Post
I would say that the percentage that Moose plays out this whole contact as a member of the Reds is less than 25%. This strikes me as a kind of contract they'll be looking to offload on a team like the Dodgers by 2022 by packaging him with a high-end prospect for a bag of balls.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
IntentionalHBP said:
Did brew crew 92 get banned?

Yes.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Reds Sign Moustakas - 4 Years, $64m

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
BadgerBert said:
That is a ton of money per year... Good for Moose.

Ton on money per year, and a ton of years. I was thinking he was looking at 3 years, $36 million tops. This deal blows that out of the water.

This was what I was thinking was his ceiling - or close to it. The four year deal is a bit of a shocker.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:07 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I would say that the percentage that Moose plays out this whole contact as a member of the Reds is less than 25%. This strikes me as a kind of contract they'll be looking to offload on a team like the Dodgers by 2022 by packaging him with a high-end prospect for a bag of balls.

Moose is a really hard worker. Guys that put in the effort have a better shot at lasting longer. I think it's pretty likely that he's a very good player for at least the next 2 seasons and possibly all 4, I would be surprised if he was in that replacement level category in year 4.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:08 PM Post
I love how no one here seems to mind that the Brewers have now lost Grandal, Moose and Pomeranz this off season so far. Now there is a HUGE hole in this Brewers lineup to protect Yelich and no one seems alarmed?? How on earth are they going to replace Moose and Grandal's bats with at least equal to or better production than they gave?? No one year stop gaps. That isn't going to cut it. Sure, that's what Moose and Grandal essentially were, but they also had the chance to re sign either one(or both) and didn't.

Stearns has a crap ton of $$ at his disposal...he had better pull of something HUGE, and I mean HUGE to salvage this off season and so the crew doesn't take a step back. Watch the Brewers end up with some schlub like Todd Frazier to play third and someone like Logan Forsythe to play 1st. Like that would replace Moose and Grandal's production...yeah right. And that will do nothing to fill the catching hole either. I hope like hell DS has a plan, because as of right now, it's not looking too good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:11 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
I love how no one here seems to mind that the Brewers have now lost Grandal, Moose and Pomeranz this off season so far. Now there is a HUGE hole in this Brewers lineup to protect Yelich and no one seems alarmed?? How on earth are they going to replace Moose and Grandal's bats with at least equal to or better production than they gave?? No one year stop gaps. That isn't going to cut it. Sure, that's what Moose and Grandal essentially were, but they also had the chance to re sign either one(or both) and didn't.

Stearns has a crap ton of $$ at his disposal...he had better pull of something HUGE, and I mean HUGE to salvage this off season and so the crew doesn't take a step back. Watch the Brewers end up with some schlub like Todd Frazier to play third and someone like Logan Forsythe to play 1st. Like that would replace Moose and Grandal's production...yeah right. And that will do nothing to fill the catching hole either. I hope like hell DS has a plan, because as of right now, it's not looking too good.

It's December 2nd.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:12 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:

IT
IS
DECEMBER
2ND

I think everyone here is a little leery of how things have gone so far in the offseason. At the same time, most of us realize that this team is run by smart people who have a plan and a lot of contingencies. Go take this kind of reactionary stuff over to Twitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:14 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:

Here we go. You may want to follow one of the top 8markets in baseball. Not one in the bottom 5.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:17 PM Post
We had the same holes last year and didn't have them filled on Dec 2nd last year either

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm still kind of miffed at this move by the Reds. Did they really need Moose? I mean, they now have Eugenio Suárez locked up through 2024 (and a reasonable option for 2025), Votto through 2023, and now Moose through 2023.

A 35-year old Moustakas at 2B will be interesting to see.

Why not go less (in years and money) on Schoop or Villar or someone like that? And then redirected the savings to other areas of need.

My only thought is that the Reds could trade Eugenio Suárez - who they could get a ton for - and shift Moose over to 3B.

I guess all will be revealed in time....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:22 PM Post
ewitkows said:
We had the same holes last year and didn't have them filled on Dec 2nd last year either

Actually ... we had Shaw at 3B and Pina at C last offseason as well, and both were considered quality major leaguers. No one really expected top-end 3B and C signings last year. They came out of the blue ... and moving Moose to 2B was even more out of the blue.

This team is always thinking. I have the feeling we are going to see some pretty big ... and pretty interesting moves in the next couple months.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:31 PM Post
Brewers ownership being cheap ugh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:32 PM Post
brewersfan101 said:
Brewers ownership being smart yay

There, fixed it for you. Anyone who think that the Brewers are being cheap by deciding not to hand Mike Moustakas $64 million is probably wrong.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:33 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Brewcrewin07 said:

Here we go. You may want to follow one of the top 8markets in baseball. Not one in the bottom 5.

The Bucks are a small market...they spent a crap ton of cash in the off season...the Packers are a small market...they spent a crap ton of $$ in the off season. That's a crutch that owners of "small market" teams lean on and fans buy into sadly. You are only a "small market" if you act like a small market.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:34 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
ewitkows said:

Actually ... we had Shaw at 3B and Pina at C last offseason as well, and both were considered quality major leaguers. No one really expected top-end 3B and C signings last year. They came out of the blue ... and moving Moose to 2B was even more out of the blue.

This team is always thinking. I have the feeling we are going to see some pretty big ... and pretty interesting moves in the next couple months.

Being a Brewers fan does require patience. Stearns has managed to get players so I have no reason not to believe that won't be the case in 2020.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:34 PM Post
Brewers competing for the surplus value/fat pockets title. What baseball is all about!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:36 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Brewcrewin07 said:

The Bucks are a small market...they spent a crap ton of cash in the off season...the Packers are a small market...they spent a crap ton of $$ in the off season. That's a crutch that owners of "small market" teams lean on and fans buy into sadly. You are only a "small market" if you act like a small market.

Both the NBA and NFL have salary caps. Comparing the financial structure of MLB to them is like comparing apples to ... well ... raisins.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:38 PM Post
I'm shocked Moustakas not only got that AAV, but 4 years. Good for him. It's also fun to see that taking that one year deal to play 2nd base for the Brewers actually did help his marketability this year.

It's probably just coincidence, but it's weird to see the 3 big free agents from the Brewers sign early.

I will miss rooting for Moustakas, but I'm not overly concerned with losing his production at this price. His production isn't irreplaceable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
brooks_quichenick said:
Brewers competing for the surplus value/fat pockets title. What baseball is all about!

The Winter Meetings haven't even happened yet.

There have been like five moves of any significance so far in the entire offseason & the Brewers made one of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 4:44 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
I don't see any way they don't trade Hader now. Too many holes to fill otherwise.

Odd. It seems more likely to me. The return for Hader can plug some pretty big holes.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 131 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply