LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Arcia- 1 Year $2.2 Million

Online  Re: Brewers sign Arcia- 1 Year $2.2 Million

Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:22 PM Post
All 3 plus Claudio non tendered. Money to spend elsewhere.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:34 PM Post
Yes! Love me some Arcia.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Arcia

Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Lathund said:

You're the only one talking about committing to being $15m over budget.

Then I'm apparently the only one who understands the reverberations if they tender these guys today. I doubt I'm the only one who gets this though. Chance to get out of the deal for a fraction or not, it's $5 million each subtracted from the budget for any of those 3 if they're tendered. That's up to $15 million that won't be spent to improve the roster in other ways. You simply don't tender players with their failing in mind. If they play well in ST, you're spending that $15 million.

But noone has talked about tendering $5m to three different players except you. And I don't know how many times I have to say it; You would not be tendering them with them failing in mind. If you expected them to fail, or thought that more likely than succeeding, you wouldn't tender them. Which the Brewers did. If you thought there was a good chance they'd be worth the projected salary, you offer arbitration, expecting to spend that money. Similar to how you'd approach any 1-year deal. With the difference that you can mitigate the downside risk through the early release. You'd use it for when you want more time to asses, such as injury rehab where you can expect to know by spring training (Or sooner) if they've recovered fully or not. It's not something you'd spend a significant chunk of your budget on, and something you'd use only under certain circumstances.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:39 PM Post
Yeah and all 3 were too risky to take $5 million gambles on imo. Apparently the Brewers agreed. You simply can't use the out option as a factor because the second any of them were tendered, that's $5 million each subtracted from the budget. What part of that is so objectionable?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Arcia- 1 Year $2.2 Million

Posted: December 02, 2019, 7:40 PM Post
I am happy with this move really a no loss move.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Arcia

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:03 PM Post
Hernan Perez role, just in a different way. Arcia plays short when someone needs a day and Urias moves around. Now just need someone with the versatility to play the corner IF spots.

Arcia will be our emergency catcher, relief pitcher, outfielder, and all other infield positions?

[rolling eyes]

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Arcia

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:11 PM Post
turborickey said:
Hernan Perez role, just in a different way. Arcia plays short when someone needs a day and Urias moves around. Now just need someone with the versatility to play the corner IF spots.

Arcia will be our emergency catcher, relief pitcher, outfielder, and all other infield positions?

[rolling eyes]

I could go the other direction with a smartass reply, but instead I'll offer a response much more useful than your retort. Not many teams have someone capable of playing 8-9 positions. So the Hernan Perez role is much more likely to be filled by a more traditional utility player. Arcia can be that guy. Stearns has already commented on Urias' ability to play 2B, SS, and 3B. Since I'm expecting Urias to be an everyday player, it would make Arcia a reverse utility player just as I opined. Arcia spells Urias, and Urias can in turn spell others.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:27 PM Post
So Arcia playing one position is a good comparison to Perez, who played them all?

Ok then...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:34 PM Post
turborickey said:
So Arcia playing one position is a good comparison to Perez, who played them all?

Ok then...

Again, to stay above the level you're dragging this down to, there are other ways to have roster flexibility other than having a guy who plays every position. A good start is having your #1 utility guy being someone who has elite capability at the most important defensive position.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:39 PM Post
Hopefully he can learn the rest of the field (at least 2B/3B) and be good at them. If he is the utility guy, cool...not like we could find someone to hit in that role anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:41 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Hopefully he can learn the rest of the field (at least 2B/3B) and be good at them. If he is the utility guy, cool...not like we could find someone to hit in that role anyway.

I would be optimistic that he could. And as someone else said, if the Saladino's of the world are getting 2 mil, then why not that coin for Arcia.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:41 PM Post
turborickey said:

Ok then...

Again, to stay above the level you're dragging this down to, there are other ways to have roster flexibility other than having a guy who plays every position. A good start is having your #1 utility guy being someone who has elite capability at the most important defensive position.

again, you said that Arcia was this year's Perez, even though Arcia only plays one position, and Perez could play all 9.

Whatever, save the board from reading anymore of this argument, you may have the last word now...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 1:35 AM Post
But why

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 6:03 AM Post
brewersfan101 said:
But why

Because unlike some fans, the Brewers tend to make intelligent decisions when it comes to player movement. You don’t give up on a 25-year-old with untapped potential. Not yet. No matter how many fans hate him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 7:04 AM Post
Or the fact he only costs $2.2mil and he can just be the utility man. The Brewers may have zero realistic hope Arcia is going to break out. The reason he is staying is his price. At $4mil or more he is probably dumped like 99% of last years roster. I doubt they really have that much hope he will turn a corner at this point.

If he has an option left that would explain their willingness even more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:10 AM Post
regarding Arcia's positional flexibility - half the time he was the shortstop he was on the 2nd base side of the bag with shifts. And his arm is plenty strong enough to stick him at 3rd. A position title doesn't really matter if he's a late inning defensive replacement with all the shifting the Brewers do, anyway.

There's no doubt he could be a solid utility IF defensively if that winds up being his role...the doubt is whether his offense would ever be good enough for him to stick in that role when it also tends to require some ability at the plate as a pinch hitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
solid one year deal for both

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
Teams need a utility IF who can play solid defense at SS, and get some starts when people need rest or get hurt. Arcia fits that, and he is still young and could "find it" and be worth much more than that. If they had non-tendered him, they would have had to find a veteran utility guy who would cost just as much as Arcia, so this move makes sense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 9:24 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
brewersfan101 said:
But why

Because unlike some fans, the Brewers tend to make intelligent decisions when it comes to player movement. You don’t give up on a 25-year-old with untapped potential. Not yet. No matter how many fans hate him.

But where is this "untapped potential"? Is it based off of the one year in the minors when he was an above average hitter? As some point you just have to say after 4 years in the bigs and over 1500 PA's he is what he is. Glove is fine and the bat is crap. As long as he's super cheap I guess he's good enough to keep around.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 9:34 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
brewersfan101 said:
But why

But where is this "untapped potential"? Is it based off of the one year in the minors when he was an above average hitter? As some point you just have to say after 4 years in the bigs and over 1500 PA's he is what he is. Glove is fine and the bat is crap. As long as he's super cheap I guess he's good enough to keep around.

Orlando has three years and basically 2 months of MLB time, not four years. That untapped potential is basically that 2017 season, where as a 22-year-old Orlando put up a .277 average, 15 HRs and .731 OPS, which playing Gold Glove-level defense. If that 2017 season is Orlando's ceiling, I'd take that from my starting shortstop every day. The last two seasons have been bad. There is no denying that. But there are MLB results that can be dreamt on.

Last edited by Joey Meyer Bombs on December 04, 2019, 9:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply