LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Roster Turn Over

Online  2020 Roster Turn Over

Posted: December 02, 2019, 9:58 PM Post
I just complied the list of players that are not going to be with the team in 2020. (Those who had big roles in 2019, yes I know Nelson didn't play much of a role, but I added him too)

Until I saw it typed out, it didn't hit me as to how different this team is going to be next season.

It's astounding how many guys are gone from the 2019 squad. Have we ever had turnover like this before?

Grandal
Moustakas
Thames (has a realistic shot at being resigned)
Shaw
Saladino
Perez
Grisham

Anderson
Davies
Lyles (also could possibly be resigned)
Claudio
Nelson
Guerra
Pomeranz
Jackson

Last edited by turborickey on December 02, 2019, 9:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Roster Turn Over

Posted: December 02, 2019, 9:58 PM Post
1992 into 1993. Results were not good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
Pretty crazy (via Robert Murray) when put into this context...

Putting Brewers roster changes into perspective: 13 of 25 players that made up Oct. 1 wild-card roster are now gone. That number could increase with potential Orlando Arcia trade, losing Jordan Lyles in free agency.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:03 PM Post
Roster needed a turnover. Good stuff.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
Old players are boring.

The mystery of potential new players is much more exciting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:17 PM Post
sveumrules said:
Old players are boring.

The mystery of potential new players is much more exciting.

I would have preferred to be bored with Thames and Grandal on the roster...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:21 PM Post
Might as well blow it up. Trade hader, yeli, and Cain to rebuild. We got spoiled with a short rebuild a couple years ago. Time to fix the farm. I don’t know what sterns is doing but I trust him. It’s kinda like “let’s see what happens in a couple years”.

Last edited by Kelbysdaddy on December 02, 2019, 10:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:22 PM Post
turborickey said:
I just complied the list of players that are not going to be with the team in 2020. (Those who had big roles in 2019, yes I know Nelson didn't play much of a role, but I added him too)

Until I saw it typed out, it didn't hit me as to how different this team is going to be next season.

It's astounding how many guys are gone from the 2019 squad. Have we ever had turnover like this before?

Grandal
Moustakas
Thames (has a realistic shot at being resigned)
Shaw
Saladino
Perez
Grisham

Anderson
Davies
Lyles (also could possibly be resigned)
Claudio
Nelson
Guerra
Pomeranz
Jackson

It looks/sounds like someone is using one of these with player names on ping pong balls....

Attachments:

Large+Raffle+Ticket+Drum.jpg
Large+Raffle+Ticket+Drum.jpg [ 103.86 KiB | Viewed 1009 times ]

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Roster Turn Over

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:28 PM Post
You could pretty much list any of the players who were non-tendered today with “could possibly be resigned” as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:29 PM Post
For those saying blow it up and retool blow what up? We have two players right now that would bring significant value back Yelich and Hader and to a lesser extent Cain that’s it. That’s not going to rebuild a farm system that is ranked dead last in all of baseball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:35 PM Post
Kelbysdaddy said:
Might as well blow it up. Trade hader, yeli, and Cain to rebuild. We got spoiled with a short rebuild a couple years ago. Time to fix the farm. I don’t know what sterns is doing but I trust him. It’s kinda like “let’s see what happens in a couple years”.

I just wish we had a little time before the season started to fill out the roster...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:39 PM Post
Walleye2 said:
For those saying blow it up and retool blow what up? We have two players right now that would bring significant value back Yelich and Hader and to a lesser extent Cain that’s it. That’s not going to rebuild a farm system that is ranked dead last in all of baseball.

A (should be 2 time) mvp and the best reliever in baseball should catch enough to build a solid foundation for years to come. Realistically, you should get 2 solid rotation pieces and a couple Starting position players at least for them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:40 PM Post
Walleye2 said:

I have to disagree regarding your assessment. I doubt Cain brings back much of anything.
Both Woodruff & Huira would be bring back a lot of talent & much more than Cain would.

That said - I am not arguing for a tear down & rebuild.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:45 PM Post
People are talking about "blowing up" the team because we let Shaw and Guerra go?? [rolling eyes]

We made the playoffs last season and still have the True MVP in his prime. The only player non-tendered who even had positive fWAR last season was Guerra at a whopping +0.3 fWAR. We are better off just by slotting in replacement level players!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
Man, it's like the Red Wedding.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:52 PM Post
We still have Brent Suter on the roster.

Everything will be just fine...

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:54 PM Post
Walleye2 said:

A (should be 2 time) mvp and the best reliever in baseball should catch enough to build a solid foundation for years to come. Realistically, you should get 2 solid rotation pieces and a couple Starting position players at least for them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:55 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Walleye2 said:

I have to disagree regarding your assessment. I doubt Cain brings back much of anything.
Both Woodruff & Huira would be bring back a lot of talent & much more than Cain would.

That said - I am not arguing for a tear down & rebuild.

I would say both Hiura and Woodruff return would at least be tried by other owners to diminish it somewhat. Hiura for his defense and Woodruff prove it again. That the return on value would not be wroth trading them this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:00 PM Post
I think the loss of Grandal and Moose, and now the talk of Hader being available, are driving the full tear-down conversations, and not losing players like Shaw and Guerra.

I am nervous about the future though. I’d be extremely shocked if we will be able to retain Yelich beyond his current contract. That gives us three more years of Yelich, and I feel like our best bet to win a World Series is while he is still with us. That means Stearns needs to assemble a World Series-caliber team within the next three years. There is a lot of activity already this off-season, especially with players that made the Brewers successful last year (Grandal, Moose, and Pomeranz). It’s hard to imagine that Stearns will be able to replace their contributions and still address the other holes we have this offseason. If 2020 is a step back, then there are only two more years with Yelich, and so on. This is what gets me very nervous, and what makes 2019 so disappointing as I felt we were only a few pieces away from having a World Series-caliber team after the 2018 season, and the decisions that were made did not address those needs in 2019.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:18 PM Post
My take is that if anyone has any confidence at all in Stearns then instead of being worried we should be really excited for the moves to come. This is a blank canvas, I'm not seeing the downside.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply