LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Roster Turn Over

Offline  Re: 2020 Roster Turn Over

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:25 AM Post
Eye Black said:
jonescm128 said:
3and2Fastball said:
I find it perplexing that anyone would look at the moves so far and surmise that we are rebuilding.

It seems clear that they are freeing up payroll space in order to sign a free agent 3B & free agent Pitchers and/or trade for expensive players...

I have been thinking of this as well. What players out there would be potential targets in trades where we would take on a large salary? I have seen Mookie Betts and Francisco Lindor being thrown around in rumors. Any others?

A few that come to mind that shouldn’t cost much in terms of trade value if a team were willing to take on their remaining contracts...

Corey Kluber (1 year at $17.5 million with a team option for $18 million in 2021 or a $1 million buyout)
Jean Segura (4 years and $45.5 million)
Kyle Seager (3 years and $54 million)

Segura is owed $45.5 for the next 3 years. The fourth year would be $17M with the $1M buyout. $15M is a lot to pay for a 2B/SS that nobody seems to want. Kluber would be worth the risk if Clev. didn't want much in return. No on Seager. Too much for too little production.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:29 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
If we took on Wil Myers and his contract to play 1B for us, we could probably make Padres add in a couple of blue chip prospects as well.

Interesting idea for us to re-stock the farm.

I don't think Stearns would have any interest in Myers because of the price. $68.5M over the next three years. He could spend that money on pitching and the Brewers would be much better for it.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Roster Turn Over

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:34 AM Post
I wanted them to nab Kyle Seager even before his 2019 rebound. Sign me up! Very underrated player, though he is already 32.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:37 AM Post
I not moving Josh for that package.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:43 AM Post
brewmann04 said:
I not moving Josh for that package.

What package?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
Segura is owed $45.5 for the next 3 years. The fourth year would be $17M with the $1M buyout. $15M is a lot to pay for a 2B/SS that nobody seems to want. Kluber would be worth the risk if Clev. didn't want much in return. No on Seager. Too much for too little production.

Good catch, thanks for the correction.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
5m
Brewers have gotten strong trade interest in Keston Hiura, according to sources. A deal has been described as highly unlikely, with one team in contact with the Brewers saying it would take a “____ ton” to facilitate a trade.

Uh yeah, no kidding. I'm glad Stearns is willing to discuss anyone, though. If someone makes a godfather offer for one of the Brewers' assets, you consider it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
5m
Brewers have gotten strong trade interest in Keston Hiura, according to sources. A deal has been described as highly unlikely, with one team in contact with the Brewers saying it would take a “____ ton” to facilitate a trade.

Uh yeah, no kidding. I'm glad Stearns is willing to discuss anyone, though. If someone makes a godfather offer for one of the Brewers' assets, you consider it.

While true, I can't imagine listening on everyone is a good way to do business, at least publicly.

Are free agents going to want to join a club knowing they will always be shopped?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
bloena12 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
5m

While true, I can't imagine listening on everyone is a good way to do business, at least publicly.

Are free agents going to want to join a club knowing they will always be shopped?

This is pretty typical, all teams do this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:21 AM Post
bloena12 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
5m

It's all guaranteed money, 99% of players could not care less where they play, its the money that matters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
bloena12 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
5m

It's all guaranteed money, 99% of players could not care less where they play, its the money that matters.

True. Also an important distinction: taking calls does not equal shopping, as I previously mentioned.

Big difference, but it still remains interesting to me that Stearns would consider trading his younger core.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:30 AM Post
bloena12 said:
True. Also an important distinction: taking calls does not equal shopping, as I previously mentioned.

Big difference, but it still remains interesting to me that Stearns would consider trading his younger core.

Everyone is available for the right price. I doubt that there is any player in MLB that isn't available in some way, shape or form ... other than those few players out there with full no-trade protection.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:34 AM Post
Hiura is a one position pony that is a major hack in the field. It isn't exactly surprising they might consider trading him for something else...but per usual it would be incredibly difficult for such a trade to materialize. You would probably need a comparable young offensive star that may still be in the minors plus some pieces for the added risk we take on as Hiura's offense is a bit more obvious. I doubt he would trade him for an elite young pitcher just because of how fickle pitchers are and it seems Stearns isn't much of a guy to pour investments into pitching.

I can't fathom such a trade in my mind that I would take. Hiura may be an elite bat right now...how do we do better than that in a trade that another team is willing to give up?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:46 AM Post
Personally I am pretty happy with the offseason so far. Stearns took an objective look at his roster and farm and decided to clean house. I am excited to see how he re comps the roster over the next 3 months. Seems to me he is trying to stay ahead of the MLB curve. Everyone is paying for OBP, HR and K's. So let's go out and try to morph our team a bit away from that model. I think we will end up younger, less expensive, more athletic, with a longer winder and more upside after this is all said and done. I am excited to see Stearns work this offseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:49 AM Post
I need to just limit myself to brewerfan.net for Brewers takes. Too many idiots on Twitter I cannot take it anymore.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
jonescm128 said:
I need to just limit myself to brewerfan.net for Brewers takes. Too many idiots on Twitter I cannot take it anymore.

It took you this long?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
With a potential core of Woodruff, Hader, Yelich, Urias, and Hiura supplemented by Cain, Houser, Suter, Knebel, Pina, and Braun, the Brewers are in good shape in one sense.

Braun comes off the books after 2020. The only "albatross" deal is Cain's, and he is still a Gold Glove CF. You can do worse in the 8 spot.

In one sense, the biggest long-term question mark is Christian Yelich, and it's the "extend or trade" question.

Dealing Hader might look like a step back, but if a Hader-Lutz-Garcia (a SS prospect) package brought in McNeil-Davis-Smith (BaseballTradeValues.com calls it a "minor overpay" for the Mets)...
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-17226/

You now have a lineup looking like this:
ss: Urias
2b: Hiura
rf: Yelich
3b: McNeil
lf: Braun/Smith
1b: Davis/Smith
c: Pina
cf: Cain

With five assets under control for five years, the Brewers can make a big run, then retool/rebuild.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:16 AM Post
Who spiked Wisconsin's drinking water with all this Mets Kool-Aid? We have to add prospects to Hader for that weak package of Mets nobodies and Casey McNeil McGehee 2.0 (non-prospect who had a hot 600 PA)?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:21 AM Post
clancyphile said:
The only "albatross" deal is Cain's, and he is still a Gold Glove CF. You can do worse in the 8 spot.

8 spot? True, but he is currently our lead-off. (or was anyway)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:25 AM Post
Cain was visibly injured all through 2019 and still put up a passable season. He was an MVP candidate in 2018.

I'd wait to see what he does this year before declaring him an albatross.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply