LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Roster Turn Over

Offline  Re: 2020 Roster Turn Over

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:29 AM Post
SRB said:
Who spiked Wisconsin's drinking water with all this Mets Kool-Aid? We have to add prospects to Hader for that weak package of Mets nobodies and Casey McNeil McGehee 2.0 (non-prospect who had a hot 600 PA)?

Seriously. If Hader is going to the Mets, they can start with Syndergaard and even that I am not convinced on. Hader + for Syndergaard and Dom Smith....maybe. Hader for multiple utility men like Davis and McNeil and a 1B in Smith. Pound sand New York.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:38 AM Post
Following up on the Mets though, it does make sense that the Brewers would be looking to fill the 1B and 3B holes in a trade of Hader. I just wouldn't target McNeil-Davis-Smith as the ones to fill those holes.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Roster Turn Over

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:47 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
SRB said:
Who spiked Wisconsin's drinking water with all this Mets Kool-Aid? We have to add prospects to Hader for that weak package of Mets nobodies and Casey McNeil McGehee 2.0 (non-prospect who had a hot 600 PA)?

Seriously. If Hader is going to the Mets, they can start with Syndergaard and even that I am not convinced on. Hader + for Syndergaard and Dom Smith....maybe. Hader for multiple utility men like Davis and McNeil and a 1B in Smith. Pound sand New York.

Jeff McNeil followed up a rookie season in which he put up an OPS of .852, with a .916 last year, along with an All Star appearance. Casey McGehee never approached that. He's also a lefty hitter with emerging power that would be a perfect fit for Miller Park. In my opinion, you probably couldn't find a better trade candidate. I certainly wouldn't do McNeil straight up for Hader, but he'd be a prime piece coming back in any deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
turborickey said:
clancyphile said:
The only "albatross" deal is Cain's, and he is still a Gold Glove CF. You can do worse in the 8 spot.

8 spot? True, but he is currently our lead-off. (or was anyway)

Urias will likely take that spot.

As it stands, Cain's injury-prone 2019 where he still is Gold Glove-caliber in the field may be the norm, and it's not bad, except for the fact that the Brewers pay an AAV of $16 million for it through 2022.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:01 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
SRB said:

Jeff McNeil followed up a rookie season in which he put up an OPS of .852, with a .916 last year, along with an All Star appearance. Casey McGehee never approached that. He's also a lefty hitter with emerging power that would be a perfect fit for Miller Park. In my opinion, you probably couldn't find a better trade candidate. I certainly wouldn't do McNeil straight up for Hader, but he'd be a prime piece coming back in any deal.

Bring in McNeil plus more and then turn around and trade Hiura for a haul. Woah...totally in a wild MLB: The Show world, but it could actually work out for the Brewers. It is funny because McNeil is the kind of player people on here constantly beg for us to find. Takes walks, premium position, barely strikes out, power...great player. Maybe the track record isn't there prior to the last few year, but he looks legit.

I bet the Mets are the team to hang up the phone faster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:28 PM Post
if David add position players with a Josh trade then he better get a top starter in FA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:31 PM Post
I don't think we are getting McNeil for Hader. I would love it and as dumb as the Met's GM appears to be, I don't see it.

With the rumors today they are looking to dump salary. If we can get Dom Smith and take on Jed Lowrie's contract for the trouble I would be all for it. Prospect return should be very minimal for eating the salary. Lowrie is owed 13 million for next year, but it's only for a year and he can still be a useful player. Then we lock in our 1B of the future for 5 years. Basically trading Shaw, Saladino, Claudio, Nelson, Guerra for Dom Smith, Lowrie, 2.5 million and 4 roster spots to spend on fliers... I am ok with that trade off..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
Luke99 said:
I don't think we are getting McNeil for Hader. I would love it and as dumb as the Met's GM appears to be, I don't see it.

With the rumors today they are looking to dump salary. If we can get Dom Smith and take on Jed Lowrie's contract for the trouble I would be all for it. Prospect return should be very minimal for eating the salary. Lowrie is owed 13 million for next year, but it's only for a year and he can still be a useful player. Then we lock in our 1B of the future for 5 years. Basically trading Shaw, Saladino, Claudio, Nelson, Guerra for Dom Smith, Lowrie, 2.5 million and 4 roster spots to spend on fliers... I am ok with that trade off..

Something like this is probably the more logical deal with the Mets....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:57 PM Post
Not sure why MLBTR is suggesting that getting a taker for Lowrie would require adding quality prospects like Smith.

I would take Lowrie straightup, depending on what the medical reports say. One year deal with the upside of a 5.0 fWAR player, who can also be our everyday 3B?

He's only making like double what tendering Travis Shaw would have cost

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Put it this way: McNeil could see a Yelich-style jump in his power stats. Smith might also benefit. Davis becomes a right-handed bat to slot between Yelich and McNeil. They all had an OPS+ of 134 or better. For Hader and Lutz... a good return.

A 1-6 of Urias, Hiura, Yelich, Davis, McNeil, and Braun is not bad.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 1:08 PM Post
clancyphile said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Put it this way: McNeil could see a Yelich-style jump in his power stats. Smith might also benefit. Davis becomes a right-handed bat to slot between Yelich and McNeil. They all had an OPS+ of 134 or better. For Hader and Lutz... a good return.

That 1-6 don’t look too shabby. I’m reality Pina/Nottingham isn’t that bad of an option in 7/8 spot.

What would it take to get Diaz? Had a rough year and could maybe use a change of scenery. Not sure what he will get paid this year either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 2:52 PM Post
I don't understand why everyone assumes Urias will be on the opening day roster, let alone the lead-off hitter. Cain will be the lead-off hitter on opening day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 3:21 PM Post
I think what concerns some Brewer fans is not that we have not made a ton of moves by The 1st of December or that a majority of the team is set , but the amount of holes to fill on this team , not only the need for pitching upgrades ,leftover from last season but also all the new ones that opened with the exodus of key everyday players that help lead us to the playoffs last year.For two years We got a taste of playoff baseball and we like it, is it realistic to expect or hope for every year in a small market? probably not but we as fans still want it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 3:30 PM Post
clancyphile said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I'm afraid you are vastly over-rating Mr. Jeff McNeil. Especially his power potential...He only had 28 HR in over 1600 minor league at bats and he will be 28 years old already in 2020.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 3:33 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
clancyphile said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I'm afraid you are vastly over-rating Mr. Jeff McNeil. Especially his power potential...He only had 28 HR in over 1600 minor league at bats and he will be 28 years old already in 2020.

Or perhaps you are underrating him based on him minors numbers? I mean, the guy has an excellent 1 1/2 seasons of MLB time so far. And who cares that he's going to be 28? It's all about cheap control, and he has a lot of it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 4:25 PM Post
Say the Brewers sign Wade Miley and Jordan Lyles to fill out the rotation with Woodruff, Houser and Lauer. Would you be *content* going into 2020 with that as your 1-5?

*Content given the likelihood of the Brewers being priced out of Strasburg, Cole, Bumgarner, Wheeler*

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 4:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
Walleye2 said:
I think what concerns some Brewer fans is not that we have not made a ton of moves by The 1st of December or that a majority of the team is set , but the amount of holes to fill on this team , not only the need for pitching upgrades ,leftover from last season but also all the new ones that opened with the exodus of key everyday players that help lead us to the playoffs last year.For two years We got a taste of playoff baseball and we like it, is it realistic to expect or hope for every year in a small market? probably not but we as fans still want it.

Some of the players lost will hurt, but most of the players lost were getting expensive and didn't provide much value above simply putting a "replacement level" guy out there for league minimum.

Aguilar -0.3 WAR
Arcia -0.1 WAR (still on team, but could be relegated to utility "utility guy")
Austin 0.1 WAR
Perez -0.1 WAR
Saladino -0.5 WAR
Shaw -0.9 WAR
Thames 1.6 WAR (I'm surprised we let him go)

Albers -0.2 WAR
Anderson 1.8 WAR (like Thames, moved for salary reasons)
Claudio 0.6 WAR (new rule makes him less valuable)
Guerra 1.3 WAR
Jeffress -0.4 WAR
Nelson -0.5 WAR

Grisham 0.7 WAR & Davies 2.6 WAR were traded, so we got value back for them. The ones that hurt the most are Mous, Grandal & Pomeranz. These guys were all free agents, so we didn't have any claim over them. They signed big deals elsewhere.

We have a lot of money (at least for by Brewer standards) to fill some holes with quality. I'm excited to see who we bring in. As shown above, many of the holes were created by dropping someone with negative "WAR value" last year so simply getting a positive-value guy there would be an upgrade. Really, they were bigger "holes" when we had a negative WAR guy making seven figures at the position. Cutting that guy and replacing him with a league-minimum zero WAR guy improves production and saves money to upgrade elsewhere.

Our current depth chart has Braun starting at LF and 1B, and has Suter and Burnes as both starters and relievers. I guarantee those things won't happen. Stearns will make a lot of moves between now and Spring Training. Attanasio is going to want a team with realistic playoff chances.

Enjoy this, it's fun.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 4:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
A Swing and A Drive said:

There are 183 players with at least 800 PAs in MLB between 2018-19.

Of those 183 players McNeil ranks 13th in wRC+ (141) & 10th in K% (12.1).

Even without plus power in the minors McNeil still ran about a 135 wRC+ while striking out a paltry 11.2% of the time. The guy can flat out hit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 4:38 PM Post
Say the Brewers sign Wade Miley and Jordan Lyles to fill out the rotation with Woodruff, Houser and Lauer. Would you be *content* going into 2020 with that as your 1-5?

*Content given the likelihood of the Brewers being priced out of Strasburg, Cole, Bumgarner, Wheeler*

That all depends on what their offensive line-up looks like. I'm inclined to say no though...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 4:42 PM Post
I laughed way too hard at this. How can anybody take this guy seriously with the line "incumbent shortstop Orlando Arcia is currently penciled in as the starting third baseman"? Does this guy know anything at all about baseball?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why- ... ge-course/

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply