LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread

Author Message
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#21

Posted: December 19, 2019, 7:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1915
The competition will light a fire under Arcia and he'll start raking and force them to play him a lot at SS. Then Urias will be mashing at 3B.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#22

Posted: December 19, 2019, 10:24 PM Post
Posts: 2866
Narvaez Pina
Smoak Braun
Hiura Sogard
Urias Arcia
XXX Sogard
Yelich Garcia Cain Braun Gamel/Broxton

Is a strong group. I'm extremely excited about the upside of Urias and I can't believe we got him for a corner OF. Another solid addition at 3b will cap off a very good offense. The thing I like most about it is that I can't find a lot of bad ABs in that group. This group could wear arms out. Every single batter (save Arica) keeps Ks in check and takes their walks. It just looks like a very disciplined group.

Stashing Healy, Nottingham, Broxton/Gamel, Taylor and Matthias in AAA is a really good spread of emergency options.

Woodruff Anderson Houser Linblom
Knebel Hader Peralta Suter Black
Leaves me wanting 2 SPs and 2 RPs but the makings are there for a very solid staff. DS being tight with his values has left money to keep adding.

If MKE can start Lauer Burnes Supak Brown Jankins in AAA they are very very deep.
The AAA pen is a heck of a list. Claudio Feyeriesen Perdomo Wahl Williams Yardley Barker QTC

There will be options for the MLB shuttle in that group.

This team is getting insanely deep.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#23

Posted: December 19, 2019, 10:41 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1605
I will be unabashed optimistic when the Brewers sign Ryu.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#24

Posted: December 20, 2019, 5:22 AM Post
Posts: 753
TJseven7 said:
Narvaez Pina
Smoak Braun
Hiura Sogard
Urias Arcia
XXX Sogard
Yelich Garcia Cain Braun Gamel/Broxton

Is a strong group. I'm extremely excited about the upside of Urias and I can't believe we got him for a corner OF. Another solid addition at 3b will cap off a very good offense. The thing I like most about it is that I can't find a lot of bad ABs in that group. This group could wear arms out. Every single batter (save Arica) keeps Ks in check and takes their walks. It just looks like a very disciplined group.

Stashing Healy, Nottingham, Broxton/Gamel, Taylor and Matthias in AAA is a really good spread of emergency options.

Woodruff Anderson Houser Linblom
Knebel Hader Peralta Suter Black
Leaves me wanting 2 SPs and 2 RPs but the makings are there for a very solid staff. DS being tight with his values has left money to keep adding.

If MKE can start Lauer Burnes Supak Brown Jankins in AAA they are very very deep.
The AAA pen is a heck of a list. Claudio Feyeriesen Perdomo Wahl Williams Yardley Barker QTC

IMO Stearns got Lauer to start in the big leagues and Claudio will definitely be in the big leagues. The Crew is deep in spots, but not where they need it. At 3B and SP. None of the guys at AAA are anybody to get excited about. Burnes could be, but after the horrendous year he had last year, he needs to prove a lot.

There will be options for the MLB shuttle in that group.

This team is getting insanely deep.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#25

Posted: December 20, 2019, 6:27 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11236
I think the team still needs depth at 3B even if it is another part time type guy and they need a more solid SP and maybe one more bullpen arm. What Stearns has done overall this offseason is great. A lot of people are going to think this was a bad offseason because these aren't big names but every single guy he signed has put up league average or better production at times over the past 3 years. If even half of them move back to that production this is a huge win of an offseason, if they mostly play to their 3 year averages it is a modest win. There is a lot of depth here and I don't expect a lot of PA from replacement level players which is what really hurt the team last year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#26

Posted: December 20, 2019, 1:58 PM Post
Posts: 78
Last year the Brewers gave Perez/Shaw/Aggy 778 PA. In those PA they amassed a 203/287/629 slash line.

Last year Sogard/Smoak combined for 248/347/779 slash line in 942 PA. For roughly 2M more, we are vastly improving those 778 PA between 1B/UTL with those 2 signings.

Grandal 246/380/848
Narvaez 278/353/813

Offensive production takes a small hit while saving roughly 15M.

Urias was 1bWAR better than Arcia in less than half of the games played.

Those are 3 offensive improvements made without breaking the bank.


3B is still up in the air, but I am optimistic that they will address the position before March.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#27

Posted: December 20, 2019, 4:29 PM Post
Posts: 1242
162-0 baby!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#28

Posted: December 20, 2019, 7:45 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7033
They still have Christian Yelich, so that’s reason enough for remaining optimistic.


——————————

According to Adam McCalvy...

Asked about the Brewers' flurry of short-term deals, David Stearns said once it was clear the Grandal & Moustakas markets would be "robust," Milwaukee's strategy shifted to "incrementally upgrade around our roster to complement what we believe is a very strong Major League core."

Stearns, continued: "We think that the moves we’ve made over the last 10 days or so – and it has been a flurry – are making progress toward accomplishing that goal."

It seems they have accomplished the incremental upgrades in some areas, but also may have less impact hitters. Strictly using 2019 Baseball Prospectus’ DRC+ stat, below are the core/returning players, outgoing players, and incoming players. There were a total of 610 position players listed in the 2019 DRC+ rankings.

Core / Returning
Yelich — 167 DRC+ (Rank: 2nd overall behind only Mike Trout)
Hiura — 115 DRC+ (Tied for 84th)
Braun — 111 DRC+ (Tied for 104th)
Piña — 90 DRC+
Cain — 87 DRC+
Gamel — 82 DRC+
Arcia — 74 DRC+

Outgoing
Grandal — 124 DRC+ (Rank: Tied for 46th)
Moustakas — 118 DRC+ (Tied for 71st)
Thames — 112 DRC+ (Tied for 98th)
Aguilar — 97 DRC+
Grisham — 90 DRC+
Shaw — 71 DRC+
Perez — 69 DRC+
Saladino — 60 DRC+

Incoming
Narvaez — 123 DRC+ (Rank: Tied for 49th)
Smoak — 111 DRC+ (Tied for 104th)
Sogard — 110 DRC+ (Tied for 110th)
Garcia — 103 DRC+ (Tied for 153rd)
Healy — 95 DRC+
Urias — 83 DRC+


I would really like to see them find a way to add one more hitter than can be expected to finish in the top 100 most valuable hitters in terms of deserved runs created. Popularly speculated 3B target Kyle Seager finished with a 113 DRC+ last season which was tied for 92nd overall among all hitters.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#29

Posted: December 20, 2019, 8:05 PM Post
Posts: 2866
are making progress toward accomplishing that goal.


Not done yet, optimism.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#30

Posted: December 20, 2019, 8:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3632
stalton said:
162-0 baby!


Hey, I didn't want to be the one to say it! [smile]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#31

Posted: December 21, 2019, 4:09 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1487
I generally like, or can at least understand, what they’ve done so far. What I don’t get, is what their plan is for 3B, since we’re not signing Donaldson or trading for Arrenado. Are there some other options out there I’m not thinking of?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#32

Posted: December 21, 2019, 5:01 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11279
MillerParkSouth said:
I generally like, or can at least understand, what they’ve done so far. What I don’t get, is what their plan is for 3B, since we’re not signing Donaldson or trading for Arrenado. Are there some other options out there I’m not thinking of?


My guess is that DS is going to run a sneak attack, and our new 3B is someone who no one else has even thought about yet...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#33

Posted: December 21, 2019, 5:11 PM Post
Posts: 20581
I would love to get Brian Anderson from the Marlins, but I doubt they have any real reason to deal him. It would take a Yelich type return and we don't have that kind of farm anymore.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#34

Posted: January 06, 2020, 11:18 AM Post
Posts: 5600
Location: New Berlin, WI
Is anyone seeing what Freddy is doing in winter ball? He's incredibly impressive, not just his numbers but the stuff I'm seeing. I'm fairly confident I've seen highlights of both a changeup and a slider to go with his curve and fastball. I hope he gets shut down sooner than later to prep for 2020. The idea of him and Burnes forcing their way into the top of the rotation with Woodruff would be a serious game changer. Between the 2, I would find it weird if at least one of them didn't find another gear in 2020...but since this is the optimism thread I'm going with a playoff rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Stroman/Ray.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#35

Posted: January 06, 2020, 11:30 AM Post
Posts: 5071
KeithStone53151 said:
Is anyone seeing what Freddy is doing in winter ball? He's incredibly impressive, not just his numbers but the stuff I'm seeing. I'm fairly confident I've seen highlights of both a changeup and a slider to go with his curve and fastball. I hope he gets shut down sooner than later to prep for 2020. The idea of him and Burnes forcing their way into the top of the rotation with Woodruff would be a serious game changer. Between the 2, I would find it weird if at least one of them didn't find another gear in 2020...but since this is the optimism thread I'm going with a playoff rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Stroman/Ray.


Woodruff, Houser, Burnes, Peralta, Lauer

All five already on the 40-man.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#36

Posted: January 06, 2020, 11:42 AM Post
Posts: 765
Hiura will be better defensively than he was in 2019. Full offseason with no restrictions on his arm. Hiura 2020 2nd base all star!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#37

Posted: January 06, 2020, 3:34 PM Post
Posts: 5600
Location: New Berlin, WI
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Hiura will be better defensively than he was in 2019. Full offseason with no restrictions on his arm. Hiura 2020 2nd base all star!


Way to throw in that last tidbit to justify placement in the optimism thread. Simply saying he'll be better defensively in 2020 is a reasonable and likely assumption.

One note on Hiura. I was fiddling around with batted ball data on him. Last season Hiura hit roughly 30% to left, 30% to right, and 40% to CF with an over 40% hard hit rate. If anyone was ever going to maintain an off the charts BABIP, it's a guy hitting the ball like that. I almost wonder if he'd be slightly better off pulling the ball a bit more to get to his power more, at the same time he hit so many bombs to right-center...why pull the ball when you can hit with power to all fields...I'm dreaming of a Yelich-Hiura over 1000 OPS each back to back in the lineup.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#38

Posted: January 06, 2020, 6:30 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3632
KeithStone53151 said:
since this is the optimism thread I'm going with a playoff rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Stroman/Ray.


1. Corbin Burnes
2. Drew Rasmussen
3. Brandon Woodruff
4. Freddy Peralta


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#39

Posted: January 11, 2020, 8:27 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 14183
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I am moving the amount of moves being made to secure depth at positions in question. The more darts thrown the better. I also think we are in a peak sherzie time with all the roster re-tooling Stearns does every year. We are going to look back on some classics a few years from now.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Brewers Roster Unabashed Optimism Thread
#40

Posted: January 12, 2020, 1:58 PM Post
Posts: 1242
Cubs are too broke to afford Sogard, Cards are rumored to really hamstring themselves. Pirates and Reds are, well, the Pirates and Reds. Whats not to get excited about this season?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gebc1997 and 14 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test