LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 115 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2020 Misc MLB News

Posted: January 20, 2020, 4:11 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Dusty Baker interviewing with the Astros for their vacant Manager position

Oh, Yes, Please!... That's exactly what the Astro's deserve...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 4:22 PM Post
Eye Black said:
It appears that Dan Plesac is going to be working in some manner for the Cubs new Regional Sports Network, the Marquee Sports Network. Not sure if he will also continue working in some capacity on MLB Network? Either way I don’t think he’ll be filling in as spot duty for Rock anytime soon. Looks like he was also scheduled to make an appearance at the Cubs Convention today.

Looking at the talent they hired is weird. It’s like they took the B lineup from MLB Network.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Misc MLB News

Posted: January 20, 2020, 5:23 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:
Carlos Gomez looks like he's retiring.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/carlos-gomez-will-reportedly-retire.html

Sounds like he wants to retire a Brewer.

He will always be one of my favorite Brewers players ever, such a special talent and personality. He was one of the only bright parts in those rebuilding years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 7:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Zad Fnark said:

He will always be one of my favorite Brewers players ever, such a special talent and personality. He was one of the only bright parts in those rebuilding years.

Agreed. Those 2013/14 seasons rank 9th & 22nd by fWAR in franchise history among 580 qualified individual seasons. That he begat Hader, Houser, Domingo & Maverick is a nice bonus too.

If you consider Yount as a SS, Carlos is probably the best CF in franchise history. Even if you don't, Gomez put up around 77% of Robin's CF bWAR in only about 51% of the plate appearances...

Yount CF | 1185 G | 5101 PA | 117 OPS+ | +20 BSR | -66 FLD | 24.9 WAR
Gomez | 697 G | 2576 PA | 110 OPS+ | +5 BSR | +57 FLD | 19.1 WAR

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 8:45 PM Post
If the Reds get him, you can't, under any circumstance, tell me that the Reds are a crappy team, and that they won't be in the mix for the Central title. Hell, I believe even without him, they just might finish top 2 in the division...

*sigh*

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Reds are still a player for free agent outfielder Nicholas Castellanos.

Heyman also reports that the Rangers remain interested in Castellanos, among other teams. Cincinnati was also one of the teams interested in acquiring Marcell Ozuna, who signed with the Braves earlier in the week. The Reds do have talented young corner outfielders like Jesse Winker and Aristides Aquino, but Castellanos would appear to provide more safety than those options. He hit .289/.357/.525 with 27 homers for the Tigers and Cubs last year, and he'd likely put up similar numbers playing in the friendly confines of Great American Ball Park.

Related: Texas Rangers, Cincinnati Reds
Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Jan 22, 2020, 8:30 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 8:54 PM Post
turborickey said:
If the Reds get him, you can't, under any circumstance, tell me that the Reds are a crappy team, and that they won't be in the mix for the Central title.

I can. They haven't proven anything other than spending a bunch of money on a bunch of names. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a team made a big free agent splash and ended up not living up to expectations. Heck, we only have to go back one year and look at the Phillies.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 12:07 AM Post
I cannot for the life of me understand the big deal with Castellanos. He's a defensive butcher whose only value is in his bat.

Unless you really think what he did for the Cubs for two months is the sign of a genuine breakout he's basically Domingo Santana for his career with somewhat less Ks and the ability to play multiple positions badly instead of just one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 6:31 AM Post
Nobody has said the Reds can't be a good team, they just aren't assuming it is going to happen just because they sign a mix of free agents. They still almost all played better than expectations last year and still only managed 75 wins. Even if they improve by 10 wins they aren't even competing yet, they have to improve by 15-20 wins. It is certainly a possibility but it isn't a given.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 8:49 AM Post
So last season, when we added Grandal and Moose, people weren't talking how much better we were? Ok then...

The Reds getting better means fewer wins for the other Central teams when they beat them more than last year.

We'll see what happens, but refusing to acknowledge that the Reds are now a team we need to worry about doesn't make it true.

Looking at their roster, offensively and pitching wise, they look a lot better than us on paper. Yes, I get it, on paper doesn't get you wins or championships, but it's all we have to go on at this moment.

That team, right now, looks better than us, and living in a fantasy world acting like they are not going to challenge us and the Cards for the division is shortsightedness.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 8:55 AM Post
The division will be tough. It always is. You cannot control what other teams do. We've battled and destroyed the last two years of the Cubs "dynasty" while many said that the Brewers wouldn't compete for years to come. The Brewers are going to continue to stick with what they believe is best for what they are trying to accomplish and it has been working for them. It might be time for some fans to buck up and start trusting our front office a bit instead.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 9:00 AM Post
Division is going to be brutal. Season Win Totals for gambling came out recently and every team but Pit's number was above .500. If the Reds are only getting 4th best payout for the division and it's noticeably more than the other 4 teams it seems like a good bet to me. On paper I think they have the best team in the division.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 9:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
So last season, when we added Grandal and Moose, people weren't talking how much better we were? Ok then...

In 2018, we won 96 games & lost in Game 7 of the NLCS.

In 2019, we won 89 games & lost in the Wild Card game.

Anyone talking about how much better we were ended up wrong, just like most January prognosticators.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 9:10 AM Post
turborickey said:
That team, right now, looks better than us, and living in a fantasy world acting like they are not going to challenge us and the Cards for the division is shortsightedness.

No, it's simply reality. The Reds haven't done anything yet. No division has ever been won in January. Last year at this time, all the talking heads had the Phillies pegged for a World Series appearance. How'd that turn out?

If the Reds get to June and are laying waste to their competition, I'll worry about them. Not now. And that is definitely not shortsighted. How could needing proof that the moves they are making are effective be considered short-sighted? If anything, handing them the NL Central crown in January is short-sighted by definition.

Also yeah, Brewer fans thought that signing Grandal and Moose would make the team better than they were in 2018. Well, last year's team was demonstrably worse than 2018's. It's why they play the games.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 9:42 AM Post
The Cardinals look worse on paper which means you can pencil them in for at least 100 wins.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 10:40 AM Post
adambr2 said:
I cannot for the life of me understand the big deal with Castellanos. He's a defensive butcher whose only value is in his bat.

Unless you really think what he did for the Cubs for two months is the sign of a genuine breakout he's basically Domingo Santana for his career with somewhat less Ks and the ability to play multiple positions badly instead of just one.

I think this reasoning is 100% valid and yet, perhaps irrationally, I still want the guy. However, I'm not going to be even the slightest bit miffed when the Brewers don't sign him. I'm not in the "we need to sign a big name impact bat" camp.

As for the Reds I like their potential a lot, I expect improvement from them and think they could have a good season, one where they could contend for 1st place in the division. But outsiders have been thinking that about the Phillies the last couple seasons too and look how far that's gotten them. I don't know if that makes the Phillies or Reds bad teams, they just haven't been good enough teams. So far.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 10:47 AM Post
Quick reminder that the Phillies have improved 15 games over the last two seasons at a time when Atl and NYM also improved 15ish games. And Was pretty much stayed flat and won a WS. Mia terrible throughout.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2020, 1:04 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Zad Fnark said:

The roster was pretty good in 2013 and 2014, comparable (on paper) to the last 3 years. The Gomez trade basically started the rebuilding years of 2015 and 2016.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2020, 8:42 AM Post
WV Brew said:
The Brewers apparently have some kind of partnership deal with SC Johnson. It will be announced on the 24th of January. According to the Racine Journal-Times. I won't link it because there is really no other information.

Recycling partnership. Hopefully it ends up being impactful and isn't a program that just sounds nice on the surface but yields a net negative for the environment after all variables are factored.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2020/01/24/brewers-sc-johnson-announce-plastic-waste.amp.html

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2020, 1:54 PM Post
Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reports that the Cubs continue to have interest in free agent Scooter Gennett.

Gennett had a nightmare 2019 season, first missing time with a severe right groin strain before struggling with a .226/.245/.323 batting line over 139 plate appearances between the Reds and Giants. Still, he was a very productive hitter between 2017-2018 and makes sense for a team who has been reluctant to make any major investments this winter.

SOURCE: Bruce Levine on Twitter
Jan 27, 2020, 1:36 PM ET

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 3:03 PM Post
Jon Heyman of MLB Network writes that the Cubs are one of "about a half dozen teams" considering free agent second baseman Scooter Gennett.

Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reported the Cubs' interest in Gennett on Monday. He's reportedly working out for a couple of teams this week, so a decision should soon follow. His value couldn't be any lower after a disastrous 2019, so he makes sense as a buy-low candidate for a number of teams.

RELATED: Chicago Cubs
SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Jan 28, 2020, 1:09 PM ET

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 115 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply