LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 115 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Misc MLB News

Offline  Re: 2020 Misc MLB News

Posted: February 07, 2020, 7:19 PM Post
turborickey said:
Snarky or not, I don't blindly follow a manger just because he's our manager. To be honest, RRR is the only manager I have ever disliked to the point of ruining my Brewer experience. Yost was close to RRR territory, especially by the end, but RRR was just so damn bad nightly...

That’s how I feel with Macha. He had a solid team on paper, but he ran his team into the ground with listless, emotionless performances day in and day out. The only time I’ve ever emotionally given up on a season was under Macha.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 7:58 PM Post
DHonks said:
turborickey said:
Snarky or not, I don't blindly follow a manger just because he's our manager. To be honest, RRR is the only manager I have ever disliked to the point of ruining my Brewer experience. Yost was close to RRR territory, especially by the end, but RRR was just so damn bad nightly...

That’s how I feel with Macha. He had a solid team on paper, but he ran his team into the ground with listless, emotionless performances day in and day out. The only time I’ve ever emotionally given up on a season was under Macha.

I would like to think all this reminiscing helps people appreciate CC a little bit more. Also thinking back to Melvin not guiding us to more success in Braun's prime years would help appreciate Stearns a bit more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 8:02 PM Post
DHonks said:
turborickey said:

It wasn't listlessness that doomed Macha. It was pitching staffs that relied on names like Looper, Suppan, Parra, Bush, Doug Davis, and Narveson in the rotation and very little bullpen depth (hello Kameron Loe). The greatest managers of all time were not going to win with those staffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 8:13 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

It wasn't listlessness that doomed Macha. It was pitching staffs that relied on names like Looper, Suppan, Parra, Bush, Doug Davis, and Narveson in the rotation and very little bullpen depth (hello Kameron Loe). The greatest managers of all time were not going to win with those staffs.

Ya beat me to it...

I don't consider Macha anything other than the guy who had to manage a team with nothing, I mean nothing on the pitching staff. I don't give him credit, or fault, he was in a no win situation from the get go.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 8:48 PM Post
turborickey said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Ya beat me to it...

I don't consider Macha anything other than the guy who had to manage a team with nothing, I mean nothing on the pitching staff. I don't give him credit, or fault, he was in a no win situation from the get go.

The 2009 pitching staff had a weak rotation, but was anchored by a prime Yo and a solid bullpen. The 2010 staff had an adequate rotation and solid pen. These teams were painful to watch. But to ignore the manager and blame the pitching staff is simply not fair.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 8:52 PM Post
Macha was the opposite of Roenicke. He was smart and fairly strategic, but he couldn't relate to his players. Earning respect from your players is part of the job description. If you can't do it, you're not going to get through to them on much.

Counsell is not perfect, but for the most part he is the best of both worlds.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2020, 4:15 PM Post
https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2020/2/18/ ... las-injury

"Miles Mikolas will have another PRP injection today. Will not throw for 3-4 weeks and then ramp up from there. Will start the season on the IL"

Also Aaron Judge dealing with more shoulder problems. I said it when he first broke out, guys who are as big as Judge do not last very long in MLB. It is just too hard on the body being that large.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2020, 4:47 PM Post
Ennder said:
https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2020/2/18/21142456/cardinals-miles-mikolas-injury

"Miles Mikolas will have another PRP injection today. Will not throw for 3-4 weeks and then ramp up from there. Will start the season on the IL"

Also Aaron Judge dealing with more shoulder problems. I said it when he first broke out, guys who are as big as Judge do not last very long in MLB. It is just too hard on the body being that large.

They also are much more prone to finding holes in their swing, as their strike zone is so much bigger than the shorter guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 9:04 AM Post
Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman told reporters on Tuesday that Jimmy Nelson could be a "Brandon Morrow-type" reliever.

Nelson is currently getting a chance to win one of the final spots in the rotation for the Dodgers, but there's a lot of competition for those spots, and the right-hander has not been healthy since 2017 when he suffered a shoulder injury diving into first base. There's never been a question about his stuff, however, and if Nelson is moved into a mid-to-high leverage bullpen role, he could miss plenty of bats as a bridge to closer Kenley Jansen.

SOURCE: Ken Gurnick on Twitter
Feb 18, 2020, 8:47 PM ET

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 9:09 AM Post
turborickey said:
Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman told reporters on Tuesday that Jimmy Nelson could be a "Brandon Morrow-type" reliever.

Nelson is currently getting a chance to win one of the final spots in the rotation for the Dodgers, but there's a lot of competition for those spots, and the right-hander has not been healthy since 2017 when he suffered a shoulder injury diving into first base. There's never been a question about his stuff, however, and if Nelson is moved into a mid-to-high leverage bullpen role, he could miss plenty of bats as a bridge to closer Kenley Jansen.

SOURCE: Ken Gurnick on Twitter
Feb 18, 2020, 8:47 PM ET

Will be interesting to see how his shoulder responds to a role change, after starting his entire career up to this point. This might be best for him. I hope he has success, even if it's for the Dodgers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 21, 2020, 1:02 PM Post
I seen that Archie Bradley won his Arb case and was the last case this season that endured the process without coming to an agreement. Overall, owners won 7 cases and players won 5. Lot closer to 50/50 after the owners won the initial 4.

On an Aside, Bradley is going to make 4.1mil this season after around 2.3mil the previous. He became Arizona's closer last season and only has 1 more Arb season remaining. I realize he wasn't a Hader but something to compare maybe. For future pricing. If you give Hader a similar increase that comes to. Approximately 7.33 mil mil next season. I'll give him a bonus of 500k to be a 7.85mil projection then next season. Had Hader won the price on just Bradley's increase would have become 11.41mil next season.

Edit add. Year 3-20.33mil and yr 4 36.33mil. Had Hader won.
At 4.1 the increase only awards to 7.33, 13.06, 23.27mil.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 21, 2020, 1:39 PM Post
From what I read, the owners won the big cases and the players won the smaller cases by and large. Makes you scratch your head a little...

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Misc MLB News

Posted: February 21, 2020, 5:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
Macha was the opposite of Roenicke. He was smart and fairly strategic, but he couldn't relate to his players. Earning respect from your players is part of the job description. If you can't do it, you're not going to get through to them on much.

I get what you're saying but if someone used Macha as a reason they couldn't hit that year that's a pretty lame excuse.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 21, 2020, 10:03 PM Post
homer said:
adambr2 said:

I get what you're saying but if someone used Macha as a reason they couldn't hit that year that's a pretty lame excuse.

Couldn’t hit? They were top 5 in NL in every offensive stat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2020, 2:05 PM Post
https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/12 ... 4549733379

TJ recommended for Severino.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2020, 4:01 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/1232394614549733379

I'm surprised you haven't floated Brett Anderson for Gleyber Torres! [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2020, 6:34 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:

Hmmm...

How about this:

Brewers get:
3B Miguel Andujar
OF Ryder Green
OF/IF Alex Garcia
RHP Luis Gil

Yankees get:
RHP Corbin Burnes
LHP Alex Claudio

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2020, 9:28 AM Post
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... balls-grip

Has anyone else seen anything on the ball for this year? This article and commentary seems to indicate a less juiced ball for 2020.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2020, 10:04 AM Post
clancyphile said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Hmmm...

How about this:

Brewers get:
3B Miguel Andujar
OF Ryder Green
OF/IF Alex Garcia
RHP Luis Gil

Yankees get:
RHP Corbin Burnes
LHP Alex Claudio

[sad] [sad]
Unless we are getting back some serious thunder, this isn't the best time to trade Burnes imo. I'm just curious why you didn't include Lutz and or Turang...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 27, 2020, 12:06 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/zach-eflin-mlb-new-baseballs-grip

Has anyone else seen anything on the ball for this year? This article and commentary seems to indicate a less juiced ball for 2020.

I havent, but hopefully it means Burnes and Hader keep the ball in the park and become studs again! Although, it will hurt Sogard if thats the case.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 115 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply