LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 69 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison

Author Message
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#41

Posted: January 13, 2020, 10:03 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3632
craigharmann said:
Nope. More truth is going to come out and many, many more teams will be indicted. So there is going to be many who look foolish after the fact.


So why do you not like LoMo for calling out other teams?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#42

Posted: January 13, 2020, 10:06 PM Post
Posts: 3967
I don’t like him for not keeping quiet until all of the truth comes out.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#43

Posted: January 13, 2020, 10:13 PM Post
Posts: 804
craigharmann said:
I don’t like him for not keeping quiet until all of the truth comes out.


What? How does this track at all? In the other thread you’re ripping Fiers for not speaking out sooner, when it was happening, but now you’d rather have LoMo keep his mouth shut until “all of the truth comes out” somehow?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#44

Posted: January 15, 2020, 4:03 PM Post
Posts: 3967
brooks_quichenick said:
craigharmann said:
I don’t like him for not keeping quiet until all of the truth comes out.


What? How does this track at all? In the other thread you’re ripping Fiers for not speaking out sooner, when it was happening, but now you’d rather have LoMo keep his mouth shut until “all of the truth comes out” somehow?


Fiers is a tool who, if he truly felt bad, should have spoken up immediately after the 2017 season, not waiting 2 years to say anything. And furthermore, if he feels that awful and that this was that egregious, he’d give back his WS ring and WS share.......but we’ll wait for that, won’t we. Clear things up? Honestly, every team has done this to some extent. The league wanted to make the Astros the whipping boy, because Fiers spoke up.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#45

Posted: January 15, 2020, 4:15 PM Post
Posts: 20592
"Every team has done this to some extent" is bogus IMO. That's like comparing the boy stealing the candy bar from the convenience store to the man holding the bank teller at gunpoint. Yeah, every team has used pine tar and stolen a sign when a guy was tipping pitches. Not every team had a sophisticated system of cameras and decoding specifically designed for the purpose of stealing signs. (Stealing signs by traditional means isn't against the rules, BTW. Stealing signs using digital means is.)


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#46

Posted: January 15, 2020, 8:47 PM Post
Posts: 3967
adambr2 said:
"Every team has done this to some extent" is bogus IMO. That's like comparing the boy stealing the candy bar from the convenience store to the man holding the bank teller at gunpoint. Yeah, every team has used pine tar and stolen a sign when a guy was tipping pitches. Not every team had a sophisticated system of cameras and decoding specifically designed for the purpose of stealing signs. (Stealing signs by traditional means isn't against the rules, BTW. Stealing signs using digital means is.)


Just wait. Every team had something digital to some extent. It’s not just solely limited to the Astros, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Indians and so on.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#47

Posted: January 15, 2020, 10:32 PM Post
Posts: 252
Fiers probably struggled for a long time with this. Yes, he should have come forward sooner, but we don't know the reasons/fears which led to him not doing so as soon as he was off that team. It would be disingenuous of us to assume that we do unless we've personally been through something similar and, even then, we can't know for sure - so why assume (because that's precisely what it is) the worst about him?

He had nothing to gain from telling the truth other than peace of mind, and much to lose - the respect of some teammates who might feel "what goes on in the locker room, stays in the locker room". Even a person of good conscience can be caught in an ethical dilemma - to tell the truth or to keep quiet in order to protect those who stand beside you daily, out of fear or a misguided sense of duty/loyalty. What about the soldier who witnesses some despicable act committed by a member of their platoon in a time of war? Should they be despised for not coming forward immediately, risking the wrath of others in their platoon whom they depend upon daily? Or perhaps a police officer who witnesses a crime committed by another officer? Or should they instead be praised for finally overcoming their fears, real or imagined, and coming forward to expose this act? Yeah, those were much more extreme examples, but the principle is the same. To despise Fiers in this is to condemn every single person who reports wrongdoing, if they don't do so immediately - and such condemnation only serves to further protect those doing wrong, by making it even harder on those people if they think about coming forward later.

adambr2 said:
"Every team has done this to some extent" is bogus IMO.


I'm tempted to agree. There is zero evidence to support this. But we hear this a lot in today's society. As children, we're taught (hopefully) that "well, everyone else is doing it" is not a valid excuse. And, let's be honest, when we used that excuse as children it was rarely (if ever) actually true - we'd seen one or two others do it and get away with it, so we think that we can too then, when caught, we try to justify (or, at least, minimize) it with an excuse like that.

Let's just wait and see what comes out of this in terms of other teams, and not make unsupported assumptions or pillory those who expose these deeds - in any walk of life...

Edit: Wait, wasn't this a thread about Logan Morrison? I apologize for being a part of the derailment by responding to it and won't comment again.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#48

Posted: January 19, 2020, 9:57 AM Post
Posts: 239
craigharmann said:
Just because of his social media comments today, I don’t like him.

You can't just say that and leave us hanging... what did he say on social media?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#49

Posted: January 19, 2020, 10:03 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5823
He said that "so many teams cheat" and listed some teams and said he knew firsthand they cheated. Said Astros cheated since at least 2014. Called the punishment half-assed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#50

Posted: January 19, 2020, 12:03 PM Post
Posts: 5071
anglotiger said:
Fiers probably struggled for a long time with this. Yes, he should have come forward sooner, but we don't know the reasons/fears which led to him not doing so as soon as he was off that team. It would be disingenuous of us to assume that we do unless we've personally been through something similar and, even then, we can't know for sure - so why assume (because that's precisely what it is) the worst about him?

He had nothing to gain from telling the truth other than peace of mind, and much to lose - the respect of some teammates who might feel "what goes on in the locker room, stays in the locker room". Even a person of good conscience can be caught in an ethical dilemma - to tell the truth or to keep quiet in order to protect those who stand beside you daily, out of fear or a misguided sense of duty/loyalty. What about the soldier who witnesses some despicable act committed by a member of their platoon in a time of war? Should they be despised for not coming forward immediately, risking the wrath of others in their platoon whom they depend upon daily? Or perhaps a police officer who witnesses a crime committed by another officer? Or should they instead be praised for finally overcoming their fears, real or imagined, and coming forward to expose this act? Yeah, those were much more extreme examples, but the principle is the same. To despise Fiers in this is to condemn every single person who reports wrongdoing, if they don't do so immediately - and such condemnation only serves to further protect those doing wrong, by making it even harder on those people if they think about coming forward later.

adambr2 said:
"Every team has done this to some extent" is bogus IMO.


I'm tempted to agree. There is zero evidence to support this. But we hear this a lot in today's society. As children, we're taught (hopefully) that "well, everyone else is doing it" is not a valid excuse. And, let's be honest, when we used that excuse as children it was rarely (if ever) actually true - we'd seen one or two others do it and get away with it, so we think that we can too then, when caught, we try to justify (or, at least, minimize) it with an excuse like that.

Let's just wait and see what comes out of this in terms of other teams, and not make unsupported assumptions or pillory those who expose these deeds - in any walk of life...

Edit: Wait, wasn't this a thread about Logan Morrison? I apologize for being a part of the derailment by responding to it and won't comment again.


Fiers was warning his teammates when he was with the Tigers the following season. This wasn't coming out of the blue or anything. In a sense, it's like some of the stuff we've seen in headlines.

"Hey, you need to be on your guard around X because of Y."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#51

Posted: January 20, 2020, 12:03 AM Post
Posts: 925
Location: Oshkosh
craigharmann said:
adambr2 said:
"Every team has done this to some extent" is bogus IMO. That's like comparing the boy stealing the candy bar from the convenience store to the man holding the bank teller at gunpoint. Yeah, every team has used pine tar and stolen a sign when a guy was tipping pitches. Not every team had a sophisticated system of cameras and decoding specifically designed for the purpose of stealing signs. (Stealing signs by traditional means isn't against the rules, BTW. Stealing signs using digital means is.)


Just wait. Every team had something digital to some extent. It’s not just solely limited to the Astros, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Indians and so on.


Was every batter on all other teams wearing wires but they were just better at hiding it? Did other teams bang trash cans when breaking balls were coming but at a different frequency? Did Mike Fiers, who has pitched for multiple teams in his career, only accuse Houston because he hates Houston?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#52

Posted: March 10, 2020, 9:09 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 3027
does morrison warrant breaking camp with the club on the 26-man roster?

because he finished the season on a club's 40-man roster, he has an opt-out clause towards the end of spring training. the brewers may pay him a $100,000 retention bonus to keep him in the minor leagues until another potential opt-out date in june.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#53

Posted: March 10, 2020, 9:23 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 671
djoctagone said:
does morrison warrant breaking camp with the club on the 26-man roster?

because he finished the season on a club's 40-man roster, he has an opt-out clause towards the end of spring training. the brewers may pay him a $100,000 retention bonus to keep him in the minor leagues until another potential opt-out date in june.


He's already said he won't play in AAA, so your 2nd point is moot.

I think he more than likely makes it as the 26th man, at Gamel's expense. I'm fine either way they go, but I understand the appeal of having Morrison's lefty power bat on the bench.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#54

Posted: March 10, 2020, 9:42 AM Post
Posts: 5214
Location: Madison, WI
craigharmann said:
brooks_quichenick said:
craigharmann said:
I don’t like him for not keeping quiet until all of the truth comes out.


What? How does this track at all? In the other thread you’re ripping Fiers for not speaking out sooner, when it was happening, but now you’d rather have LoMo keep his mouth shut until “all of the truth comes out” somehow?


Fiers is a tool who, if he truly felt bad, should have spoken up immediately after the 2017 season, not waiting 2 years to say anything. And furthermore, if he feels that awful and that this was that egregious, he’d give back his WS ring and WS share.......but we’ll wait for that, won’t we. Clear things up? Honestly, every team has done this to some extent. The league wanted to make the Astros the whipping boy, because Fiers spoke up.


Continues to be an awful take and even morso as more and more info comes out. Fiers told others right away, new teams, players, etc. Its basic logic. You have 35-50 people knowing this is happening. After that year, half those guys are on new teams. You don't think they're going to tell people? They all told their new teammates so they could plan for it, who told others who told others. A secret with that many people isn't going to stay secret for long. It even came out that teams told MLB and MLB did nothing because they didn't want the bad pub. The only way to do something was to go to the media. But yea he's the tool and the one in the wrong in this situation according to you. But yea what a POS that he didn't publicly melt his ring down.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#55

Posted: March 10, 2020, 11:21 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9022
Just a quick reminder that this is a thread about Logan Morrison, not Mike Fiers.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#56

Posted: March 10, 2020, 1:11 PM Post
Posts: 325
Ron Robinson's Beard said:

He's already said he won't play in AAA, so your 2nd point is moot.



Unless he plans to retire he might not have a choice. He's on a minor league contact and hasn't really shown anything at the MLB level the last couple of years. Even if he makes the team out of spring it's no guarantee he doesn't end up in the minors at some point.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#57

Posted: March 10, 2020, 1:19 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 671
timpep said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:

He's already said he won't play in AAA, so your 2nd point is moot.



Unless he plans to retire he might not have a choice. He's on a minor league contact and hasn't really shown anything at the MLB level the last couple of years. Even if he makes the team out of spring it's no guarantee he doesn't end up in the minors at some point.


Actually he does. He has an opt-out that he can exercise to get him out of his Brewers minor-league deal prior to the start of the season. If the Brewers do add him to the 40-man, he no longer has options remaining, so he can declare free agency if he's outrighted after the season begins. In an interview a few weeks ago, he more or less alluded to the idea that he'd likely retire if he doesn't make the majors out of Spring Training. He apparently is looking at this season as his final shot to make some noise at the major league level, and if it doesn't happen, he's content to go home, live on the money he's already made (career earnings of nearly $20 million according to Baseball Reference) and be a family man. I'm pretty indifferent to Morrison the player, but I admire his decision as a person.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#58

Posted: March 11, 2020, 8:22 AM Post
Posts: 3629
This quote was in an article on the Brewers website.

“I was pretty good last year, too. I just didn’t get any opportunity,” Morrison said. “When I did play every day in the Minor Leagues, I was really good. When you get one [at-bat] a night and you get a start every month, it’s kind of tough to get your timing down.”

That just seems like him making the roster as the 26th man isn't really in his plans either. If he ends up being our 26th guy, he's going to get 1 AB per night and a spot start here and there. If he was complaining about that type of role last year, I doubt that is what he takes this year. I don't see a path to him playing more than that really.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#59

Posted: March 11, 2020, 9:25 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5318
the path is that the brewers decide he is a better short term 1st baseman than Smoak and Smoak doesn't make the team. I agree, doesn't see him making the team as the final roster spot.

I said numerous times, there is a group of 14 that I thought 13 of them would comprise the opening day lineup. If Urias starts on the DL, you have Cain, Hiura, Holt, Omar, Nerd, Pina, Smoak, Braun, Arcia, Gamel, Yeli, Jedd, and Garcia.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign 1B/OF Logan Morrison
#60

Posted: March 11, 2020, 1:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 622
Location: Chicago
patrickgpe said:
the path is that the brewers decide he is a better short term 1st baseman than Smoak and Smoak doesn't make the team. I agree, doesn't see him making the team as the final roster spot.

I said numerous times, there is a group of 14 that I thought 13 of them would comprise the opening day lineup. If Urias starts on the DL, you have Cain, Hiura, Holt, Omar, Nerd, Pina, Smoak, Braun, Arcia, Gamel, Yeli, Jedd, and Garcia.


Braun has a shoulder injury and is unable to throw. If he opens on the DL, Morrison will certainly make the club. Further, they're not going release Smoak and eat a $5 million dollar contract at the end of ST, its just not something the organization does.

Morrison is a mediocre slugger who doesn't really fit the profile of the players the Brewers have, that being said at some point if he maintains a hot bat in ST .333/.400/.667, you'd have to imagine he will earn his way onto the roster as the 26th man to start the year. Plus the Brewers have had a track record of keeping a slugging first baseman as a bench player after a huge spring: Ji-Man Choi, Jesus Aguilar for example


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 69 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: areacodes and 14 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test