LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next  [ 384 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY

Offline    Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:22 PM Post
-GM and Manager suspended w/out pay for one season. No contact with team.
-Loss of 1st and 2nd rd draft picks both this year and next.
-$5 million fine

UPDATE: Luhnow and Hinch have both been fired by the Astros.

Cora expected to get hit here soon as well. The draft picks hurt quite a bit for a fairly gutted farm from the Greinke trade. I wonder how this will set them back.

Per Ken Rosenthal: https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1216796031200976896

Last edited by liveforoctober on January 13, 2020, 1:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Houston Astros cheating punishment announced

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
Glad MLB laid down the law here.

Stark contrast to how the NFL has handled the multiple Patriots instances of shady happenings over the years.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Houston Astros cheating punishment announced

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
Wow, that's no joke.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Houston Astros GM, Manager suspended 1 year in cheating scandal

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:28 PM Post
Very tough and fair ruling. I would have fined them 50 million though. Make it so you think twice before trying this garbage again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
Very tough and fair ruling. I would have fined them 50 million though. Make it so you think twice before trying this garbage again.

I read somewhere that $5 million was the most they could be fined.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:34 PM Post
homer said:
wallus said:

I read somewhere that $5 million was the most they could be fined.

Ah well then I take it back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:35 PM Post
wallus said:

Yeah, shouldn't the fine be closer to what they earned in postseason shares? They earned over $30 million when they won it all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:35 PM Post
Yet alot of comments coming In from Astro fans that 5 mil, picks and the suspensions were worth it for a world series

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:36 PM Post
Will any of the players face penalties? Because they should be held accountable as well.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:38 PM Post
I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when I saw the punishments. Not that it wasn't completely deserved, it's just a shockingly massive punishment. I would like to think it's enough to bring all forms of cheating to a screeching halt.

I'm curious if the manager and GM get paid during their year long suspensions.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:38 PM Post
stalton said:
Yet alot of comments coming In from Astro fans that 5 mil, picks and the suspensions were worth it for a world series

That's my take. Seems pretty light. No postseason ban or vacating their championship?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:39 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I'm curious if the manager and GM get paid during their year long suspensions.

It's without pay.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Houston Astros GM, Manager suspended 1 year in cheating scandal

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:40 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Will any of the players face penalties? Because they should be held accountable as well.

Already said they wouldn't. I am guessing that was partially hoping they would talk and get some information about the situation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:44 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:

Already said they wouldn't. I am guessing that was partially hoping they would talk and get some information about the situation.

Josh went on twitter with all the confidence in the world that no player would get punished. No player would agree to assist in the investigation without amnesty...which is fairly logical.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:49 PM Post
Money was light. The rest of it was fair. Should be banned from international spending for 2 years along with the picks.

If 5 million is the cap, then it's the cap, but it shouldn't be the cap. You want things to stop you hit the owners in the wallet.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Houston Astros GM, Manager suspended 1 year in cheating scandal

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:51 PM Post
Obviously wished they would have gotten the title wiped off the map, but this is a pretty big black eye anyway. Should be interesting how this will effect them. How does the GMs suspension work? Does it only cover the in-season interaction? If so that is pretty lame, should be 365 days. Kinda crazy someone else has to make those personnel moves for one measly year. Owner should just fire them both and move on, what an ugly situation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 1:53 PM Post
It's pretty idealistic to think a player under contract would whistleblow in pro sports. I don't have an issue there.

Hinch is a real tool. There's a quote out there somewhere of him being accused of this before it came to light and he gaslights the whole thing like it's insane. Except he knew exactly what was going on and went full-blown actor. He can go for life as far as I'm concerned.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 2:01 PM Post
I’m glad they laid down the law and gave some pretty severe penalties. I was still hoping for something like a 2 year postseason ban. Not only could that lead to players asking for trades knowing that they are playing for money and no chance at a championship, especially older veterans, but the fans wouldn’t come out in droves, leading to less money coming in, and as a result the owner’s pocket book taking a big hit.

You do the game dirty, you get dirty repercussions. The overall penalty in my eyes is still light as $5 million is nothing compared to the money brought in during the postseason. The picks hurt, but they also already have a roster filled top to bottom with all-star talent and a pretty large payroll at their disposal. A postseason ban would have really set the bar and made teams reconsider their shady ways.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 2:01 PM Post
wallus said:
Very tough and fair ruling. I would have fined them 50 million though. Make it so you think twice before trying this garbage "can" again.

I guess that $5 million was the highest allowable fine under MLB rules.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2020, 2:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
I like the hammer of justice when it's levied against others. I wonder what I would think if this were Stearns and Counsell and the Brewers draft picks.

The Astros and Red Sox have done enough winning to salve this wound. If they find a team that hasn't won, but cheated like this, that could really set back an organization.

From a day-to-day standpoint, the Astros have some work to do to find replacements for Luhnow and Hinch. The bigger news story will be when the Red Sox get their punishment.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next  [ 384 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply