LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next  [ 384 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY

Offline  Re: Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY
Posted: February 20, 2020, 7:32 PM Post
Lucroy says Fiers told him of Astros scheme two years ago. Said A’s called MLB and league did nothing. When he saw Athletic report in November, thought “Oh boy.”

Fire Manfred.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY
Posted: February 20, 2020, 7:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
If proven to be true, Manfred has no credibility. Not sure the owners would fire him, but man, he really has to go.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2020, 8:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/287 ... -vs-astros

This article goes into a lot more detail. Sounds like the A's front office backs up the story that Fiers did try to notify the league, and they basically did nothing. Manfred is a coward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2020, 10:49 PM Post
You could tell Manfred knew about it when he began implementing certain rule changes regarding technology. After 2017 with the Astros stealing signs, television delays in the stadium were then placed on 8 second delays other than the replay room. Then in 2018 after the Red Sox cheated and won the whole thing by having someone in the replay room relaying the signs, MLB started having a person monitor the replay rooms to make sure nobody was stealing signs starting in 2019. You think he just happened to put these changes into effect right after these incidents occurred and didn’t know they were happening? Absolutely not. That worthless soul knew it was going on and never brought it to light until he was forced to.

He’s a pathetic coward that should absolutely lose his job for letting this happen and sitting on his hands without handing out any type of punishment. He’s an absolute disgrace to the game of baseball.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2020, 7:46 AM Post
And now I hear Big Papi is calling Fiers a 'snitch'....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2020, 1:07 PM Post
Ortiz also has 3 rings to sit on top of. He’s no longer a player and I’m sure his opinion of the Astros, Fiers, etc.. would be very different if he was on the losing end or it cost him his 1st World Series ring.
I also view the pitchers of the Astros differently than players who are taking AB’s. There’s a hierarchy within teams and I can’t think of any MLB team in history where you heard that a pitcher was the leader of the clubhouse.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2020, 1:49 PM Post
CBS sports actually makes a pretty good point:

Fiers waiting until after he won a World Series and left the Astros to speak up is a common complaint, and while it's fair to say his motivations were not entirely noble, better is late than never. He deserves to be commended because, if he doesn't go on the record, the sign-stealing scheme doesn't become public, and MLB likely takes no action. The sport is in better shape because of him.

Astros manager A.J. Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow were complicit in the sign-stealing scheme and going to them was presumably a non-option for Fiers. Going to the media? Forget it. Ratting out current teammates for cheating would go over much worse than ratting out former teammates. Realistically, going public after the fact was the only way to do this.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Luhnow and Hinch fired by Astros; Cora Out in Boston, Beltran Out in NY
Posted: February 21, 2020, 3:06 PM Post
At the end of this, I really hope every single one of the Astros opponents this year had some sort of "bang a garbage can lid" promo when the Astros come to town. I'm guessing the well-deserved grief and trolling the Astros are going to be subject two over 81 road games is going to be pretty epic.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2020, 3:20 PM Post
Interesting how the first time the Astros are on the road it is against the Athletics and Fiers may be pitching.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2020, 4:15 PM Post
This appears to be getting worse by the day which is pretty incredible considering where it started.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2020, 4:29 PM Post
Moving forward, this whole incident will be taught by sports PR firms as example number one of "What NOT to do".

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2020, 12:54 PM Post
bigredrobbo said:
Moving forward, this whole incident will be taught by sports PR firms as example number one of "What NOT to do".

What not to do - Houston Astros, part 2 & MLB Commisioner's office part 1.

Houston's muck up of the locker room situation last post-season (regarding the then-Asst GM, Robert Osuna & the female reporter) would be Houston Astros, part 1 of What NOT to do..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2020, 1:40 PM Post
I just think it’s pretty remarkable how an organization has handled each and every situation this poorly since that initial incident with the assistant GM. They literally could not have handled all of these situations much worse than they have. And there’s no sign of things getting any better any time soon. They are a PR nightmare.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2020, 1:46 PM Post
Maybe they can go back to their Enron Field name for awhile to divert attention from their sign stealing scandal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2020, 1:05 PM Post
Astros are still out there stealing signs. Now? Stealing signs from fans at games. Not gonna lie, I feel like people could start having a case against the Astros in some type of law suit for violating their freedom of speech. If they aren’t stating some type of criminal act or something violent on their sign, I see absolutely no reason they could take somebody’s sign. The Astros and possibly MLB could really be setting themselves up for some legal issues. This will only be the tip of the iceberg too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2020, 2:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
Freedom of Speech is a right someone has against the government preventing speech. The Astros are within their rights to tell a fan to either give up their sign or leave the Astros's property. The Astros personnel figured the fan didn't want to leave the stadium so just demanded they give up the sign. Not a good PR move but there would be no serious legal repercussions from this.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2020, 3:00 PM Post
RightFieldCoder said:
Freedom of Speech is a right someone has against the government preventing speech. The Astros are within their rights to tell a fan to either give up their sign or leave the Astros's property. The Astros personnel figured the fan didn't want to leave the stadium so just demanded they give up the sign. Not a good PR move but there would be no serious legal repercussions from this.

This practice is not new or unique to the Astros either. Happens in all sports and in all venues. Generally, teams reserve the right to remove signs/fans that are or could be disruptive to the event.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2020, 8:49 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Maybe they can go back to their Enron Field name for awhile to divert attention from their sign stealing scandal.

Underrated comment. This site needs a 'like' feature.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2020, 9:17 AM Post
For next season, it sounds like they are going to have an independent "security" type person in each clubhouse/dugout to report on any potential violations. MLB did have an employee in each clubhouse/dugout in the 2019 season, but after this surfaced it seems they will be going the independent route. How funny would it be if they treated this like boxing/ufc...where guys get frisked for weapons and such and have their gloves checked before being allowed to enter the ring?

I also wonder if this will impact how quickly pitchers pitch...maybe we'll see more Suter tactics to not allow time to relay a sign.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2020, 9:36 AM Post
I'm all for no more 'human rain delays'

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next  [ 384 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply