LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

American Family Field AKA Miller Park

Offline  Re: American Family Field AKA Miller Park

Posted: January 22, 2020, 12:24 PM Post
also its not like its globe life park, citizens bank park or the worst guaranteed rate field

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 12:43 PM Post
In terms of corporate names there's a lot worse than American Family Field. IMO the best corporate name for a ballpark is Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. I never realized Great American is an insurance company.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 12:50 PM Post
AFF is on par with that. I think overall mlb stadium names are pretty good. Its the NBA or NFL where there are some clunkers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 2:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm guessing I'll always call it Miller Park but we will see. It was a good name for that stadium and team. I have no real problem with American Family Field, it will just be hard to change my ways.

I don't know if this was mentioned but I saw someone tweet they will just call it the AM Fam Clam, and that made me laugh pretty good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 2:56 PM Post
I didn't know Miller Park was named after Miller beer until about year 3 of the stadium. It just sounded like it was named after some guy whose last name was Miller. I was also in grade school at the time. I didn't know Great American Ballpark was named after a bank or whatever it is for a few years either, I thought it was just super patriotic. Neither of those names sound totally corporate. Same with American Family Field at least.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 8:32 PM Post
How many people still call it County Stadium?

Note to self. Please double check if all O's are in place

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2020, 9:41 AM Post
Soooo.... big question....

Are they going to rename the street as well? Or will it still be Miller Park Way?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2020, 9:52 AM Post
they will rename it, we just don't know to what. It will NOT be associated with American Family though I heard.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2020, 11:06 AM Post
Myday2001 said:
Soooo.... big question....

Are they going to rename the street as well? Or will it still be Miller Park Way?

I think the easiest way to do this is just to remove the space and rename it Miller Parkway. Retains a little history and solves the double name worry.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2020, 5:09 PM Post
Or they could just call it 43rd St

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2020, 6:11 PM Post
Why not just leave it as is? You know, preserve history...

Why does it have to change?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2020, 7:00 PM Post
turborickey said:

That's easy. $$$$$$$$

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2020, 7:13 PM Post
SeaBass said:
rickh150 said:
Calling a domed stadium a field doesn't seem right.... park, stadium, and ballpark seem better.

How many domed parks did you play in as a child? Just playing the semantics game. Also, in a baseball context a field is a field whether there's a roof over it or not. There are still outfielders and players still "take the field" or "field a grounder". Even when it used to be played on Astroturf, in a dome.

In an aside, listening to WTMJ radio on the way to work this morning and they were discussing the name change and what to call Miller Park Way going forward and one of them said they could keep the general name but call it Miller Parkway instead. I thought that was a pretty clever solution.

About as many domed fields that you played in... I'll play along, though, and meet you half way with ballpark. I guess the retractable roof makes more names possible and agreeable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 11:13 AM Post
I really don't know why anyone feels tied to "Miller" Park. The place is not that old and it's a crappy beer that had no interest in extending the financial commitment. It is not like it's called Selig Park or County Stadium and has historical significance. I think it's funny that people complain about the team "not spending money" but will wholeheartedly commit to a naming rights agreement where the brand has essentially said "Nah we're good, don't want to help out anymore."

I realize that it's much more surface level than that for 95% of people, but whatever. AmFam ponied up to support the local team. I'll get behind the name of the place that wants to be a part of baseball in Milwaukee.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 11:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
It was Miller Park for 20 years, which isn't a short period of time. It's not like Enron Field that was around for 2-3 years before the company went under. And despite your personal opinions on the beer, Miller beer and 'Brewers' resonates a lot more with the community than property/casualty insurance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 11:56 AM Post
It's pretty short compared to something like Lambeau where the uproar over a name change would make a lot more sense, and accusing the team of "selling out" would actually be what's happening. I also found it funny that the most popular place to drink in the stadium for the last several years has been the spot that sells no Miller Products -- I'm not even sure how they were allowed to do that unless someone tells me Miller owns those breweries which wouldn't surprise me.. I appreciate that Miller was a natural fit in the beginning but I don't feel a ton of nostalgia tied to the name. Maybe if I never went to County Stadium, I would, but I don't think the Miller name resonates locally the way it did even 20 years ago, not after joining its name with Coors and being purchased by SAB. I think a lot of people just view it as another enormous conglomerate.

I'm happy they got a good local sponsor and at least refrained from calling it Brewers Baseball presented by American Family at the Fields of Milwaukee County.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 11:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:
It was Miller Park for 20 years, which isn't a short period of time. It's not like Enron Field that was around for 2-3 years before the company went under. And despite your personal opinions on the beer, Miller beer and 'Brewers' resonates a lot more with the community than property/casualty insurance.

Yeah it wasn't so long ago that Miller was a huge part of the culture in Milwaukee. Either you knew someone that worked there or you knew someone that knew someone. They were a huge employer and part of the identity of the city.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 4:56 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

I realize that it's much more surface level than that for 95% of people, but whatever. AmFam ponied up to support the local team. I'll get behind the name of the place that wants to be a part of baseball in Milwaukee.

You think AmFam ponied up to "support" the team?

They ponied up to support their pocketbooks, and no other reason. It's all about the $$.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: American Family Field AKA Miller Park

Posted: February 01, 2020, 5:17 PM Post
Frank Turner Fan said:
turborickey said:

That's easy. $$$$$$$$

I don’t think there is much money to be made changing the name of a street.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 5:26 PM Post
turborickey said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

You think AmFam ponied up to "support" the team?

They ponied up to support their pocketbooks, and no other reason. It's all about the $$.

I know how sponsorships work.

It's the same thing. Supporting the team and a lucrative partnership aren't mutually exclusive.

I can tell you though as someone who works for one these larger local brands that it's not for "no other reason." That's just not true. These companies absolutely do care about the partnerships they engage with and one as reputable and wholesome as the Brewers is a good fit for most of them. There are reasons these partnerships get formed that go beyond money even if that is the biggest one. It's not the only one.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply