LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Urias Wrist - Update: Had surgery 1/28 for hamate bone fracture, out 6-8 weeks

Offline  Re: Urias Wrist Being Evaluated

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:35 PM Post
They did talk about it, it was reported widely he was flying in to have his wrist examined. He clearly wasn't flown to the US to have his wrist "checked out" though. He was flown in to have surgery performed by the team's doctor of choice. I wouldn't expect them to say more than what they did. And if that's all they decided to say, there's not much to talk about.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting article on hamate bone injuries from when Giancarlo Stanton suffered from the same issue...

Fish Stripes: Explaining the hamate bone fracture

Unfortunately, Stanton’s injury took much longer than expected to recover from. He had surgery in late-June and never returned to action that season (in 2015) because he had some lingering effects on his grip (Miami Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton suffering from hand grip issues).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
Well not ideal and obviously both wrists are very important to a baseball player, but I guess it’s maybe slightly better that it is the left wrist for a right handed thrower/batter.

Better for his throwing, but I believe the left hand generates power for a righty batter, being at the bottom of the grip.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Urias Wrist Being Evaluated

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah it can linger. You can play but it can still affect you for a while. I don't know if the hand matters (as it pertains to which side of the plate you bat from).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:47 PM Post
Matt Olson last year

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/athle ... nd-surgery

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:49 PM Post
"A total of 41 baseball players were identified, all of whom were documented to have a chronic presentation of a nonunion or partial union. The population consisted completely of male athletes, with a median age of 21 years (range, 18-34 years). All patients were competitive athletes, with 12 professional baseball players, 17 collegiate baseball players, and 12 high school baseball players. All patients were treated with hook of hamate excision, with 7 patients undergoing concomitant procedures as indicated. The median time to return to play was 5 weeks (range, 3-7 weeks). The time to return to play was similar between professional, collegiate, and high school athletes. All athletes returned to their preinjury level of activity by 7 weeks postoperatively."

Doesn't really sound all that bad. 8 weeks from today, the conservative estimate I've seen, Is March 24. So he should be with the MLB team, if that's the plan, before the end of April.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Urias Wrist Being Evaluated

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:52 PM Post
Found another short journal article about evaluating baseball players’ performances after hamate injuries and surgeries:

https://handsurgerypc.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Performance-Outcomes-After-Hook-of-the-Hamate-Fractures-in-Major-League-Baseball-Players.-J-Sport-Rehabil.pdf

Definitely one for our stats-interested members to evaluate.

Some interesting statements from the article:

“We hypothesized that a hook of hamate fracture would lead to a decrease in performance in MLB players. However, our results demonstrated that players returned to their preinjury performance level. MLB players sustaining hook of hamate fractures did not show any decrease in performance when compared with matched-controls. Our findings suggest that MLB players are able to return to their prior performance level, and continue their careers unhindered after sustaining a hook of hamate fracture.
Interestingly, when controlling for all factors included in our multivariate regression model, WAR 2 seasons preinjury and ISO preinjury were predictive of performance after injury with a strong positive correlation. We believe that the players who were more productive preinjury, were more motivated to complete their rehabilitation and return to play at an elite level......

Conclusion:
Hook of hamate fractures treated by operative means, in MLB players, did not impact postinjury performance. MLB players were able to return to play after their injury and perform at a similar level as their control-matched peers at 2 years postinjury.”

We can hope that Urias can get back to levels in one year, though it looks like the two-year prognosis is very good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
umphrey said:

Well he ended up winning a Gold Glove, hitting 36 home runs, and receiving MVP votes... so that’s encouraging.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 9:02 PM Post
Nothing new. This was the injury du jour about 15-20 years ago. All the cool kids were breaking it. It’s thought to be caused by traditional knobs, as opposed to the ax-handle bats. injures heal relatively quickly, but frequently takes over a year to regain power

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 9:26 PM Post
Don't have to regain your power if you start with none.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 9:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thanks for the info on Stearns talking about it during Fan Fest. It seems weird that nobody from the local media knew the surgery was happening for sure. Probably would have been more aware during the season when they're around the team every day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 9:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
From Adam McCalvy’s article, Crew's Urías (fractured hand) out up to 8 weeks:

“If you do the math, I’d say it’s fair to say he is questionable for Opening Day,” Brewers president of baseball operations David Stearns said. “I think he could get there, or it could be shortly after Opening Day.

“We do not see this as something that materially impacts his season. This is an injury that’s fairly common with position players, and the recovery rate is very high here. Obviously, unfortunate that Luis has to go through this, but not a long-term impactful injury.”

————————————————

“Our medical staff believes that this is something you can recover from, come back, be 100 percent, go through the rehab process and be perfectly fine,” Stearns said. “This has become a relatively routine procedure in baseball. Not something we expect to impact Luis’ game long term.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Urias slugged .600 last year in AAA, not sure how that is no power. I was never sold on Arcia because he never showed any ability to drive the ball and didn't ever show he could take a walk. Urias has shown both of those skills even it was more doubles driven when was in his teens.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 10:14 PM Post
Ennder said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Urias slugged .600 last year in AAA, not sure how that is no power. I was never sold on Arcia because he never showed any ability to drive the ball and didn't ever show he could take a walk. Urias has shown both of those skills even it was more doubles driven when was in his teens.

I was sort of kidding, but I'm not expecting big power numbers out of him this year. If he plays good defense and is an upgrade over Arcia at the plate, I'm golden.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 10:20 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Ennder said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

I was sort of kidding, but I'm not expecting big power numbers out of him this year. If he plays good defense and is an upgrade over Arcia at the plate, I'm golden.

This year that makes sense. But I fully expect that at some point while on the Brewers Urias will have a 35 doubles, 5 triples, 20 homer season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 10:21 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
This is a bummer for sure, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Arcia is a roster lock, though. Sogard, Gyorko, Rodriguez and Mathias can all play SS.

Gyorko is an awful defender at short, I have no idea who Rodriguez and Mathias are so it can be safely assumed that Arcia is the starter.

Rod is the new Hernan Perez like guy we claimed from DET. Mathias has some solid AAA numbers and we traded a MiLB guy for him. Either way, they are depth at best and cutting Arcia to play either of them would be rather optimistic and short sighted.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 10:27 PM Post
There is no way Arcia doesn't start the year at SS if Urias isn't ready. Sure he has had issues and I personally don't think he will fix them, but he still is only 25 and has shown above average defense at a defensive spot. If you are a believer in peripherals he was unlucky last year and showed growth in power and plate discipline. If he had played to his career BABIP he would have hit roughly .250 with a .700 OPS. Not super amazing but with good defense still a completely viable stop gap. He showed a lot of growth in underlying stats in 2019 but the results weren't there, the underlying stats usually mean more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 10:28 PM Post
I’m not too concerned if we miss him for a month or so of the season. A lot of concern here and the thought of Arcia, but let’s be honest....Urias isn’t likely to be a huge impact. He really wasn’t much better than Arica last year. I am optimistic Urias could maybe be something more impactful than Arcia, but not sure this year will be woefully different.

This probably isn’t even the worst injury that will happen between now and opening day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2020, 8:40 AM Post
Didn’t former Brewer prospect break his hamate bone and his career fizzled out afterward because he never regained his power. Of course that has to be about 15 years ago which could mean better medicine now in treating such fractures

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2020, 8:52 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
Didn’t former Brewer prospect break his hamate bone and his career fizzled out afterward because he never regained his power. Of course that has to be about 15 years ago which could mean better medicine now in treating such fractures

Yeah, Brad Nelson. But his fizzled career may just have been because he simply wasn't very good, though.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply