LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Urias Wrist - Update: Had surgery 1/28 for hamate bone fracture, out 6-8 weeks

Offline  Re: Urias Wrist Being Evaluated

Posted: January 29, 2020, 8:57 AM Post
Baseball is cruel. I remember Brad Nelson well and his fizzle-out. However I did not realize he was still playing AAA as recently as 2014, Mexican Winter League in 2015. Maybe he was just having fun, but it's crazy to think he was battling back for another shot after like 20 at bats 6 years earlier.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2020, 9:02 AM Post
Now I'm down the rabbit hole and found this Nelson interview from last year which I'm now listening to

https://player.fm/series/the-moonlight- ... lden-bears

Guy hit 27 homers as a sophomore in high school and was apparently an incredible basketball player too.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Urias Wrist Being Evaluated

Posted: January 29, 2020, 9:06 AM Post
This could be a blessing in disguise. Have to believe Arcia will be more motivated than ever coming out of the gate. I still don't doubt he has the ability to hit as he's shown it in stretches but he gets himself into bad habits and then struggles to get out. He certainly can drive the ball to the opposite field. If he gets off to a hot start, he will solidify his trade value and might force his way into the lineup even after Urias returns. It's not like 3B is settled.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2020, 10:02 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
This could be a blessing in disguise. Have to believe Arcia will be more motivated than ever coming out of the gate. I still don't doubt he has the ability to hit as he's shown it in stretches but he gets himself into bad habits and then struggles to get out. He certainly can drive the ball to the opposite field. If he gets off to a hot start, he will solidify his trade value and might force his way into the lineup even after Urias returns. It's not like 3B is settled.

Well, there is Ryan Braun as an option...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2020, 10:21 AM Post
It is the year 2020 and we are still trying to come up with new reasons Arcia will be as motivated as ever.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2020, 10:38 AM Post
It’s unfortunate that Urias might miss a couple weeks early on in the season, but it could have been a lot worse.

A left side of the infield on Opening Day of Sogard and Arcia makes me want to vomit. *shudder*

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2020, 11:27 PM Post
RollieTime said:
It’s unfortunate that Urias might miss a couple weeks early on in the season, but it could have been a lot worse.

A left side of the infield on Opening Day of Sogard and Arcia makes me want to vomit. *shudder*

Worst in mlb unless the Orioles count.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 12:12 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
It is the year 2020 and we are still trying to come up with new reasons Arcia will be as motivated as ever.

He’s young, showed halfway decent plate discipline in the minors at young ages, and he’s had stretches of success before. Given that he has outperformed Carlos Gomez at this point in his career, it’s not worth giving up on a tools kid at a difficult position.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 12:19 AM Post
DHonks said:
MrTPlush said:

He’s young, showed halfway decent plate discipline in the minors at young ages, and he’s had stretches of success before. Given that he has outperformed Carlos Gomez at this point in his career, it’s not worth giving up on a tools kid at a difficult position.

Basically been a 340 obp and 750 ops everywhere but here. He's had 1500 AB with us and he's still 1.5 years from entering his athletic prime.

Sometimes I hate how MKE starts clocks on guys early.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 12:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
Through his age 24 season, Alcides Escobar had 1,288 PAs with a 72 OPS+. He then put up a career high 96 OPS+ in his age 25 season.

Through his age 24 season, Orlando Arcia has 1,676 PAs with a 70 OPS+.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 12:59 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Through his age 24 season, Alcides Escobar had 1,288 PAs with a 72 OPS+. He then put up a career high 96 OPS+ in his age 25 season.

Which is better than his 277/324/731 year as a 22 year old. I'd be delighted if he was just his 22 year old self. That guys is at very least a trade piece. Arby 2/3 is worth 10-12 mil in trade value for those 2 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 7:00 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Now I'm down the rabbit hole and found this Nelson interview from last year which I'm now listening to

Guy hit 27 homers as a sophomore in high school and was apparently an incredible basketball player too.

Went to college with a guy who went to high school with Nelson. It's a small, Catholic school in rural northern Iowa. He's a legend in that area, and rightfully so. 28 MLB ABs, with 2 hits (!), are an impossible achievement.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 7:22 AM Post
sveumrules said:

So we are hoping Orlando Arcia has a fluke season at the same age as Alcides Escobar? He followed up that season with a 53 OPS+. Alcides Escobar now 5,700 PAs and is the same cruddy player he always was. His career OPS+ raised to 73 after all these years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 7:34 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
sveumrules said:

So we are hoping Orlando Arcia has a fluke season at the same age as Alcides Escobar? He followed up that season with a 53 OPS+. Alcides Escobar now 5,700 PAs and is the same cruddy player he always was. His career OPS+ raised to 73 after all these years.

I mean, yeah. I'm not the biggest fan of Arcia seeing a lot of playing time, or even really being on the 2020 team (and I've always been an Arcia supporter). But if he is, I'd love for him to have a fluke good season. Because it makes the team better.

The comparison to Escobar wasn't to say that hopefully Arcia can rise to that level. It was to say "Hey, Alcides had that one year when he was 25 where he didn't look like a pitcher at the plate. Hopefully Orlando can do that this year." Then they can trade him for something more than a bag of balls.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 8:57 AM Post
To be fair if you look at the underlying stats Arcia's 2019 was much closer to his 2017 than his 2018. The results weren't there but everything else mirrored 2017. Last year was a growth season for Arcia even if the results weren't there. More walks, fewer strikes out, barreled the ball more, elevated better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 9:03 AM Post
Cool Hand Lucroy said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Went to college with a guy who went to high school with Nelson. It's a small, Catholic school in rural northern Iowa. He's a legend in that area, and rightfully so. 28 MLB ABs, with 2 hits (!), are an impossible achievement.

It was a great interview. Sounds like an awesome guy. Has absolutely no ill will toward the Brewers or MLB and talks only positively of his baseball career.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2020, 9:22 AM Post
After May he has downright atrocious. His BA was under .200 in the 2nd half and his OPS in the mid .500s. Not sure what the advanced stats were like in that time period (K's BB's Hard Hit rate). I do think his power was just about as bad as you can get. Did he stats improve a bit overall? Yah, but even if they were more reflective of that he still was horrible with the bat and a really bat starter on the diamond.

No need to put lipstick on a pig. Realistically one just hopes we get lucky and Arcia's hot month is April. Then he can go back to his bench role after reality returns. Of course, I am not hugely optimistic Urias will be dramatically different.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Urias Wrist - Update: Had surgery 1/28 for hamate bone fracture, out 6-8 weeks

Posted: February 12, 2020, 1:06 PM Post
“First medical update of Spring Training: Luis Urías' cast was removed Friday. His timetable is tight, but he said, "I want to be ready for Opening Day."
Per Adam McCalvy

Good news here!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Urias Wrist - Update: Had surgery 1/28 for hamate bone fracture, out 6-8 weeks

Posted: February 12, 2020, 1:07 PM Post
Adam McCalvy
@AdamMcCalvy
·
1m
First medical update of Spring Training: Luis Urías' cast was removed Friday. His timetable is tight, but he said, "I want to be ready for Opening Day."

This is promising ... although "want to" and "can" are two completely different things. My guess is he still misses a week or two at the beginning of the year, and will need to at least go on a rehab assignment.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 1:22 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Adam McCalvy
@AdamMcCalvy
·
1m
First medical update of Spring Training: Luis Urías' cast was removed Friday. His timetable is tight, but he said, "I want to be ready for Opening Day."

This is promising ... although "want to" and "can" are two completely different things. My guess is he still misses a week or two at the beginning of the year, and will need to at least go on a rehab assignment.

Rehab assignment is tricky because minor league games don't start until a week or two after MLB games. Most likely he'd hang in extended spring if he only need an extra week or two. It's one thing to be ready to play, but it's another thing for a guy who has yet to have major league success...to be ready to succeed at the MLB level.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply