LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

YELICH EXTENDED - 9 YEARS $215M, Mutual Option in 2029, Full No Trade, $28 million deferred

Offline  Re: YELICH EXTENDED - 9 YEARS $215M, Mutual Option in 2029, Full No Trade, $28 million deferred
Posted: March 08, 2020, 9:45 PM Post
Couldn’t stay healthy enough to continue the big numbers in his prime. Hopefully he goes out with some big moments.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: YELICH EXTENDED - 9 YEARS $215M, Mutual Option in 2029, Full No Trade, $28 million deferred
Posted: March 09, 2020, 10:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
Ennder said:
That isn't what I said, I said it is more valuable, not more expensive, those are two very different things. The value of a win on a team who wins 70 games is very low. As the wins become more important the value of each WAR becomes higher. If it pushes you into a playoff rather than missing the playoffs the value shoots way up as the team earns a lot of revenue from the playoff games. If the Brewers are going to live in the world where they are always in the hunt for the playoffs but never a sure thing the value of WAR is going to be higher for them than a lot of other teams. That small amount of WAR can easily be the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

That doesn't mean they should be looking to overpay for players. What they generally do is leave some flexibility in payroll and push it up if it looks likely they are going to make the playoffs and sit on it if it looks unlikely. But if the Brewers are going to constantly live in the playoff fringe it is going to make Yelich's contract look better when judging it after the fact.

Fair enough but you can say that for every player on the 25 and also say that for any scrubby upgrade they get for next to nothing at the trade deadline. Lyles and Pom were worth a mint by that logic and they didn't get much of a return at the trade deadline.

I agree, and that's why teams in the playoff hunt are willing to give up future value (prospects) in order to gain that short-term marginal upgrade while teams out of the playoff hunt are willing to give up the "extra WAR" in the current year in order to gain that future value. The "extra WAR" is valuable to the winning team, and not very valuable to the losing team.

In regard to Lyles and Pom, no one would have guessed that they would be as productive as they were. If so, they would have required a lot more to acquire. They have been paid in retrospect this offseason, and we'll see if a good half-season continues into their new deals. All players, and especially relievers, have a very wide variance in a small sample size. Guys with strong track records are going to be more expensive at the deadline, as they are more likely to produce solid results, but even they can have a bad few months and make the GM look foolish for trading for them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 11:26 AM Post
Brewers will be paying Yelich his deferred money through the 2042 season. Looks like it will be $2 million per season for 14 years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 11:31 AM Post
RollieTime said:
Brewers will be paying Yelich his deferred money through the 2042 season. Looks like it will be $2 million per season for 14 years.

So he'll be getting 2 million or more per year until he's 50. That's pretty awesome for him. Even if he goes all Terrell Owens, he won't go broke until at least 50

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 11:34 AM Post
RollieTime said:

Depends on the buyout. If they do the buyout in 2029, he gets $2.5 million from 2031-2042 (12 years, $30 million). If they don't buyout, he gets $2.3 million from 2031-2041 (11 years, $28 million).

Interestingly, Braun's deferred money ends in 2031, so they overlap by 1 year. And Garza's deferred money ends in 2021, right before Braun's kicks in. So they're paying deferred money from 2018-2042.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 11:47 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
RollieTime said:

So he'll be getting 2 million or more per year until he's 50. That's pretty awesome for him. Even if he goes all Terrell Owens, he won't go broke until at least 50

Actually, he could sell his future payments (or a good chunk at least), get money now and then burn that up. Not saying he will. Isn't JG Wentworth a Brewers commercial sponsor?

Its my money and I need it now!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 12:04 PM Post
bork said:
RollieTime said:

Depends on the buyout. If they do the buyout in 2029, he gets $2.5 million from 2031-2042 (12 years, $30 million). If they don't buyout, he gets $2.3 million from 2031-2041 (11 years, $28 million).

Interestingly, Braun's deferred money ends in 2031, so they overlap by 1 year. And Garza's deferred money ends in 2021, right before Braun's kicks in. So they're paying deferred money from 2018-2042.

You are correct. I forgot about the buyout in 2029. I’m not a big fan of deferring money, but I can understand it. $2 million in 2035 will be fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 12:10 PM Post
Can’t complain with paying him $22MM for his age 30-36 years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 1:03 PM Post
Yelich also gets 4 premium tickets to 20 mutually agreed upon home games per year. This adds about $100,000 to the deal

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 4:23 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
RollieTime said:

I didn’t realize TO was on the list, but it’s not surprising since most NFL and NBA players are broke within a couple years of their careers ending.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:19 AM Post
I thought I read that Yelich didnt ask for the NTC but the Brewers flat out just gave it to him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:24 AM Post
stalton said:
I thought I read that Yelich didnt ask for the NTC but the Brewers flat out just gave it to him.

If true that is pretty dumb on the Brewers part. I am skeptical though.

The only thing I read is that an opt-out never came up because Yelich didn't want one.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:35 AM Post
Yelich would get 10/5 rights (i.e a full on trade clause) early on during the extension years anyway. So a no-trade clause would essentially affect only the first 3½ years of the deal, the years where the Brewers would most want him here anyway. Which is not to say it has no impact; maybe the situation changes fast and the Brewers would be looking to trade him early, who knows. But trading the last few years of the contract wouldn't have happened without Yelich's approval, with or without a NTC.

When both player and team are eager for an extension, as it seems was the case here, things may be different. But normally things like opt-outs, NTC and such are things that affect the $ amount too. So an opt-out is generally a bad thing for the team, but having that opt-out or NTC could also mean lowering the AAV of the deal and be attractive to some teams. Which to me is incredibly short-sighted, but it's not like I know the first thing about running a team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 3:37 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Yelich also gets 4 premium tickets to 20 mutually agreed upon home games per year. This adds about $100,000 to the deal

Was the team actually negotiating this? Seems like a throw in to me, but the way it is worded it seems like there was back and forth on game tickets. Mutually agreed upon games? Was there really negotiation on this when we are talking about a 215 million dollar deal? Just 20 games? Were we really negotiating this down from say 30 games? Just 4 tickets?
Seems laughable to even include this part in the deal to the public. Just Give him a suite and any tickets he wants and keep it private. We're talking 215 million dollars here to a franchise player and game tickets are part of the negotiation? Kinda like buying a house and negotiating about the doormats.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 8:04 AM Post
rickh150 said:
MrTPlush said:

Was the team actually negotiating this? Seems like a throw in to me, but the way it is worded it seems like there was back and forth on game tickets. Mutually agreed upon games? Was there really negotiation on this when we are talking about a 215 million dollar deal? Just 20 games? Were we really negotiating this down from say 30 games? Just 4 tickets?
Seems laughable to even include this part in the deal to the public. Just Give him a suite and any tickets he wants and keep it private. We're talking 215 million dollars here to a franchise player and game tickets are part of the negotiation? Kinda like buying a house and negotiating about the doormats.

I would guess it is something Yelich requested and they threw in there. I doubt there was any negotiation. The tickets are probably in the owners box, so he probably wanted nice tickets for when family/friends visited. Guys make MLB debuts and you see their family in crummy seats...so I can see why a guy may want to request it. Players always have tickets available to them...but obviously not owners box good.

It is funny it got put into the contract though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 16, 2020, 12:38 PM Post
Probably also includes, 'appearances'... Kind of like when Yount is in town... TV booth, Radio booth, etc etc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2020, 6:58 AM Post
One of the last cheap years is currently being wasted away. Kind of a big bummer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2020, 4:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
One of the last cheap years is currently being wasted away. Kind of a big bummer.

I'll preface my comment by saying I know that there are things going on that are way more important than baseball, and I understand that, and I agree that what they're doing is the right thing. That being said, the baseball fan in me can still take the time to feel like..... man, it really sucks that we're losing a half a year (or more) of Yelich in his prime. Think about the Angels. They have Mike Trout, easily the best player of this generation, and maybe one of the top 5 players ever when it's all said and done (if he stays on the track he's on) and they're losing a huge chunk of a full season of a prime aged season from him.

Like I said, I know it's just baseball, and it doesn't matter much in the great scheme of things, but it's still there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2020, 6:24 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
MrTPlush said:

I'll preface my comment by saying I know that there are things going on that are way more important than baseball, and I understand that, and I agree that what they're doing is the right thing. That being said, the baseball fan in me can still take the time to feel like..... man, it really sucks that we're losing a half a year (or more) of Yelich in his prime. Think about the Angels. They have Mike Trout, easily the best player of this generation, and maybe one of the top 5 players ever when it's all said and done (if he stays on the track he's on) and they're losing a huge chunk of a full season of a prime aged season from him.

Like I said, I know it's just baseball, and it doesn't matter much in the great scheme of things, but it's still there.

It's not just baseball anymore. It represents everything that was great about the normal life we took for granted. I miss the days when Christian Yelich's inevitable departure from the Brewers took up way too much of brain's free time. Give me those days back!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply