LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

YELICH EXTENDED - 9 YEARS $215M, Mutual Option in 2029, Full No Trade, $28 million deferred

Offline  Re: YELICH EXTENDED - 7 YEARS $200M+

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:22 PM Post
Love Yelich the guy and player. While the full details of this have not come out yet, my immediate reaction was why do this if you are the Brewers? I was under the impression that we were generally maxed out for payroll this season. I have to assume that Yelich will get a very sizable salary increase this year.

Personally I would rather have given the money to Rendon, Donaldson or even Arenado if we had this kind of flexibility. I am sure most will disagree with me on this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:23 PM Post
https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/stat ... 0759319553

Significant deferrals, I saw multiple people reporting this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:26 PM Post
wallus said:
Love Yelich the guy and player. While the full details of this have not come out yet, my immediate reaction was why do this if you are the Brewers? I was under the impression that we were generally maxed out for payroll this season. I have to assume that Yelich will get a very sizable salary increase this year.

Personally I would rather have given the money to Rendon, Donaldson or even Arenado if we had this kind of flexibility. I am sure most will disagree with me on this.

Next two years stay in place salary wise. The 7-year, $190 million extension kicks in for 2022. It only bought out the option year.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:27 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
$25 million to one guy in 2027 should not prevent the Brewers from fielding a competitive team and if it has they haven't done a better job of drafting and developing which they have to be better at than they've been historically anyway. Some years will probably not look great for any number of reasons but if there is a talent pipeline, which too often there hasn't been, this contract won't kill them.

The Brewers are paying $21M this season to an aging corner OF who they are platooning between 1st and corner OF positions, hoping to keep him healthy by limiting his ABs...that financial hardship occurs at the start of the same season where they just threw a huge extension to their current best player. This Yelich contract is by no means a financial backbreaker - in fact it's par for the course and a very similar situation to the Braun extension almost 10 seasons ago. Good for them to make it happen for a player who truly is a fan favorite!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:28 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
wallus said:

Next two years stay in place salary wise. The 7-year, $190 million extension kicks in for 2022. It only bought out the option year.

Very interesting. We must enjoy paying left fielders. [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:30 PM Post
Braun had $18M paid over 10 years deferred on his deal (per Spotrac). If Yelich has something similar his salary should be more than manageable for the length of his deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:32 PM Post
wallus said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
wallus said:

Very interesting. We must enjoy paying left fielders. [smile]

It's alot easier to pay left fielders when they're already in your organization and they have several years of existing contract left before they can test the open market. If Yelich got a contract in similar spots to the 3B you mentioned (either UFA, or with very little team control remaining in Arenado's case), we'd be talking $30M+ per season easily...so a price that would be highly unlikely for Milwaukee to afford without significantly harming payroll budgets for the rest of their team longterm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:36 PM Post
I don't even understand why people are worried about the tail end of the deal. In future dollars 24 million will even be less of an impediment in 2029 than it is now and it's not an insurmountable dollar figure in 2020.

In 2020, 24 million is a Ryan Braun and an Avisail Garcia. Come 2029, 24 million will buy 2-3 bench players. This is an absolute steal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:39 PM Post
SeaBass said:
1. Great news, speaks well of the franchise that they can do a contract like this. It shows the league they can and will do it too.

2. Good for Yelich, he wasn't going to go broke on his old contract but after 2 MVP worthy seasons he deserves much more than that, this has to be a weight off his shoulders.

3. I'm a tiny bit apprehensive, I was kind of in the camp that the Brewers should reap the value of his current contract and trade him when the time came for the future of the franchise. That said, I can't criticize it either and it is exciting. Yelich is exactly the type of player that this franchise should work to keep long term as the face of the future. Go Crew!

That's pretty much how I feel. If the goal is to remain competetive every year trading him in a couple years might have been a better move but who can argue with keeping someone like him throughout his prime?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:39 PM Post
Can I say ffffffffffffffffff yeaaahhhhh!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:42 PM Post
The Brewers brass is smart enough to to know they are not always going to be in the thick of it and there are probably some lean years on the horizon, which of course means the demand won’t be there to sell 2.8+ million tickets.

The team is also smart to recognize Yelich is a huge star and has intrinsic value to the team in terms of their brand and marketability. His extension isn’t just about dollars for him hitting in the line up but also the value of selling tickets to games, and gear and creating what is referred to in the business world as “goodwill”.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:42 PM Post
I was listening to Bill Michaels interview Stearns this morning, they talked for a few minutes about a question from a viewer about extending Yelich. That must have been an interesting one for Stearns to answer, knowing that news would break literally at any moment regarding the deal. There's a good chance there is video on the internet somewhere.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:45 PM Post
Absolutely in shock over this one. Guess I’m safe to buy a Yelich jersey now!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 4:52 PM Post

GIF Master

[Show] Spoiler

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 5:01 PM Post
So this takes him through his age 36 year, with an option for age 37

It’s a tremendous deal!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 5:06 PM Post
I don't care if this is a good, bad, or neutral deal for the Brewers. I'm excited that Yelich will be around for a long time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 5:08 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Dang it, marlins won the trade for sure now.

Mark A just threw a bunch of sand for posters complaining the brewers were crying poor to pound. This is exactly what I thought the brewers could be trying to do with their payroll difference from last season. Pumped Yelich will likely retire as a brewer, and as soon as he cant play OF I'm guessing he will do just fine at 1st base!

Halfway through this deal there will be a DH in the NL, most likely....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 5:23 PM Post
A few people floated a roughly 7-200 extension and I laughed it off. I expected 6/240 or 7/280 when he hit FA. I thought there was zero chance he'd sign a 2nd early extension in his career.Strange dude. 34-36 should be real interesting but the next 6 should be good.

Most interesting to me though is that MKE had quotes flying around earlier this off season stating MKE wasn't looking to lock into deals that went beyond the current CBA.

Then in rapid succession Peralta and Yelich got one. It's as if they were waiting to see where talks were headed and saw them move in a way where it instantly became a time to buy. If MKE's spending is about to get a bump from the next CBA, this deal could look that much more manageable due to both buying power and market inflation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 5:30 PM Post
SeaBass said:
Braun had $18M paid over 10 years deferred on his deal (per Spotrac). If Yelich has something similar his salary should be more than manageable for the length of his deal.

It will be interesting to see how much they deferred.

If they could defer about $50 million, then it comes to $20 million a year in the seven years after the two seasons of Yelich's current/new deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 5:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
Maybe new TV deal has something to do with it?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next  [ 239 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply