LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Greatest Catch in Team's 50 Year History

Offline  Re: Greatest Catch in Team's 50 Year History

Posted: March 09, 2020, 12:17 AM Post
I haven't seen the catch in a long time (I don't know if I've seen a replay of it since it was shown on the day it happened), so I don't remember if it's as great as I recall, but Brady Clark had a crazy catch at Coors Field going back in center field. That one was jaw-dropping. Does anyone else remember that catch?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 09, 2020, 7:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
I can't debate some of these catches I can't remember, but I will have to look them up. The one that comes to mind right away was Cain robbing the, what would have been game tying home run in the bottom of the 7th, at Coors. We still ended up losing the game, so I don't know if it makes it as big, but at the time it 2-0 Brewers and we were in the thick of a playoff chase. That felt huge when it happened! I remember going crazy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 09, 2020, 8:43 AM Post
stalton said:
From a satisfying perspective, Gomez's catch of Votto's near HR wins it for me. Smug jerk.

Who, Gomez or Votto?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 09, 2020, 8:54 AM Post
Can't find on the internet but I always liked the catch made by Bill Hall in the play were Corey Koskie got injured, that is a play I always remember.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 09, 2020, 8:57 AM Post
rickh150 said:
Just watching the 1982 Harvey Wallbangers Highlight DVD (like I do every spring), and I saw the Oglivie catch in the corner during the last game of season against the Orioles. I tried to think of a, not only better catch, but also a more meaningful catch. I came up empty on both accounts.

I really don't know how he made that catch. Most do not even attempt to catch it because of how close it was to the wall and the the slide into it is an injury waiting to happen. Also, if he doesn't make that catch, the bases clear and the Brewers possibly or even probably lose that game. Although incomprehendable to me, 1982 could have turned from a crown jewel in the franchise's 50 year history to another 2014 and 2017 ultra collapse.

Cain had a few big ones to save games, but the Oglivie one meant more and was still more difficult, IMO. I'm partly drawing a blank for other catches, but it's tough to beat Spider-Man's catch.

Here's video of that catch: https://youtu.be/-qNR_wC_6Qo?t=9269

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2020, 11:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
jodo23 said:
rickh150 said:
Just watching the 1982 Harvey Wallbangers Highlight DVD (like I do every spring), and I saw the Oglivie catch in the corner during the last game of season against the Orioles. I tried to think of a, not only better catch, but also a more meaningful catch. I came up empty on both accounts.

I really don't know how he made that catch. Most do not even attempt to catch it because of how close it was to the wall and the the slide into it is an injury waiting to happen. Also, if he doesn't make that catch, the bases clear and the Brewers possibly or even probably lose that game. Although incomprehendable to me, 1982 could have turned from a crown jewel in the franchise's 50 year history to another 2014 and 2017 ultra collapse.

Cain had a few big ones to save games, but the Oglivie one meant more and was still more difficult, IMO. I'm partly drawing a blank for other catches, but it's tough to beat Spider-Man's catch.

Are my ears playing tricks on me, or is the Keith Jackson and Howard Cosell calling a BASEBALL game together?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2020, 11:35 AM Post
Global Moderator
For some reason I keep picturing a Brady Clark over the shoulder, backhand catch in my head, but I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2020, 11:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:
jodo23 said:
rickh150 said:

Are my ears playing tricks on me, or is the Keith Jackson and Howard Cosell calling a BASEBALL game together?

Your ears are working just fine. That's them all right!

On an aside, yesterday I clicked on that link and ended up watching from that moment until the rest of the game. The commericals were great LOL! But when an old Miller Lite ad popped up, it sent me down the rabbit hole for the next couple of hours watching all those old "less filling, tastes great" commercials. What a walk down memory lane! Some of them are still pretty funny (unless you don't know who any of those guys are!)

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2020, 12:39 PM Post

Roster Guru
thebruce44 said:
For some reason I keep picturing a Brady Clark over the shoulder, backhand catch in my head, but I can't find anything on the internet about it.

wasn't it turner ward?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2020, 12:42 PM Post
djoctagone said:
thebruce44 said:

wasn't it turner ward?

Definitely Brady Clark. I remember it well. One of the finest catches in the team's history, but it got next to no love nationally due to how terrible the team was at that time.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 3:40 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
djoctagone said:
thebruce44 said:

wasn't it turner ward?

Definitely Brady Clark. I remember it well. One of the finest catches in the team's history, but it got next to no love nationally due to how terrible the team was at that time.

Yeah, I mention it as one of my favorite catches as well earlier in the thread, but, like you, I haven't seen that play in ages. I thought it was one of the best catches I'd seen when it happened, but I'd like a fresh take on it because I don't remember it 100%, besides that it was at Coors Field.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 3:56 AM Post
No doubt it was Benji's catch. I know the Brewers broke the game wide open in the ninth inning and won 10-2 but at the time it was a fairly close game late and with the batter representing the tying run. If Ben doesn't catch that, who knows what would've happened? Definitely a game changer that won the division for them and eventually got them to the World Series.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 2:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
WinkelsasVsSoriano said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
thebruce44 said:

Yeah, I mention it as one of my favorite catches as well earlier in the thread, but, like you, I haven't seen that play in ages. I thought it was one of the best catches I'd seen when it happened, but I'd like a fresh take on it because I don't remember it 100%, besides that it was at Coors Field.

Sorry I missed your post, but good to hear I am not the only one who remembers. I'd love to see a video, because if it is as I remember, it was probably the best catch I've ever seen, given no other context.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 3:38 PM Post
thebruce44 said:

I found the recap, but haven't been able to find video: https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230726127

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 4:10 PM Post
Count me in the Brady Clark catch camp too. That catch sticks in my brain. None others really do.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Greatest Catch in Team's 50 Year History

Posted: March 11, 2020, 5:18 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
stalton said:
From a satisfying perspective, Gomez's catch of Votto's near HR wins it for me. Smug jerk.

Who, Gomez or Votto?

Ha! I meant Votto and his insistance that Gomez showing he had the ball.

Last edited by stalton on March 11, 2020, 8:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 6:30 PM Post
I like Votto. He looks like a mob hitman.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Greatest Catch in Team's 50 Year History

Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
GOmez's catch on the hill in Houston was ridiculous. The game context didn't really matter though, so it doesn't really go down in team history.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 20, 2020, 5:37 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
The catch that Paciorek made earlier in the game was legitimately better. It just wasn't the last out of the game.

Late to the party here but I'm glad someone else remembers the same thing I did. Yount's catch was cool but fairly easy -- one of those sliding or diving catches that the slide or dive made look more spectacular or dramatic than it actually needed to be. He was also Robin Yount. It's the "easy grab" answer to the question but not necessarily ultimately the right answer.

Jim Paciorek was pretty much known, at most, for being Tom Paciorek's little brother who lasted for part of a year in the majors. Mike Felder & Rick Manning (last year in the majors) were ahead of him as OF reserves.

Jim Paciorek's catch, as I recall, was on a ball far, far closer to ruining Nieves' no-hitter. I remember he was charging straight in and it wasn't 'til the very last instant that you knew he had it. It was in the middle of the game and the fact that he was charging straight in didn't make for nearly as cool of a look because of the camera angle, so there weren't glitzy replays to watch that captured as well how impressive the catch was. Fewer cameras were used at the average game in those days. Now you'd have 4-5 different HD & slo-mo views of it, not to mention a couple similar shots of the batter's face in disbelief that the guy actually caught the ball.

I'm not sure Paciorek had a better individual/team moment as a Brewer than that catch.

.... I remember NOT seeing the Oglivie one live b/c we lived in FL and had to watch the other game, relying on "the studio in NY" for the occasional highlight. It was a good catch, but I think part of the mystique about it, besides the game in which it occurred, is because there's not a good view of him actually making the catch. Howard & Keith didn't have it much if any better than the viewers did.

.... I remember that I saw the Brady Clark catch but I honestly don't remember what it looked like. His Brewer career was pretty ordinary but he made some better plays in the OF than you would expect.

.... At least a few of the Cain, Broxton, and Gomez HR-robbing catches have to be near the top of the list. I like the Gomez one on Votto, esp. b/c it ended the game & Votto's disbelief, but there are others in those three guys' cadre of highlights that were more spectacular and/or unexpected. Broxton had a couple in that series a couple summers ago against the Twins that were unbelievable. Cain's certainly had his share of ones like that the past couple years, too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 20, 2020, 7:23 PM Post
No love for Cameron?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply