LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Greatest Catch in Team's 50 Year History

Offline  Re: Greatest Catch in Team's 50 Year History

Posted: March 20, 2020, 10:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Say what you will about defensive metrics, but since UZR/DRS came out in 2002/03 the Brewers CF have ranked 3rd by UZR (+68.1) & 2nd by DRS (+90).

Of course most of that is Cain, Gomez, Cameron & Broxton, but Tony Plush (+5.9 UZR/+5 DRS), Jim Edmonds (+6.8 UZR/+5 DRS in only 360 innings!) & Maverick Phillips (+5.3 UZR/+7 DRS in only 196 innings!!) all did their part too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 21, 2020, 7:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
This thread made me think of the time Robin Yount made a leaping catch at the wall to rob a home run and end an inning. It was a televised game and when they came back from commercial they had to explain that the umpire asked Yount for the ball and he couldn’t produce it.

I can’t find the footage anywhere, but did find this reference on Reddit that I believe is actually inaccurate:

I have a book written by a (now dead) umpire, Durwood Merrill, in which he says Robin Yount did this on a walk-off homer by Kirby Puckett - 4-2 game, two runners on, two out for added drama. Supposedly Yount reached over the Metrodome's big wall and caught the fly ball. Yount pulled his glove back, high-fived the left fielder, and everyone started to run off the field.

They posted a 4-2 final on the scoreboard. Then, as Robin came running past me, I yelled, "Hey, Robin, let me have the ball!" He stopped, shook his head, and laughed. He opened his glove to reveal nothing but leather. The ball was somewhere beyond the center field fence.

So he signaled home run and all was well. The next day Yount told him he had in fact gotten glove on the ball, but it popped out when he hit the fence.

What sucks is that I have no idea if this actually happened, because Merrill's book places the event in 1992, and Play Index isn't giving me any info on such an event happening.

In my memory of the play it didn’t occur at the Metrodome like Merrill’s book apparently suggests. Some other folks on Reddit speculated it was this 1992 game versus the Twins at County Stadium. I don’t think it was that game either because I almost certain it was a night game (I know the play occurred very late in the game, and I thought it happened in extra innings), but I could certainly be misremembering since I was 9 or 10 at the time.

Edit: Just realized Durwood Merrill didn’t even cover that 1992 game which was also opening day, and certainly not the game where Yount faked a catch.

Anyone else remember the details of this great (non) catch?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 21, 2020, 12:28 PM Post
sveumrules said:
Say what you will about defensive metrics, but since UZR/DRS came out in 2002/03 the Brewers CF have ranked 3rd by UZR (+68.1) & 2nd by DRS (+90).

Of course most of that is Cain, Gomez, Cameron & Broxton, but Tony Plush (+5.9 UZR/+5 DRS), Jim Edmonds (+6.8 UZR/+5 DRS in only 360 innings!) & Maverick Phillips (+5.3 UZR/+7 DRS in only 196 innings!!) all did their part too.

Don't forget Domingo Santana's contribution.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 25, 2020, 2:39 PM Post

GIF Master
As great as the ending to Nieves's no-hitter was, my brother and I used to goof on Yount's catch all the time. We would throw a ball in the air, easily catch it, then dive dramatically onto the bed. As kids, it was a constant source of entertainment.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:22 AM Post
sveumrules said:

I've had Terrace Box seats since I moved to Milwaukee.... 16 years ago (damn, I'm old).

I love sitting up high and watching how outfielders track the ball. We've been absolutely blessed.

It was also amazing watching how many times Braun ran the wrong way his first few seasons in LF.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply